• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

TV/film adaptations

robertbevan

Troubadour
Hello fellow scribes.

I've recently had a potentially exciting development. I got an email last week from someone in Hollywood who really enjoyed my first novel, Critical Failures, and expressed interest in working together with me to adapt it for the screen.

While she works for a production company, she didn't feel that my work was right for that company, so her proposal was that she and I would talk on the phone, make some decisions as to whether we felt it was better suited for a movie or a television series, along with some other details, and then we'd bang out a screenplay which she would then pitch to her contacts, and try to catch the attention of a big-wig.

From the research I've done, this is not how the process typically goes. I'm thrilled and terrified at the same time. While I don't want to pass up what could be an amazing opportunity, I also don't want to get duped into signing away the film/TV rights to my work for all eternity.

I feel like I should be looking for an agent at this point to protect me from getting screwed (not that I suspect the interested party is out to rip me off... far from it. I believe she's genuinely interested in this, but also wants to make sure that if anything becomes of it, that she gets her cut as well... which is absolutely acceptable. but you can't be too careful, right?)

Now, if this were a typical deal, where a producer wanted to option the rights to my book, getting an agent would be pretty easy (or so I'm led to believe). When there's money on the table, an agent would be happy to look over the proposed contract, tell me I'm safe, take his cut, and everyone would be happy for the term of said contract. A year later, rinse and repeat.

With this person's proposal, however, I don't have much to lure an agent with, do I?

We were scheduled to talk on the phone sometime next week, but she said she wanted to read the rest of my work before we talked (hey, at the very least i got a few extra sales out of this).

So what I'm looking for here is any relevant information, opinions, or thoughts. Also, are there any specific questions you think I should ask this person when we finally talk on the phone?

Thank you.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I really don't know jack, but here are a couple of things I've heard from reading/listening/etc. Maybe you already know these things. Maybe not. I don't remember the sources, so take this with a ocean of salt.

First, I heard there are people that are called golden retrievers. Their job is to acquire intellectual properties on the cheap by giving the owner a story of some sort, like they're trying to make a low budget film so they can't pay much.

Which brings me to my second bit of info. If someone says they'll give you a share of NET profits, don't do it. Always ask for a percentage of gross. There's a thing called Hollywood accounting where by through accounting magic big grossing movies like Lord of the Rings technically lose money.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

TWErvin2

Auror
Just a couple of thoughts (plus, I've enjoyed a couple of your stories/novel in the series).

Have you officially obtained the copyright to your works (sent off to the US Copyright Office). I know that copyright to you exists as soon as you create it in a digital/tangible form, but the additional step protects you further, especially against damages.

There should be some sort of contract proposed. You could have that reviewed by a literary attorney, or one that specializes in films/film adaptations. That might even be better than an agent...depending on the agent's experience in the area.

Sorry, I don't have anymore information or suggestions. Good luck as you move forward and really hoping this works out!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The old adage - "if it seems too good to be true then it is" is my advice.
I know [from what little I know of the music industry is] that there are a lot of people who say they know exactly the right person to get your stuff in front of. They may even mean and believe it but they usually are all talk and no action.
Get very nervous [suspicious?] if any one wants you to sign anything or put any money up front.