• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Typical Fantasy Creatures vs. Exotic Fantasy Creatures

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I recently started reading The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski and its use of monsters you don't usually see in fantasy (striga, spriggan, dryads) really has drawn me into the world more. I like this different approach dealing with these monsters instead of the typical goblin, orc, ogre deal. I have goblins and ogres in my writing, but I like the idea of creating monstrous races or delving into more exotic creatures.

I'm not discouraging using typical fantasy races and creatures (dwarves, elves, dragons, goblins) but for me it's cool to use stuff you don't normally see as well.

For your perusal, Wikipedia has an awesome list of monsters from all over the world. Check it out and share your favorite atypical monster.

List of legendary creatures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jabrosky

Banned
I like exotic fantasy creatures too. However, my favorite creatures to use for my stories are animals from our world's prehistoric times. Part of the reason why is because dinosaurs were my first love, but I think prehistory has a lot of really cool animals that authors who want more "realistic" fantasy can use.

Mindfire

Istar
Personally, I prefer to make my own fantasy creatures, using mythical and prehistoric animals as "raw material". I think it makes them fit into my worldbuilding more organically because I can tailor them specifically to different environments and they all seem to "mesh" in a way that you just don't get when you copy-paste in your run-of-the-mill orcs/dwarves/elves/etc.

Jabrosky

Banned
Personally, I prefer to make my own fantasy creatures, using mythical and prehistoric animals as "raw material". I think it makes them fit into my worldbuilding more organically because I can tailor them specifically to different environments and they all seem to "mesh" in a way that you just don't get when you copy-paste in your run-of-the-mill orcs/dwarves/elves/etc.
That works too!

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Thanks for this reminder and suggestion.

As soon as I started reading these creatures I started mentally placing them in my world. A few will stick, a few will be modified, but the world will be more complete.

Thanks!

Queshire

Istar
When I read the thread title, I figured it was about making your own creatures vs using already established creatures, not using norse-by-way-of-tolkein creatures vs using creatures from other mythologies. One of my biggest influence in my fantasy development was D&D and they've always had a good mix of classic and exotic monsters in their monster manuels so that's what I prefer. The classics are classics for a reason but it's always a pleasent surpise when something different is tossed in. In particular I'm a fan of the Japanese Yokai, commonly translated as Demons. Man, the Japanese haves some MESSED UP monsters in their mythology. Take the Tanuki for instance. One of the most common Yokai in the west, often described as a shape changing raccoon. Well one feature missing in most western depictions of Tanuki is that they traditionally have a HUMONGOUS nut sack, as in the thing betweem men's legs. It's supposed to be so big that a Tanuki can, and often has to, carry it over its shoulder like a, well, sack. Then there's the Kappa, which most often described as a turtle man, with a bowl like indention in their head which is filled with water. That water is the source of the Kappa's power, if it gets spilled, they're screwed. A common way to get them to spill it is to bow to them. The Kappa will bow back spilling the water. They kill people by sucking their life force out of their butt hole, and can be warded off by writing the name of the person you want to protect on a cucumber and giving it to the Kappa. And those are two of the most popular Yokai!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I used the Obakemono Project extensively when I was researching for my "alternate dimension fantasy" fantasy novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo one year. I used kappa (the traditional kind not the cute kind), tanuki, kirin, tengu, etc. I live in Japan so I see lots of strange stuff on a daily basis, so it's great inspiration for writing. I highly recommend living abroad somewhere as it will definitely boost your inspiration I think.

Yeah, this thread can also be about creating your own monsters vs. using "templates" but that wasn't the intention. Either way works for me! :)

Jess A

Archmage
This topic is of great interest to me.

I like to create creatures to suit certain environments/habitats. Some have culture, others do not. I have some dragons around, but they are my own versions. I also like other mythical creatures which I may have come across in my life/reading/travels somewhere. I went to China last year and took a lot of notes on their mythological creatures. I photographed certain statues as well. I went to some stunning places in Canada, the US and here in Australia and imagined what sorts of creatures could live in the various ecosystems. Faerie mythology is another source of interest, among others.

I agree with Jabrosky - prehistoric beasts are great, too. I like dinosaurs but also other ancient creatures and plants and both feature in my novel to a degree - there are no large dinosaurs (but there are other nasties to make up for that).

Some of the other species in my book are based on creatures I dreamed up. I've also got a mix of real and created species in my ecosystems. Some are basic real-world with my own modifications - basic ones which could logically be found in real ecosystems.

I don't want my readers to get lost but I want them to use their imaginations and I want to invite them to step into the world which I see strongly in my mind.

---

I am rather a fan of the Qilin/Kylin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

Last edited:
Why do so many strange things come from Japan?

and from a japanses point of view (I'm not japansese, but still needs to be said), why do so many strange things come from europe?

it's hard to say somethings strage because its normal to them, and their cultures just as relevant :p

I think it depends more on what you want them to do, rather than whats "exotic" or "typical". If you want an evil, marauding race then most people think of something like orcs and the like, bt it dosen't have to be. Just pick a critter you feel fits what you want it to do and go with it. You should be explaining the basics of it anyway, no matter how typical, so it should be easy to incorporate an exotic creature in the same way

The only thing I'd say avoid is picking a creature with a well established behaviour (mythical or not ;)) and throwing that behaviour out the window whilst keeping the name. Many fantasy creatures we know more by behaviour than apperance, and as such shifting it like that can cause the same effect as calling a rabbit a smeep.

but yeah, there's no need to avoid an Orc because it's common, or an Alarune because its exotic. If they work in the story, then they're equally as valid.

Not counting mythology (which is weird the world over), it seems that children's fiction is more likely to have weird stuff, and fiction for adults is more likely to have standard stuff. (This applies to more than just the monsters--I can't think of any Western work for adults that has magic as weird as Harry Potter, nor can I think of any Eastern work for adults that has a setting as weird as Soul Eater.) This can work to the advantage of adult fiction, which typically has much more consistent and coherent worldbuilding, but it can also be disappointing to graduate from children's fiction to adult fiction and realize that the sense of wonder has mostly been lost.

Mindfire

Istar
and from a japanses point of view (I'm not japansese, but still needs to be said), why do so many strange things come from europe?

it's hard to say somethings strage because its normal to them, and their cultures just as relevant :p

Europe doesn't have "tentacle erotica" dating back hundreds of years. Just sayin.

Queshire

Istar
I don't really see the magic in Harry Potter being that weird, it strikes me as pretty par for the course when it comes to Magic, especially when you compare it to the magic in the Dresden Files series. As for Soul Eater... hm.... yeah, I agree that's pretty unique for its medium but if you compare it to like music lyrics and videos that's nothing.

I do get what you're saying though, and I agree, but I think it's our job as writers to try and overcome such false divides like adult vs child and sci fi vs fantasy!

Jabrosky

Banned
I've been in a creature-designing mood lately. So far I've uploaded on my DeviantArt page a large grazing reptile that behaves like a buffalo and a lion-like big cat that's adapted for scavenging. More will come soon!