• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unusual Trends in Your Writing

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I've noticed at least one odd trend that shows up in nearly all of my stories; it doesn't have any impact on the plots aside from a handful of specific examples (Conall, pretty much), but it's prevalent enough that I can't help but comment on it. The trend in question is thus: The majority of my couples involve a fair-haired man (or more masculine person, in the case of gay couples) and a darker-haired woman/more feminine person. I have no idea why, but this is so for a LOT of my couples, even those in stories I've long since abandoned. Examples:

Cadell (blond) and Líadan (brunette)
Liam (blond) and Seele (pink/redhead)
Dom (blond) and Laeriel (black-haired)
Vincent (light brunet) and Diana (darker brunette)
Loegaire (blond) and Meabh (black-haired)
Conall (blond/silver) and his various wives and lovers (all redheads... yeah, he has a "thing" for them.)
Zephyros (blond) and Jason (brunet)
Olan (redhead) and Ciaran (black-haired)
Caradoc (redhead) and Saraid (dark brunette)
Eoran (blond) and Edenel (redhead)
Aramis (blond) and Meriel (redhead/purple [when dyed])
Coran (white) and Nedara (black-haired)

And for comparison's sake, the reverse:

Luthais (black-haired) and Sheona (redhead)
Jaebi (black-haired) and Ariel (blonde)
Casper (black-haired) and Heidi (brunette)
Vincent (light brunet) and Christine (blonde)

So what are some weird trends or recurring character traits you've noticed popping up in your writing?

Addison

Auror
I haven't noticed anything about the characters. But I do find that when I start a story I start at a distance and zoom in each time I begin. Each story has their own perspective/distance. But my method of beginning starts the same each time.

Oh! There is something about the characters. In each story there's always at least one otherworldly/supernatural/just plain weird or out-there character. In a sci-fi short I have a little robot mouse who works security and agriculture maintenance on a farm. There's a squishy alien in a suburban neighborhood. A zombie who loves bugs and is afraid of the dark. They're balanced by normal characters, but there's always one.

Jabrosky

Banned
Let's see...

1. My heroines are almost all black African women.

2. If these heroines have love interests, they're always men from lighter-skinned races (usually white, but sometimes Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian).

3. My villains are usually Middle Eastern or Asian (right now I have an Indian female villain). Occasionally I might have a black male villain who's the heroine's half-brother.

4. My villains' religions are commonly based off Judaism, Christianity, or Islam (though of course the aforementioned Indian villain is Hindu-influenced).

5. A lot of my heroines enjoy hunting large and dangerous wild game.

6. My settings' European-influenced cultures tend to be more tribal or "primitive" than their African and other non-Western counterparts, and they often draw from Germanic or Celtic cultures.

7. Every one of my fantasy worlds has at least one jungle area teeming with dinosaurs.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have parent issues. It seems that most of our adult characters have parents that were either abusive, negligent, absent, or dead. I'm going through my head trying to think of any characters we introduce as adults who have good parents... yeah, I'm coming with precious few. As parents themselves they do better, though. It drives my mother insane.

Can't say writers don't engage in therapy/wish fulfillment!

Speaking of wish fulfillment, our central series family's house is a faerie house that does its own dusting, dishes, and sometimes laundry (though that can be hit or miss).

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
This made me think...
Four of my last five projects have had Courtesans/Prostitutes [make up your own terms after that] who are seeking redemption... and they all have their child/children/grandchildren with them.
I think I have issues - I'm just not sure what they are...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I have parent issues. It seems that most of our adult characters have parents that were either abusive, negligent, absent, or dead. I'm going through my head trying to think of any characters we introduce as adults who have good parents... yeah, I'm coming with precious few.

Same here. With all of the characters where I've added back story enough to include parents there have been some sort of parent issues. I realized fairly soon that that was the case though and the plan is to try and have more of my characters have "normal"/standard parents.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I do an oddly large number of transformations. It's something I picked up when I was roleplaying D&D in chat rooms back in High School. It's a go-to conflict element for me. I don't have any planned yet in my current work, but it's probably just a matter of time.

I think good transformations are under-used, anyways.

C

Chessie

I tend to lean towards dark and sarcastic no matter what I try to write.

I haven't noticed anything about the characters. But I do find that when I start a story I start at a distance and zoom in each time I begin. Each story has their own perspective/distance. But my method of beginning starts the same each time.

Oh! There is something about the characters. In each story there's always at least one otherworldly/supernatural/just plain weird or out-there character. In a sci-fi short I have a little robot mouse who works security and agriculture maintenance on a farm. There's a squishy alien in a suburban neighborhood. A zombie who loves bugs and is afraid of the dark. They're balanced by normal characters, but there's always one.

Addison, The story of the robotic mouse that works security sound brilliant to me, id love to give it a read!

Ireth, i think we all have trends, actually breaking them can sometimes be harder than coming up with main story points.Which is always one of my hardest things to do, because even if something fits, i have that feeling i could do better, Just annoys me, Someone could publish one of my writings and rate it the best book ever written and i could re-read it ten times and have ten things i want to change!

Ophiucha

Auror
  • Nearly all of my protagonists are either mute or blind. I have no reasonable explanation for this. I'm not mute or blind. Until I started doing research for some of these characters, I knew very little about the communities. I'm not very involved in disability-based activism. But for some reason, all of my plots seems to just naturally lead to having a mute or blind protagonist. This has been the case for about six years.
  • Most of the religions I create are based either on Lovecraftian lore or Islam. Not to conflate the two, of course. The Lovecraftian lore makes sense, and I often expand on it with a bit of Greek mythology (Hades/Persephone) and include some Biblical angels to maintain the body horror theme. I can't really explain the Islam thing except by saying that I guess, if I were forced to be religious myself, I would probably pick Islam. I feel the most comforted by the way they pray and their imagery and their God, if that makes any sense. So if I am writing about religious characters at all, I tend to build their religion with strong Islamic influences.
  • I spend a lot of time developing the plant and animal life of my world, and then spend a lot of time talking about food. This one, though not intentional, is almost certainly influenced by the fact that I am a cook and I enjoy food science and gardening and the rituals behind hunting in various cultures (though I've never done it myself). I've included sub plots about trying to find some rare ingredient for a dish. It's just sort of what I focus on with my worldbuilding.

Also, I tend to have a lot of queer, POC, and female characters, but that is intentional.

I have few funny little signatures which always turn up in my stories. There is always a restaurant called The Rusty Nail. The number 242 (my personal magic number) always turns up somewhere.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've noticed recently, the farther I progress into a story, the longer chapters become. Chapters at the end of Act 1 are nearly twice as long than those at the beginning.

Hopefully, that is a product of knowing story elements better than when I first started the actual writing.

Merlin34

Acolyte
There's only one overarching trend I've noticed, and it'll stop the second I write some fantasy that isn't urban or crossover fantasy, but here goes: villains with Ph.D's.

Worldstrider has Dr. Briana Eyestone, an engineer working with the MC's physicist father, Dr. Julian Anderson, on a secret government project (Project Worldstrider) to bridge the gap between Earth and parallel universes,

The Final Winter has Dr. Eve Fannon, a vulcanologist who is the ex-wife of the MC's stepfather and mother of the MC's stepsister, turned insane by repeated visits to volcanic islands in the North Atlantic, where Surtr, the king of the fire giants in Norse mythology (the way to Muspellheim is via Surtsey), warped her mind, gave her pyrokinetic powers, and turned her into his servant.

And finally, Galeforce has Dr. Francis Franklin, a geneticist capable of rewriting his own DNA and rapidly "evolving" to suit the situation, and a double agent for the Soviet Union in an alternate-timeline present day where the Cold War never ended.

I really don't know what's up with that. At least Worldstrider has plenty of doctorate-wielding heroes.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
The number five always turns up in mine. Five main characters in one story, and there are five incarnations of the character from that story that shows up in other stories.

My characters hate me. They often have one of the following:

Born from incest/violence.
Watch powerlessly its family dye because of him/her.
It is 'expelled' from family and community because he/she is too 'strange' to them.
They lost everyone they know more than once.

Edankyn

Minstrel
While not an activist myself, many of my friends as well as my wife are fairly involved in equity feminism and gay rights groups. I find this to influence my writing a ton as I have disproportionately high level of female/gay lead characters. However, race/sex/sexual orientation isn't normally an important aspect to the story for me.

C

Chessie

Hmmm...everyone has such interesting habits that go into the writing. I wanted to add that I have this thing for families. My characters always end up having children eventually or already have them. And my characters don't stay single for long before I pair them with someone. I hope no readers call me out on this someday...but I think everyone deserves someone.