• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Upcoming fantasy games

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Are there any upcoming fantasy games that you are looking forward to? For me the big one is Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim.

What are you most anticipating?

Erm, would Batman: Arkham City count?? Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting this game. The first was an inch short of utterly brilliant and this one looks to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor. Bring on October 21st 2011 :D

Behelit

Troubadour
I don't know if I'm super psyched about it, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (What's up with all of the "sky" themes?) Pretty sure I will actually get that considering my gf and I are fans of the series(Who isn't?). Even if it requires one of those silly motion plus accessories. Ah, Wii!

Will it top Link to the Past? Probably not. It is possible to succeed Twilight Princess, in my book.

I haven't been keeping much an eye out on games as I don't own a current-gen console. Let's face it, PC is thoroughly neglected as far as game releases go.

Artless

Minstrel
The new Dues Ex game.
Fantasy, but of a different kind.
That and, of course, Skyrim... Here's hoping it is more memorable than Oblivion, which I never even bothered to finish!

Ophiucha

Auror
Let's see... Alice: Madness Returns, Dawn of Fantasy, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Jurassic Park: The Game (yeah, alright, not really fantasy, shut up), The Last Guardian (from Team Ico, of Shadow of the Colossus fame), Guild Wars 2, Diablo III, and, more than anything else, the PS3 (HD!) rerelease of Shadow of the Colossus.

Behelit

Troubadour
Behelit, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time is what it's all about :D That brilliant creation for the N64 was a masterpiece.

OoT is easily number 2, it's practically on the arm of the throne with LttP. Did you hear they are rereleasing Oot for the 3DS? I also read an article the other day that stated they MAY come with a toy(yet playable) ocarina. Here's a link to the article. I don't have a 3DS nor do I consider getting one, but I figured its worth a mention.

Ophiucha said:
rerelease of Shadow of the Colossus.

Now is that HD as in scaled to 720 or graphical makeover and in 720?

As for Alice: Madness Returns, apparently there's a release of some storybook for iOS devices meant to preface the game. Here's a link to that.

Ophiucha

Auror
Now is that HD as in scaled to 720 or graphical makeover and in 720?

It's 'remastered' and seemingly extensively given some of the new features, basically the same thing they did with the first two God of War games. They are also apparently making the games (they are re-releasing their game Ico as well) 3D-TV compatible, and they may also include a set of an achievements for those who care for trophies. Other games they are doing this with, or already have, are... Sly Cooper, Lara Croft, Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia, I believe. I think Sly is even Playstation Move compatible.

Chilari

Staff
Guild Wars 2. I've been watching all the videos they've been releasing and reading all the articles and everything. It looks so good. What an MMO always should have been.

Did you hear they are rereleasing Oot for the 3DS?.
Yeah I did know abou this. Not really interested though. A DS version could never come close to the console one and so I wouldn't waste the money, not that I have a 3DS anyway :/
As for remastered games. I've got all 3 God of War games (absolutely INCREDIBLE series by the way if you're into brilliant over-the-top violence) and the first two were indeed remastered. The difference is very noticeable so I would imagine Shadow of The Colossus will also have a big difference in graphics.

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 are the bigs ones that I'm waiting on. Dungeon Siege III was just released last Tuesday - so obviously I'm almost done with that.

for me, it's bioshock infinate as the fantasy (science fantasy anyway :D) game I'm looking forward to. I'm not looking forward to mass effect because EA have got their hands on it, and they have a history of devestating good games into a line of clone-like sequals such as you'd find in a sports game, and then releasing 'patches' witch degrade the performance of the prequal until you buy the new one

and number 2 annoyed me storyline wise - oh look, the reapers want to destroy all life and biological matter... run, it's a living, biological reaper !?!

Definately Elder Scrolls Skyrim for me. Oblivion is probably my favourite game to date if you exclude the nostalgia producing Age of Empires 2. Ah, AOE2, training nothing but suicide bombers and cheating to spawn race cars. AoE3 didn't understand such simple niceties.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Skyrim is about the only fantasy I'm looking forward to, but I can't wait to play some upcoming sci-fi games like Mass Effect 3, Prey 2, and Deus Ex.

Chilari

Staff
So nobody else looking forward to Guild Wars 2 then? My fiance and his friends used to play FFXI; they tried playing FFXIV when that came out but it was shit so they stopped. Recently Square Enix changed the payment method for FFXI and it has all sorts of things wrong with it, so they've just stopped. Now they play League of Legends, but they say that when GW2 finally comes out, they'll give it a go and play with me.

Kelise

Maester
Uncharted 3 and Arkham City - though neither are fantasy, exactly. I'm getting the collectors editions for both, because my god, the extras they come with are so yum.