• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Uploading a story...

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Bit lost trying to upload a story but it's saying " The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension." what is an extension ?

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
An extension is the little string of characters after a file name to tell systems what sort of file it is. .doc .pdf .txt .rtf etc.

It sounds like either you're trying to upload the wrong type of file entirely, or perhaps the file has been renamed and the extension has been removed from the name; your own system may still be able to read it in some circumstances but others might not know what it is without the extension. You can rename it manually and add the extension back on which should solve the problem if that's your issue.

If you're trying to upload the wrong type of file you can open it in your usual writing program, select 'save as' and save it as the right type of file.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Thanks it was already a doc file so renamed it again as a doc file but it still keeps rejecting it.?

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
This site? Ah. Not something I've done but it looks like you create a portfolio first and then you upload entries to it. It says the supported filetypes are png, jpg, jpeg & gif just below the upload button so presumably that's a cover image for your portfolio. Try creating one and then hopefully the 'upload entry' option will be clear and you will be able to upload your .doc to your new portfolio.

[edit - brevity]

Last edited:

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
No still keeps rejecting the new doc extension. also it's hard to follow the instructions. I'll be ok with the image sides.

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
Ok, not sure what to suggest beyond trying a different filetype, .docx or .rtf for example. The annoying thing is there will be lots of people on here who know exactly what the problem is but it's night time for a lot of users - if nothing else you won't have to wait long until someone more sensible turns up.

I don't want to create a portfolio myself to prod the system because it would just be a load of clutter that needed deleting so this is pretty much the furthest I can advise on. Just to check: You've clicked on 'create portfolio', a form has come up, you've added an image, filled in all the descriptions and clicked 'create portfolio'. Something magical has happened and you've ended up with a portfolio. When you try to upload an entry it spits out your .doc and laughs maniacally. That about sum it up? If so I'm afraid we need a responsible adult to help us.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Lol ! Quite honestly I'm not bothered about creating a portfolio anyway, just want to post the story anyway so why not on here ?

Insolent Lad

Maester
If you want to add a story to your portfolio, I think you need to copy and paste text. The upload is for images to accompany it. That's the way I did it anyway.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Great thanks ! Same here I opened a portfolio with the title of the story then pasted the text of the story which is where the problem starts saying it needs an extension which means .doc etc. which it already has. The rest about the pics etc seems straightforward enough if I could only get into it, yet it keeps going on about it needs an extension ?

Hi Jess,

Don't know a lot about portfolios, but just read through the "about" bit. One of the things it says is that when you create a portfolio you need to create a cover image. Could it be that you're trying to load a word file - ie your story file - into the place where the cover image goes? The graphics file will likely have a very different file extension - eg .jpeg, .gif, .png etc.

Cheers, Greg.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Hi Greg

Thanks for your help. I don't know a thing about portfolios at all, but obviously well used to the jpg, gif. and jpeg endings being pics and word docs ending doc or pdf etc. which makes it all so odd that the only option where to put a word doc is into a picture. My guess is that the word text box is somewhere else or the pic box is in the wrong place to begin with, so it would help if there were some clear instructions for the non techies....

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
This is the bit below that doesn't make sense as there's no option for word docs only jpg etc....??

A description of what you will be portfolioging about. eg, if your portfolio is about cooking, explain what kinds of food you like and what types of recipes that you will post entries about.

A portfolio description is required. The minimum amount of characters required is 100.

You must upload at least 1 image attachment.
Max Allowed File Size: 100 KB
Max Allowed Files: 5
Accepted file types: png, jpg, jpeg, gif

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
I think that this is the 'create a portfolio' page and that's for your portfolio's cover image. Once you've created one (or two) you should then be able to upload an entry which is a different screen.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Thanks guess what appeared....:D

Max Allowed File Size: 500 KB
Max Allowed Files: 5
Accepted file types: png, jpg, jpeg, gif