• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using every stereotype: poking fun or really insensitive?

buyjupiter

Maester
Amidst the general quirkiness of chat last night, the subject of what turns people off in reading came up and two of the things were funny names and sports in fantasy. I was joking when I said "Her Royal Highness Fluffy Unicorn" and then came up with the idea of roller derby unicorns. (I know. I know.)

Now, after thinking about it some more and kinda falling in love with the idea of making something so ridiculous work...I'm curious to know if using every stereotype available about queer women would be seen as transgressive and poking fun at the stereotypes (as I'm part of the acronym) or would it be seen as really insensitive?

I know that in-group discussions about stereotypes and poking fun at them are socially acceptable, as I've participated in many discussions about gender/romantic stereotypes with other queer women. However, taken out of that context and without me making a big deal of my own personal labels and identifications as an author, can I keep that kind of fun in the piece?

How far can you go before it seems like you, the author, are being a jerk?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think a lot of it would depend on where you chose to publish. For example, only the subset of people you're talking about would understand why I would find anything you add to the story that happens to be in the shape of a dolphin to be hilarious, as well as naughty. If you toss that to the world at large, not everyone will get the joke. But, that being said, I don't identify as queer, I'm bi. As far as the really polarized, political and vocal lesbian community is concerned, I'm a pariah who is incapable of making up her mind. These are also women who, in my experience, lack any sense of humor they are aware of. So... you might catch some crap.

But, that also being said, satire is funny. Stereotypes exist because they are based partially in truth, and pointing them out in a lighthearted way can be entertaining. Yeah, some people might think you're a jerk. But, lots of others will find the funny with you. You're not going to write your story with mean intent and cast your character in a demeaning light, I'm sure. And that's where the line is drawn, imo.

buyjupiter

Maester
At this point I'm thinking that the basic idea would be salable to a couple of magazines (that purport to want normally underrepresented characters in their spec fic), but most likely will end up in the "only publishable on my blog" pile.

I know I'll piss someone off. That's inevitable. I intend to write fully-realized characters that I write about as non-judgmentally as I can. I think you may have given me something to strive towards (satire) rather than running away from (crossing the line).

Anyhow, I was needing another team name, Lowan. Maybe "The Bopping Dolphins", for another part of the acronym? ;)

So, I am one of the audience members who would not get 99% of the stuff you're talking about. I was reading A.E. Lowan's reply to you and was thinking, "Dolphins? Whaa...? I don't get it." Clearly, I am not qualified to speak to your unique concerns.

However, for what it's worth, here are my thoughts. I am the type of person who enjoys a good laugh at my own expense. I also love satire. An over-the-top stereotype (of anything) can also sometimes make one's audience realize how biased they are, especially when handled by a skilled writer and in juxtaposition with the truth. You are right in saying that no matter what, someone will be offended. I never cease to be amazed by humanity's general lack of a sense of humor.

Something to think about: a lot of books considered offensive at the time changed the world around them.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'll tie in with something deilaitha mentions - enjoying a good laugh at your own expense. It's my impression that you can get away with a fair bit as long as you're also making fun of yourself. I think this is something stand-up comedians make use of a lot. They make fun of their own ethnicity, weight, baldness, sexual preference, size etc and they usually get away with it because they're making fun of themselves so the viewer knows it's not as serious.

If you can in some way incorporate that into the story, you'll probably be reasonably fine.

As for team name - what about Popping Porpoise? Just so you can have the MC be a member of that team and the story could be called Porpoise With A Purpose.

I should point out I completely missed the significance of the entire dolphin thing. :p

buyjupiter

Maester
I had to look up the dolphins thing, because I've known for so long that other species have gay/bisexual relationships I'd forgotten that people sometimes are all "ooh look other animals are gay/bisexual!"

@Deilaitha: Most of the stereotypes I'd be referencing, Ellen Degeneres/Margaret Cho have already made plenty of jokes about. I'm talking flannel shirts, short hair, etc.

A couple of things might more well known in-community, but not outside of it are: roller derby being a lesbian thing. There are straight derby players, but they're few and far between. Unicorns are/were frequently mentioned in my community as something that showed overwhelming optimism, i.e. unicorns and rainbows. (There are several web comics that have combined the two in some hilarious ways.)

@Svrtnsse: I always poke fun at myself. I'm doing/saying really stupid stuff all the time. I don't know how I could work in an alternate POV, but I like the team name.