• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Video Blogging

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So as one feature of my blog, I think I'm going to start doing a video blog every so often. I'm going to sort of "ramble" about whatever kind of fantasy related stuff I'm excited about at the moment. Talk about my own writing some and junk like that. I saw another blogger do that recently and I really enjoyed the video she did. She talked about signing her first book deal and it was cool to see her talk about it instead of just writing about it.

What do you think about this idea as an occasional "curve ball?"

GeekDavid

Auror
Like most things, a lot depends on the execution. If done well, it could be a hit. If done poorly, well...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I know it's definitely something I'm WAY too shy to do - for starters, I have a voice for adult content and a face for radio - but I've seen other writers use it to great effect. Your avatar (which looks like your author pic, I assume?) suggests you're a good looking guy, so go for it!

teacup

Auror
I'm afraid I'm far too attractive to do a video blog myself ;P

But yeah, I think video blogs can be good. They could probably be a good change for readers of your blog, and I suppose bring in more viewers who prefer vlogs.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Well thanks! :)

The only concern is that I have a strong Southern accent that may put people off. But I'm trying to embrace that more and not worry about it as much. I mean one of my favorite writers Robert E. Howard was from Texas.

I can be shy on occasion but I'm a teacher so I have to get over that quickly. I think just posting a video with ideas of what I want to talk about wouldn't be too bad. I'll keep it short and sweet so it's not something people have to sit there and watch forever. I can be pretty high energy when I want to be, so maybe if I ham it up some, it'll be interesting.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Just be sure to take advantage of the medium, even if just at the very basic level. Something like:

- Set up an area with every fantasy-related thing you have sitting in the background.
- Maybe get a prop, maybe with a logo, that can kind of take center-stage and help brand you a little. My first thought is something from the MythicScribes store, but it could be anything.
- Put out the game or book you're reviewing, hold them up for a second when you're going to talk about them.
- Play around with visual effects, but don't use anything unless it looks great. Better nothing than bad visuals. The good news is that once you find a template-style, using it is easy.
- Practice by doing several different vidcasts in front of the camera before you worry about recording.

There are more advanced things you could do, of course. I have friends who earn a living making youtube videos - mostly doing movie reviews - and they put a lot of work into it, scripting banter, using props, changing settings, and acting out parodies during the reviews. I also know somebody who helps film for a youtube series that does comedic storytelling. There's a lot which can go into it.

You don't have to go that far. There's an audience for videos, there might be an opening for doing something in fantasy, but you've got to hold your own. Maybe all you're doing is sitting at your desk chatting into the camera - that's fine - but you want to do a solid job of it or it'll hurt your reputation more than help.

GeekDavid

Auror
Phil, one more thing that just occurred to me.

If you don't already have one, set up a dedicated YouTube channel for your video blogs, and make sure your "print" blog links to your YouTube channel, and vice-versa. That way you get browsers from a huge website on your blog.