• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Visual Guide for Inspiration?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm looking at picking up a book as a visual guide to flip through for inspiration as well as real-world information. Right now I'm looking at this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0756698383/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But I'm going at this blind. I thought maybe somebody here would have a recommendation? Again, I'm looking for something visual (for inspiration) as well as informative (so I'll be less of a dummy). I'm open on the actual topic - weapons, fashion, history, myths, maps, anything related to writing fantasy is good with me.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think maybe you need a trip to the library, or a brick and mortar book store (if you can find one, there are not many near me). I do have some reference guides on the shelf, but the internet usually serves this purpose for me. All of those that appear on that webpage look cool to me. I would enjoy having any of them.

I used to have a book like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Writers-Complete-Fantasy-Reference/dp/1582970262, But now that I look on my shelf it seems to be missing, hmmmmm..... Anyway, I had found it useful to have.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I rely on the Net; it's far richer visually. My primary tool is Google search, then flip over to the Images page. Close behind is Google Earth, which is great for getting detailed looks at specific places. Pinterest (or Instagram) has proven randomly useful. Mostly it's just shrug-worthy.

Finally, a shout-out to the Internet Archive, especially for those wonderful steel engravings and woodcuts from earlier centuries. These can be found off Google search, but at the Archive one can find whole books of images.

I noticed the OP referenced a book of military objects. The Osprey books are invaluable for military images.

D

Deleted member 5627

Not sure if you're looking for this, but I use Pinterest every day since I'm writing my novel.

It is just images and drawings that the artist upload, not have any further information nor a developed explanation, just images. I do not know, but I can be lost myself during hours looking at what the people has been capable of create. For now, all my characters born from the inspiration I had viewing Pinterest, and I'm really happy for it.

Also, creating an account help Pinterest to recommend you what you'll probably like.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
If you are looking for military information [weapons, gear, uniforms], then I like looking through Osprey Men at Arms series.
If you can find them cheap they are worth finding. Aside from that, I like a good Google search [other search engines are available] and I try to riff off the feel I'm looking for by changing the key words or selecting colours.
If I'm in a Sci-Fi mood, I often end up at Concept Ships trying not to salivate too much...