• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Visuals ... of everything ... and of architecture

Johnny

Acolyte
So I somewhat got tired of writing those long chunks of text that no one reads anyway...
... and then, about a month ago, I started an artblog for my word. This one.

So far so good (while this is no amazing art, I managed to put some decent ideas onto the canvas).
The world is somewhat alien, and the entities of the world are a bit unique, too. This, along with the well-known narrow-mindedness of us humans, justifies the need for imagery.

Now, I'm having some real troubles depicting architecture. I mean, I do have about five main architectonic themes defined in written form (as described in one of those texts no one will ever read), but I'm failing quite hard when it comes to transferring this into imagery. Seems not to be my thing, at all.

Hey you! Got any tips on architecture?
Feel free to throw in relevant images - preferably the weird, the unusual, the forgotten, and the unconventional ones ...

Last edited:
I'm a game designer and this is a perennial problem - i.e.: designing building styles and spaces/layout.

I'd recommend playing with Sketchup - we used it very successfully for creating roughs for artists to use for finished work. there's a great library of buildings and architectural pieces you can just download as reference for it (and it's easy to build more).
It's relatively easy to use and centered around creating buildings (although I do hate some of the interface and controls). Despite that its the fastest and most accessable way of creating building mockups I know.

Home | SketchUp

I'd also recommend this book as a really important first primer on architecture and designing spaces and forms. It encompasses building design from across the world and throughout history (using lots of beautiful line drawn images) and it's probably the best single reference book you could buy.

Architecture: Form, Space and Order: Amazon.co.uk: Francis D. K. Ching: Books

DavidJae

Troubadour
Try changing the way you draw. Instead of using lines, try using colour instead. Block out the main shapes in one colour and then use other colours to build up detail. Be free with how you draw and let it happen.

Also, look for images of architecture that you like and use them for inspiration.

Remember, in writing and art, less is more.

If you like, I'd be happy to read some of your writings and offer some critique on them.