• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ways to write poetry.

What are your favorite ways to write poetry?

I like choosing something silly to write about.
Including rhymes, also meaning and passion.

The honeydew melon.
Honeydew melon is green.
And tastes very clean.
Like a fresh rainy tropical scene.
I think, the honeydew melon is zany.
The honeydew melon is soft and very easy to chew.

I like your poetry, particularly the Strawberry one, in part because I grow them, along with lots of other edible food.

Some of my favourite poems are about mythological creatures, such as The Jabberwocky, The Fairies by William Allington and Goblin Market by Rossetti, although Goblin Market is secretly about something else altogether…

I like your poetry, particularly the Strawberry one, in part because I grow them, along with lots of other edible food.

Some of my favourite poems are about mythological creatures, such as The Jabberwocky, The Fairies by William Allington and Goblin Market by Rossetti, although Goblin Market is secretly about something else altogether…
Thanks

pmmg

Myth Weaver
While I have written poetry in the past, I do not typically write it. If I was to write it, most often it would be for something less serious, and more humorous. Sometimes I would make up poems at riddles or cryptic puzzles when I used to be a game master, but that a lifetime ago. I would also write one if there was a challenge to do so, but I am not really interested in directing my craft in that direction.

It has a great place in art, but at present its not my focus.

The honeydew melon.

Honeydew melon is green.
*Here I choose the color of the Honeydew melon.
And tastes very clean.
*Here I choose the taste of the Honeydew melon.
*Further elaborate the taste of the Honeydew melon.
*Elaborated the properties of the Honeydew melon.
*This line simply means what the Honeydew melon is soft and easy to chew.

The honeydew melon.

Honeydew melon is green.
*Here I choose the color of the Honeydew melon.
And tastes very clean.
*Here I choose the taste of the Honeydew melon.
*Further elaborate the taste of the Honeydew melon.
*Elaborated the properties of the Honeydew melon.
*This line simply means what the Honeydew melon is soft and easy to chew.
As for rhyming
green~clean
clean~scene
rainy~zany

Choosing a word or topic with a few rhymes works well.
I like to choose words or topics that blend together with other topics so I may elaborate further as the poem goes on.
Philosophical undertones and themes work very well.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I went to an arts high school and am actually a trained poet. Can't rhyme my way out of a paper sack, but the practice did me in good stead for improving my prose. Poetry is just prose, distilled. Once a writer groks that, it opens up a whole world of possibilities and layers of meaning. I haven't written poetry since college, but it stays with you... kind of like an octopus on your face.

Insolent Lad

Maester
My poetry typically begins life as a a phrase or even a word that takes my fancy and builds from there. I rarely have an 'idea' or concept—that will come when I start putting more words together. Once I get going, I am likely to come up with plenty of other words or phrases, a list of what I might want to incorporate. They might or might not be rhyming words, but I almost always have an accentual rhythm. That probably comes from being a musician and song writer (songs being, of course, a form of poetry). I build a poem rather than sitting down and writing from start to finish.

This is not a whole lot different from the way I write prose.

My most successful novel (a psychological crime thriller) featured a poem that was read by the MC narrator when he breaks into his new lover's house to work out what made her tick - very creepy - but the poem (in a book on her bedside table) is the key to unlocking the deeper textures of the novel and out of several dozen reviews, only one person ever mentioned it. And she really liked it.

I've done any number of library or book club talks on the novel. I prefer the book clubs because the people (in theory) have read the novel so I can talk freely about what happens. Talking about the poem always gets the biggest reaction because most readers just scan across it without realising the significance. Once they perceive its importance I constantly hear people say: Jeez, I have to read the book again!

Which I love...

The poem was simple enough to write. I focussed on the key transcendent image of the book and wrote some atmospheric free verse lines detailing a powerful description of love... or was it something else?