• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Web Serial Questions

I am going to be posting my WIP as a web serial and I would like to get some feed back on a few points, your opinions as readers.

How long is too long? I am thinking 2500/3000 would be a good length. Not too long, not too short. 5000 being the absolute max, 1500 the minimum.

How often? Personally, when I find something I like, bi-weekly is what I prefer as a reader. But then, I am impatient and greedy.:p

Stand alone web page, or blog post? Initially, I will be posting on a blog, probably word press, then, if I have a good response, setting up a stand alone web page. Would a blog put you off reading it in the beginning? I have read some really bad ones in blogs, but personally it does not stop me from checking out new ones.

What kind of extras would be good? My WIP is a fantasy, starting on Earth, then moving to another planet in another galaxy. Would you want to see maps? Illustrations of the settings? The planet is earth like, almost a twin in fact.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Take a look at Mythic Scribes for a moment. There's a blog, and there's other pages, and then a forum.

Write a blog, but actually post your story on the other pages. Post a link in the blog to say "Hey, it's up! Here's an excerpt. Here's a link. Oh, here's a link to previous sections in case you missed them. Go read!" Do not post your story directly in a blog post. Use the blog to promote the story. I'm of a firm opinion on that one. It's all about credibility. Internet marketing is much harder than many people think it is, and these little things matter tremendously.

I would suggest updating the blog bi-weekly and your story monthly, but consistency will be more important than anything. I think that way you'll keep them hooked with your blog, give yourself a little more room for error, and the month between story updates will build suspense while giving you the chance to make sure it's ready.

Unless you're an artist, I wouldn't commit to any extras and just use them as an unannounced bonus now and then when you can manage them. Yes, though; maps, illustrations, explanations of the fantastic, bestiaries, character profiles, all of that would be a cool addition. But you need to manage expectations. Don't do it once and then stop. You need to escalate the awesomeness of your posts, so unless you can do that, start the extras small and use them sparingly.

Last edited:
Hey Dev, thanks for the reply. Good suggestions, things to think about. The one web serial I really like, Black Alice, is on a stand alone page. I might not have found it, if it was in a blog, because of filters on my work PC.