• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weirds

I recently read a thread about summoning familiars, and this sort of encouraged me to talk about something that's been inside my head for a while.

Weirds are creatures summoned by magic ritual.

Now, I was going to do this setting completely without magic, but then I settled for the "forgotten ways" kind of approach to it. So far, I've got a few Weirds from different rituals, so here goes:

Wailing Weird:
This Weird is summoned by singing a song that sounds kind of like the music that plays in 2001: A Space Odyssey (when the black monolith appears) around a circle of red sand. The Weird in question looks like a Will o' the Wisp, and it sings the same song as the people who summoned it. It is mostly harmless.

Walking Weird:
Is summoned by setting 5 severed rabbit feet in a circle (facing outwards) and sprinkling powdered chalk around it in a triangle. It looks like a Nightwalker from D&D 5e, and its hairs trail back to the circle from which it was summoned. The "walker" was not known for destruction, but can be hostile. If its hairs are severed, it dissapears.

What do you guys think? Have you got any other ritual ideas? If so, I would love to hear them.