Welcome to My (Flat) World

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick Staff Moderator

Once we have a party assembled, we're ready to explore Flat Earth, and each of you will share the starring role in our story.

The first encounter will be more of a tutorial to ease you into the game, but the system is meant to be casual-friendly. That said, it can't hurt to discuss a few basics up-front.

Creating a Character
    I have a how-to thread which includes links to each class.

Follow the steps, and I'll draw a character like one of these…
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    …and they'll hang out together on the in-game map.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Rolling
    When attacking an enemy or performing a feat, the first thing you should know is this:

ONE roll per turn

To roll, go to
    rolz.org and enter the Dice Room.

To get into the Dice Room, enter a nickname (your character's name) and room name (FE2014), then click "Join >".

[​IMG]

Click "roll!" (the orange box in the upper-right corner)

Roll ONCE!

The default roll is "1d20," and that's the only kind of roll that exists in my game.
    [​IMG]

The roll will generate an image. Click on the little white die next to your character's name (above screenshot) to view the image (below).

[​IMG]

Copy-paste the image into the thread along with your character's action, like this:

I punch orc in left nostril.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Battle
    When enemies appear on the map, it's your job to kill them.
    [​IMG]

Things to consider…

• You can move 6 squares per turn, and you need to get close if you're using a melee weapon or unarmed combat.
    • Ranged attacks can hit from any distance, but you need to shoot from where you stand.
    • Magic attacks can hit from any distance, but there's a chance magic will take multiple turns to cast.
    • …and if you look at the orc on the top-right, you'll see that there are more weapons than the one in your scabbard!

[​IMG]
    Pale Jackal
    Reaver
    Hanako

Another thing to consider is that the enemies hit back, so watch your health!

= full
    = 3/4
    = 1/2
    = 1/4
    = empty
    = temporarily empty (like a timer if you're in a choke hold or drowning)

Reaver likes this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

The d20
    In battle, competitions or feats, the number on the d20 determines success. When attacking, your d20 roll needs to beat your opponent's defense.

As an example, let's take Hanako's roll of 12 from two posts ago. She said she's punching an orc in the nose. As it turns out, the orc's defense is 10. 12 > 10, so Hanako hit.

Now for the damage:

1-9 = weak
    10-15 = normal
    16-19 = strong
    20 = strongest!

A 12 inflicts normal damage. A single light punch is not Hanako's most impressive attack, but the orc felt it. A bloody snot dangles from Hanako's knuckle.

Now it's the orc's turn. He's gonna hit back!
    [​IMG]

Okay… so I probably don't have to explain that the orc missed because his roll really sucked. But even if he rolled the same as Hanako, he still would have missed. Hanako is a "defensive unarmed" fighter, which makes her harder to hit than your average adventurer.

So here's where I explain all those underlined terms in the Class Acts thread…

Defensive = more likely to block or evade attacks

Offensive = more likely to hit your target

Powerful = extra strength and extra health

Melee = combat using a blade

Ranged = combat using a bow or gun

Unarmed = combat using your fists

Magic = combat using your mind

Ice, Fire, Earth, Wind and Water = your magic is tied to a specific element

I do have tables that assign numbers to hits, damage, strength, etc. but I prefer to keep numbers and stats invisible, except for player health.

One warning for magic users: there is no weak attack for magic.

Instead, when your magic is too weak (because you rolled <10), you can choose to let the power fizzle out, or charge the magic (roll again next turn). There's a chance that the magic will be more powerful. However, if your control over the magic weakens (if your roll is lower than the previous roll), the magic will basically explode around you harming you and possibly harming those around you.

HINT: if you roll a 1, your next roll can't possibly be worse, so it's risk-free to charge the magic in that case.

Likewise, if you roll a 9, rolling a 1 on your next turn will be very, very bad!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  5. Legendary Sidekick

The Flat Earth
    All you know coming into the game is that the world is flat, and the Eastern Islands are close to that raging waterfall at the end of the world.

Areas you'll explore first include the east coast of the main continent and one of the islands:
    • Mount Neverest - The Maiden's shrine is on the peak. Many women train there.
    • Asahi Beach - The people who live in this beach community like to tour the Eastern Islands. They find the natives of Roku-Roku Island especially amusing.
    • Roku-Roku Island - The island is a tourist trap now, but twelve years ago it was a very dangerous place for maidens deemed worthy of sacrifice to the Lava Demon.
    • The Black and Blue Oyster - This is the cruise ship that has everything! Entertainment includes bare-knuckle brawlers, a magic show, games of chance, and ladies who are beautiful enough to sacrifice to a demon but aren't exactly maidens.
    • The Floater - If you can't afford the Oyster and you don't want to be part of the entertainment, this cargo ship may be the way to travel.

6. Legendary Sidekick

December 2013 To Do List

The Flat Earth forum is now LIVE! So… if you had a chance to check it out, you're probably wondering what to do in order to get in the game. Well, I'll tell you…

1) Create a character.

2) Choose a ship.

• The Black and Blue Oyster - This is the cruise ship that has everything! Entertainment includes bare-knuckle brawlers, a magic show, games of chance, and ladies who are beautiful enough to sacrifice to a demon but aren't exactly maidens. The Oyster is traveling from Roku-Roku Island to Asahi Beach.
    • The Floater - If you can't afford a cruise and you don't want to be part of the entertainment, this cargo ship may be the way to travel. The Floater is traveling from the base of Mount Neverest to Roku-Roku Island.

3) PM me your character info and which ship you're on.

4) Give me a week or two to draw your character in several poses.

5) Start RP'ing when you see the "Side One" thread.

Sparkie, Ireth and Reaver like this.
  7. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Character profile PM'd! :D

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  8. Legendary Sidekick

My thing to do is DRAW! I'm enjoying the characters so far!

9. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

What's the male to female ratio of characters so far? ^^

10. Legendary Sidekick

3:1, a.k.a. Everybody:Ireth

11. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Nice. XDDD

12. SeverinR

SeverinR Valar Lord

Samurai chef submitted.
    "Most honored to meet one and all. I am Shan Mei."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  13. Legendary Sidekick

You guys are getting creative with weapon choices. This should be fun to draw! (I hope it will be, since I've got a lot to draw!) I apologize in advance for the lopsided characters changing from lefty to righty when they turn.

Anyone play Street Fighter II? Vega's claw? Sagat's eye-patch? Which eye was missing? The answer depends on which way he's facing.

Also, about the ship - everyone's one the Oyster so far. I'll try to get my NPC to durect everyone to one place. The game was meant to begin in January, so bear in mind you're just RP'ing until artwork is up. After that... anything can happen.

PS- Severin's guy is rich:
    [​IMG]
    ...but he still can't afford the cruise, so he's got a job.

Reaver likes this.
  14. SeverinR

SeverinR Valar Lord

80 jacks, nope not enough ($800)

But the money supports that he is a good cook.

15. Legendary Sidekick

Why pay when you can get free passage and still eat just as well.

And PJ can bet on the fight.

16. Legendary Sidekick

Took me a while to get the character size right, thanks to my goofy big-head-small-body style, but I am glad I didn't make bases. It's easier to draw from scratch than use a base, since the base lacks personality.

Here are freshly-drawn, freshly-scanned, un-colored images of Cookie and Diana.
    [​IMG]

Reaver, Sparkie and Ireth like this.
  17. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

That's awesome! :D I love Diana, she's adorable. ^^

18. Legendary Sidekick

Family later. My priority is PCs, and I have to draw Severin's… several times.

Vincent will be drawn before game-start. I might be an optimist and not bother coloring the "dead" positions.

"Fallen." Did I say dead? No, I didn't say dead.

A rolling pin can't balance on the belly of a dead man.

Reaver likes this.
  19. Sparkie

Sparkie Dark Lord

YEA! That's Cookie!

20. SeverinR

SeverinR Valar Lord

Just color the dead...I mean fallen ones blue gray.