1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to My (Flat) World

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I actually do mean telepathy. It's the advanced version of mind-reading, which would allow Vincent to control his projection of thoughts, allowing for two-way communication.

Telekinesis is lumped into the Psionics category. (Maybe that should just say "telekinesis," but I wanted it to include darker stuff like the Darth Vader choke.)

Ireth likes this.
  2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Oh, okay! That's neat!

3. Legendary Sidekick

I already know one edit I'll make before the final version: the amazon's advanced skill. I think I'll call it "Woad Warrior." Everyone else has something awesome like wings or that not-really-explained demigoddess form, or a fun fighting style. Battle Cry/Rage sounds so… low level.

I don't see Fenella as a woad warrior (or a loud or angry one either), but there's no law saying you must use both of your class skills. I think Ruby expressed an interest in magic, so her character could end up as a mage who endows her huge sword with magic.

4. Legendary Sidekick

I didn't say much in my notes, but the "can do this in your sleep" is a reminder (mostly to myself) that the mentalist could communicate while unconscious. For example, Vincent goes off on his own and is KO'd, he can use his telepathy like a homing beacon. That might only work on Diana, but anyone near him could hear the thoughts, except of course enemies or those he does not want to communicate with.

Vincent could also, as a telepath, communicate with someone who is comatose. If he meets someone who is alive, yet unable to communicate with him, Vincent will find that very odd because that would mean he's around a living person who isn't thinking at all. A mentalist would find that impossible.

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Unless (s)he is a god(dess), right? Vincent can't access Bee's thoughts unless she wants him to, as I recall.

6. Legendary Sidekick

True, Vincent has had more experience than other mentalists, so that concept isn't so strange to him. As a telepath, he still won't be able to force Bee's thoughts from her, but he will know if someone's not allowing him to.

Ireth likes this.
  7. Legendary Sidekick

I see Ariel is not one to be trifled with when her mentor gets knocked off-screen!

FLAT EARTH-RELATED NEWS: PM'd Ruby and Aspasia to let them know they can roll twice to catch up.
    I'm hoping to wrap up this play-test and get back to the main game (with Ariel joining the party).

NEWS THAT IS SOMEWHAT RELATED TO FLAT EARTH: Curly hair is fun to draw! You just have to scribble.
    [​IMG]
    Granted, I'm not nearly as good as a MAD Magazine artist.

Links that demonstrate my inferiority:
    Work-Safe Frame from Body Snatchers Parody / Funny Frames …in a Chauvinistically Piggish Sort of Way

Ireth likes this.
  8. Legendary Sidekick

Here are four sketches I made today:
    [​IMG]
    Addison Lane - "Awesome Warrior"
    Kojima Hanako - "Small Island Flower Child"
    Nissa van Donk - "A Friendly Elf from a High Place"
    Baldhart Eisenberg - "Bold, Strong Iron Mountain"

Ireth likes this.
  9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

So I was itching to read up on the in-game history of Flat Earth, since I recall there being a write-up/explanation of some kind for it somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. :/ Was it in a thread that got deleted? I ask because I want to use this version of Ariel in a crossover RP on another forum, and I need to explain where she came from and what her world of origin is like.

10. Legendary Sidekick

Honestly, I think we PM'd a lot of that, though some facts about the world may have come up in-game. I'll double check deleted threads just in case, but most of what's deleted is stuff like the original play-test (that only Reaver and Phil the Drill played), Fate stuff, etc.

Ireth likes this.
  11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Okay. Is there a more comprehensive list of locations anywhere, or am I free to make up a name for the town/city/region Ariel and family came from? Also, what would you classify the world's primary tech level as?

12. Legendary Sidekick

PLACES:
    You can make them up, really. I left it a blank slate so Fenella can come from the Zanderlands and such. The ones that came up in-game so far are…

Roku-Roku Island (ep.0)
    Asahi Beach (ep.2)
    Mount Neverest (ep.3)

TECH LEVEL:
    This side of the world is typically medieval.
    The Other Side is more of a post-apocalyptic future kind of world.

OTHER INFO:
    Flat Earth is pretty much Australia blown off the regular round Earth in the year 20X6. The chunk of planet is floating through space with two moons orbiting it—one of which is a ball of fire, and is called the sun. (But technically, it is a moon since it orbits the planet.) On one side, which was once the underside of the Earth's crust, humans live. On the other, demonic creatures hang out in old human buildings. How life and water and not-knocked-over buildings can be on Flat Earth is unknown.

Likely, the life and water has to do with some angels sent to watch over the Flat Earth. These angels and their first-generation offspring came to be known as the thirteen gods and goddesses of this drifting chunk of planet. The not-knocked-over buildings has to do with my inability to go online and get photos of knocked-over buildings in Australia.

Ireth likes this.
  13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Hmm. It doesn't come off as quite totally medieval to me, more of an anachronism stew (which is why I decided to ask). I mean, you have things like steakhouses and pianos and cruise ships alongside Age of Sail type pirate ships with cannons and such.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  14. Legendary Sidekick

True, it's not really medieval at all. More of a vague miss-mash of second millennium technology.

Ireth likes this.
  15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

So I found the post where Bee describes the history of Flat Earth (it's close to the end of Episode 1). I just want to make sure I got all the details right...

- When Earth was destroyed and Australia became Flat Earth, seven angels went to reshape and govern it. These are The Mother and The Father, The Warrior and Lady Death, The Woodsman and The Gardener, and The Scribe.
    - The Mother and The Father had four children: The Spirit, The Maiden, The Voice, and Jack.
    - The Chef is the son of The Warrior and Lady Death; he married The Spirit. Their children are Sugarplum Fairies.*
    - The Painter is the daughter of The Woodsman and The Gardener; she married Jack. Their children are Leprechauns, and The Painter's sisters are Fairies.
    - The Scribe married The Voice; their children are Muses

* Not sure if the Fairies and Sugarplum Fairies are still distinct beings, or two subgroups of Fairy.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

Fairies are earthy-crunchy. Sugarplums are playful and fascinated with fire.

The earth isn't destroyed… just missing a continent. Probably some newly exposed land, sunken cities, and a collision with the moon. But those who survived all that are doing just fine now. The sun won't burn out until 1000 years after it swallows the earth, but that won't happen in the foreseeable future. It happens in the late-unforseeable future.

Ireth likes this.
  17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That awkward moment when a GOT song about the gods inspires you to write your own song about the gods of Flat Earth, only to find that four of the gods are basically the same, and GRRM described most of them pretty well already. :/ Also when you can't get the GOT tune or lyrics out of your head, but you really want to put some variance between it and yours. Bleh.

On the other hand, this is a really pretty song:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  18. Legendary Sidekick

Maiden's Day was ripped off from a GRRM book. Er… I mean, I paid him a homage.

When it was just Reaver, Phil and I, I had considered using the seven from GRRM's stories. Then I ended up just using some of the generic names. (Mother, Father, Warrior, Maiden) The Scribe is a male Crone. Lady Death is a female Stranger. My Father and Warrior pretty much cover The Smith, and maybe the Woodsman to some extent.

Ireth likes this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I actually thought more of Jack when I heard the Smith's verse, considering the Maiden described him as a Jack-of-all-trades.

20. Legendary Sidekick

Oh yeah. I guess I actually forgot what The Smith was like.