1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to My (Flat) World

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

When I read your post, my immediate thought is that you find a damn good herb.

Since you got a 20 on your first post-battle roll, I'll give you the same deal if you want it. That is, you can name/make-up a believably tropical herb that grows in a seaside cavern, and Ariel can even know what effect it has. Or you can make her unfamiliar with it, if you'd rather, since Diana would have trained Ariel on the mainland. Up to you.

Normally, herbs expire at the end of an episode, but let's reward the 20—whether you make up the herb/effect or not. Of the six trainers (Rose, Lily, Susan, Ivy, Violet, Heather), Susan is an herbalist. She can make herbal tea from any herb on the Island, and she'll give some to Ariel. They'll be good during episode 3.

Ireth likes this.
  2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

It's possible Lily could have pointed out some jungle herbs to Ariel during the month or so they've been here. Ariel might not know exactly what the herb does, but she'd know its name and that it's good for healing. Now I just need to think of a name...

EDIT: How about Vera's Honeybalm? I was thinking it'd be pretty much like our Aloe Vera in looks and effect. Not sure whether to make a new post with Ariel finding/using it, or let you handle it as the GM.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. Legendary Sidekick

This is of little importance, but here are the professions of the Huntress trainers:

Lily: COOK - make tasty food
    Susan: HERBALIST - find nutritious plants
    Ivy: TAYLOR - make stylish clothing
    Heather: ARTIST - make the world beautiful
    Violet: MEDIC - slap on a Band-Aid
    Rose: RULER - flaunt your status

Rose, as well as the rest of them to an extent: ENTREPRENEUR - make big bucks so you can have nice things… which is what these ladies do during Tourist Season.

Ireth likes this.
  4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Dunno if you noticed the edit to my post above. Should I post again in-game with Ariel finding the herb, or do you want to?

5. Legendary Sidekick

I just read your post with the honeybalm edit. Feel free to mention the herb next time you post. I don't mind you double-posting if you've got something you want to post now. I'm going to hold off for a day to see if others post, then throw in a final "round clear" map image up. If I don't see anything going on with the herb by the time I post, I'll have Lily check on Ariel. At that point you're free to use the herb for healing and there'll still be enough to take with you.

Ireth likes this.
  6. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

It's like I've got my own little writing prompt. This'll be fun. But I won't get the chance until the afternoon.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  7. Legendary Sidekick

Hi, Ruby. There's nothing left to do in the battle. Your opponent just tumbled over backwards off the mountain, so that's just a map confirming there are no threats remaining. It's just straight RP for now. I'll hold off at least until Devor posts his reaction, then we can wrap up this episode as soon as we get into how all these characters (not Lily, I mean just player characters) can move on to episode 3.

8. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Hi Legendary Sidekick, that's good to know. I suppose Fenella can just enjoy the view from the mountain top.:D

9. Legendary Sidekick

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Roll20. It's a virtual tabletop site where GMs can create maps, throw on some heroes and villains and such, and run a game.

I decided to show the Roll20 Team Flat Earth and some of my more recent sketches. Aside from asking me to keep the costumes modest, they like the art, so I'm going to put together a package of art for Roll20.

How does this affect Flat Earth? Well... maybe it'll slow down my map-making a bit because I'm going to make actual maps (as opposed to slapping characters onto a photo). But since the Roll20 maps don't need to follow any particular story or game, my thought is to make a snowy area so I can use my Roll20 art for Flat Earth's next episode, "Colder Than a Witch's Ice Spell." If I have the means to upload my art to the site and put maps together, then I'll have screenshots of my Roll20 maps being used for an actual game!

So, apologies in advance if we start RP'ing episode 3 then the game is suddenly paused while I'm putting a map together.

Ireth and Devor like this.
  10. Devor

That's kind of awesome Ledge!

I'll post that Furtano kill thing today, I promise. My wife and some of the kids have been just about KO'ed the last few days with the flu, but they're doing better and today things should be back to normal.

(. . . . is it okay if I call you Ledge?)

11. Legendary Sidekick

I was planning my Roll20 art, which will actually be named after Flat Earth because… well, it's easier than thinking of another name. The characters are 280 pixels tall. Technically, 280 pixels = 10 feet on a Roll20 map, so I almost made Baldy 200 pixels tall (~7 feet on the Roll20 map, which is her height counting the hair). Then I thought, screw it, I'm making the squares on my map 3'6" so my characters are as high res as possible.

My recent sketch of Baldy was 12 grids tall, but if I make each grid on graph paper 6", it's easier to keep track of how tall things are supposed to be. Downside: my orcs won't be 9 feet tall. Upside: my orcs will probably be nearly 7 feet wide, so they'll still look huge.

[​IMG]

^This is closer to what Baldhart's barbarian outfit will look like. It's the most revealing outfit she'll have. I hope it's not considered TOO revealing. I'm trying to balance the barbarian stereotype without showing enough skin to come off as gratuitous. Other outfits will make her look more like a monk, or a paladin, or a better-armored barbarian with a cloak… and I have to have a princess outfit. Maybe few RPGs have use for it, but I think adventurers should have nice clothes for the post-dragon-slaying party in their honor.

Ruby and Ireth like this.
  12. Legendary Sidekick

About my Roll20 art…

I'm thinking it's more fun to do exactly as I do in Flat Earth—which is to have a few different poses for the characters.

I was originally going to have separate weapon tokens, and even additional armor tokens, that could be placed over a base outfit. But the problem with that is arming characters would be lead to some frustration if only certain weapons align with certain body types. So I think I'd rather offer a few versions of each character/class, and the different versions could have different weapons or other special features/stances.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I have a question for all Flat Earth players:

Does anyone mind if I include her character in this set?

And Devor, you can answer this too. I say "her" because I'm creating the "Heroine" set first, but there will be a "Hero" set for male characters.

Huntress
    Shield Maiden (with no wings, developing wings, and large wings)
    Fighting Nun (both unarmed and with samurai weapons)
    Druid (with a Disney-princess-like following of birds and rodents!)
    Sorceress

TALL GIRLS:
    Barbarian
    Holy Knight (very Brienne-like)
    Princess

SHORT GIRLS:
    Muse
    Fairy
    Sugarplum Fairy (like a pice from Candy Land)
    The Littlest Valkyrie

(All of the short girls have demigoddess/archangel forms)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Ireth likes this.
  13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Sounds good to me!

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  14. Legendary Sidekick

That makes it easier to have art updated for this game.

Most likely, GMs will just use one version of any character I provide. What I'm likely to is have 20 characters, but many will have the same body type, so I can pretty much create a few bases and some poses for each base. The types of characters I need are:

- STRONG (tallest)
    - RANGED
    - AGGRESSIVE
    - DEFENSIVE
    - MAGIC
    - PIXIE (tiniest)

I'll have, for the most part, distinct classes for each character. But what I'll make are 20 characters. Five will be pixies who each have an alternate human-sized form. That way, the package passes for having 25 characters. The minimum requirement is 25 tokens. I think if I were to make 5 characters with 5 poses each, I'd be perceived as ripping people off since I'm sure the Roll20 Team expects 25 tokens that can represent 25 entirely different characters.

I want to offer more than what other creators offer, but without being perceived as offering less. So multiple poses is how I give the minimum plus.

(I have a single sketch for Baldhart's armed, unarmed, and sitting poses. If anything else, heavy-lifting and KO'd. If you look at the sketch of Baldhart at the top of this page, you can see how she'd pass for unarmed by simply not having the sword. I'd only need to redraw her hands for the positioning of her fists to make sense. Ditch the left arm and move the legs, now she's seated cross-legged and ready to arm-wrestle, sip tea or ride a horse--though admittedly in a comically casual posture.

A horse/beast/centaur/kentauride pack may be created later, but Heroines first. Then I might draw Monsters, Villains and Maps before I even get to the male Heroes. If I think it's worth going on, I'll have a Sidekick pack for children, inept town militia, shopkeepers, waitresses, etc.)

Ireth likes this.
  15. Devor

If it means a cooler version of Furtano than absolutely. But . . . . would there also be issues between you and Roll20 with having your art posted in a public forum that might mean we couldn't use it here?

Or rather, I was hoping to write his background and put it up in the Portfolio as a writing sample, and I thought it'd be cool to put the avatar we're using for him in with the text.

16. Legendary Sidekick

There shouldn't be an issue. The way there could be an issue is if there is a means to access my tokens with a clear background... and that would be me screwing myself!

Because the displays for this game or low-res and with background, I'm not worried about someone going onto DeviantArt and stealing my stuff. I mean, if they're willing to go through the trouble of doing that, there are plenty of much better artists on DA.

The real question is whether enough people buy it that it's worth selling. But if I'm using the art for this game, then there's no harm in submitting it and chancing I'll get paid for doing what I was gonna do anyway.

Ireth and Devor like this.
  17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

*pokes play-test thread* Looking forward to seeing the outcome of Mariya's choice, whatever it is. :D

18. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

SORRY! I got way busy and totally neglected this :( My bad. I'll try to keep up better.

Ireth likes this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

It's okay, Noma. Life happens. :)

Noma Galway likes this.
  20. Devor

This is my hypocritical judgy face: :mad2:

You can't see me, but I'm totally not wearing it right now.

Noma Galway likes this.