1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to My (Flat) World

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

@Noma,

No pressure. You get enough pressure from college. This is leisure.

Ireth and Noma Galway like this.
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Now that Mariya's "choice" has been made, I'll fess up: she would have had to wait another level if the conch was still in one piece. Fenella had a 25% chance of breaking the conch by accident, and normal strength characters had a 10% chance. (Since Ireth rolled for Ariel, only an 18 or 19 would have broken the conch.)

Going forward, when brute force has potential to break something, a 20 will allow the player to choose whether or not to break the object. I didn't bother mentioning that this time, since I don't think anyone would have purposely broken an artifact knowing it's tied to a goddess who is also Mariya's mother.

Anyway, good roll, Ariel! In game, she may not know it, but breaking the conch was better than not breaking it. (And it was also a far less likely outcome, no matter who made the attempt.)

Ireth likes this.
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

*pokes Rolz* Come onnnn. Third time's the charm, I hope?

4. Legendary Sidekick

The creatures are all in predator-prey pairs. Lily found the prey, but Ariel found its predator!

You can write the hunt as you please, getting to the point that you can take a shot. At this first opportunity to shoot, the hyena has not yet caught up to its prey (as far as you can tell).

IMPORTANT: your roll tells Ariel how clear the shot is. You can have her take the shot, or hold her fire.

16+... You might kill or at least wound deeply.
    <10... You might graze or alert the target.
    10-16... You'll wound it, and maybe Lily's spear will finish it.
    20 = instant kill.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart - Armed and Watermarked!

Here's what I did with the above sketch–I made a character that can be equipped with any two-hander!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Normal-sized characters will have one-handers and shields, as well as an "archery" pose that comes with a weapon.

Devor and Ireth like this.
  6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Looks awesome, LS! Intrigued to see the rest of them!

7. Legendary Sidekick

I think I'd like to keep things simple.

I was talking to Ireth about how a huntress should be different from another ranged class, such as a pirate. I think if we focus on what makes each class (or character) unique, we have a decent enough system.

How about instead of "leveling up," we simply end a level with a quest reward? It may be a skill or may be an item.

And that is meant as a question. If you'd rather have a skill list, that can be done.

To clarify a bit: the quest reward system would mean I might pull skills from that list, or I might give you something else. Also, Vincent could still express an interest in learning Ice Magic–meaning that, because it's clear to me what the character wants, that would be his next quest reward.

In other words, all those skills I came up with–or the ability to learn skills of other classes–that's still available in a quest-reward system. The difference is that, you're not sifting through a list and deciding what you want. There's more GM control, but I do try to get you skills/items that fit your character.

Right now we have herbs for Ariel, a demigoddess form for Mariya (semi-goddess?–she's somewhat goddess like, but in fact both her parents are gods), a Whet-Diamond for Ariel, and Furtano doesn't know what his reward is… yet.

Go ahead and post response. Unless you leave me something for an NPC to respond to, I'll wrap up the play-test and open a thread for episode 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Fixed it. ^^ I like the idea of quest rewards. Ariel also gets new clothes on top of her herbal stuff, right? Though I'm not sure that counts as an item.

9. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I had thought I found my reward spinning on the tip of my sword, but somebody broke that . . . .

My laptop isn't charging this morning. If I can get it working I'll make a post. Otherwise it'll be the evening.

10. Legendary Sidekick

Yes, Ariel also gets the new clothing. Ivy's working on it. But it's just an outfit. It doesn't do anything special.

(…as far as you know.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Well, it'll keep her warm on the mountain, which is always a plus!

Ooh, ooh, just had an idea... what if Ivy made gloves out of the hyena's paws, with the claws still in there so Ariel can use them to fight enemies bare-handed? Be a nice precaution if she were to get into a position where she can't use her bow or dagger.

12. Legendary Sidekick

You can have Ariel suggest that to Ivy.

Ireth likes this.
  13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Will edit the post I just made, then. ^^

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Edited my post. Hope my idea makes sense. ^^; I could try to actually draw it out if you want, but I doubt it'll be much clearer than having her describe it.

15. Legendary Sidekick

In fact, I was out picking up my oldest from cooking class. She has gloves that flip like that, so I was thinking that's what Ariel would get. That way, she can free her fingers to use her bow.

Ireth likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

I'll wrap up the play-test episode (probably) at the end of the week.

I'm trying to get this Roll20 stuff moving today. As much as I love the way side view looks, top down would…

EDIT - Screw top-down! It makes my characters look so generic, I didn't even want to finish the first costume! I guess I'll need to make maps for Roll20 also, so people have a place to put the side-view characters!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Ireth likes this.
  17. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Hi Legendary Sidekick,

What exactly is Roll20?:confused:

18. Legendary Sidekick

It's an RPG website that allows people to play together online. You can roll, see the map, communicate (chat/Skype)… and I can sell artwork.

Like this: (fast-forward to where you can see a map)

EDIT - Too busy a post. I'll show an art update later.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  19. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

You could always try an aerial view. Side view changes the game a lot on the DM side.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.