1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to My (Flat) World

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

That might work well. I was just testing with somebody else's tokens, and I noticed the semi-ariel view looks good as a "dead" position when the art is rotated.

[​IMG]

Ruby and Ireth like this.
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Side view also limits the amount of maps my tokens look good on.

Most artists are doing a view similar to those green guys shown above. I personally think arial side looks better than arial front, since you can have opponents face each other. (You can right click to horizontally flip the token.)

3. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Hi Legendary Sidekick,

I like the aerial view. That dragon looks dangerous. :eek:

4. Legendary Sidekick

The dragon isn't mine… just something I threw on the map. But I only drew the barbarian woman so far. Still trying to get a direction that fits.

@Devor, how's the version of Baldhart in the blue dress?

[​IMG]
    My wife says the legs are too thick, but that aside, I think this works out okay as close to arieal-side. It's really the positioning of her feet that makes it semi-top view; I don't want to lose the facial detail.

Most artists are doing top-view or arial-front. You can't make tokens face the enemy if everyone's facing front! (And I don't like how my top views come out at all.)

5. Legendary Sidekick

Here's Baldy slimmed down. My wife was right I had to fix that leg!

[​IMG]

Noma Galway and Ireth like this.
  6. Legendary Sidekick

My brother, who illustrates his own comic, loved my artwork. He even showed me his botched attempt at a dress with a side-slit after telling me he really liked the costume.

[​IMG]

So to celebrate the success of her new dress, Baldhart killed about twenty trolls and a drow caster. (Most of the bodies ended up in the river.) She escaped on horseback.

And that's a pleasant surprise, too. The unarmed stance works well for fighting, being dead/KO'd, and mounting a horse—plus I can easily add a weapon to the image, though I will simply give each character her own weapon(s). It's a pain in the butt to have to assemble tokens. No sense doing extra work that will make my product less desirable.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Ireth and Noma Galway like this.
  7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Wasn't Fenella standing right close by with the others when Mariya grew up? She should know about this by now, shouldn't she?

Noma Galway likes this.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Hi Ireth,

Um, what should Fenella know about by now? :confused:

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Here's a rundown of post-battle stuff that Fenella was present for:

a) The horse skull that the giant orc used as pants contained a conch shell through which The Voice spoke to Mariya.
    b) Ariel tried to pull the shell out and broke it, which turned out to be a good thing.
    c) The Voice offered Mariya the option of gaining a human-sized form, which Mariya accepted. She grew up in full view of the others, including Fenella, and wore a dress of enchanted water.
    d) The Voice spoke through Mariya, saying that Ariel was to join her parents on Mount Neverest around sunset, and that she should finish up any immediate concerns before then.
    e) Ariel and Lily went hunting and came back with a dead hyena, which Ivy made into a new outfit for Ariel.

10. Legendary Sidekick

Also, Rose gave Fenella a diamond whetstone ("Whet-Diamond") that she can use to sharpen her gold sword.

11. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Thanks, Ireth and Legendary Sidekick.

Fenella seems to have missed most of this plot. Unfortunately, Amazon princesses have difficulty concentrating on the important things in life!

Now she's wondering whether this means that she will not be carrying Mariya around on her shoulder in future? :confused:

12. Legendary Sidekick

Hey, all… sorry for what is already becoming a long break. I'm playing with different styles for Roll 20 art. And yeah, we could actually start Ep.3 without that, but I'm hoping to find a way to make both Roll 20 art and Flat Earth art work together. In the long run, that would make the game ready to go with full art.

I'm hoping to get a rhythm going, so once I settle on the look of a few characters, other characters can be drawn quickly.

Ireth and Noma Galway like this.
  13. Legendary Sidekick

I'm still trying to work on my technique a bit. Here's Addison two months ago, in green, and last night, in reddish brown.

[​IMG][​IMG]

She'll have an outfit that functions more like armor, less like beachwear, and her grappler gun won't look as lame as that outline. Last night, I was trying to find a quick and simple way to draw Addison with semi-realistic proportions. If I draw her at 280p, the outline looks like pencil lines.

For inspiration/intimidation, I have amazons drawn by a much better artist on my desktop.

14. Legendary Sidekick

I played around with the hair today. If you look at the link to the better artist (above post), you'll notice how he drew hair by having the lines flow from somewhere. I was just making swirls in my first attempt at Addy's hair, while this time around, I started with above the forehead and kept following her wild curls. It's a tricky hairstyle to draw, but I'm getting there.

(Still not happy with the gun, which is why it's not shown.)

[​IMG]

Reaver and Ireth like this.
  15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Looks awesome, LS!

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  16. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Hi Legendary Sidekick!

I wondered what had happened to Flat Earth.

Addison has certainly matured a lot in two months! :eek:

She looks taller, older and more warrior-like.

What is Roll 20, exactly? :confused:

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  17. Legendary Sidekick

Hi, Ruby.

Yeah, sorry about the delay in Flat Earth. I'm mostly busy with some day job stuff--I need to take some courses or my teaching license will expire. Luckily, the district I'm working in pays for the program. Not so lucky: it'll eat a lot of time.

Roll 20 is an RPG site with a "virtual tabletop." Artist can sell characters and maps. The characters need to fit in a 280x280-pixel square, so I thought I'd try drawing at that low resolution (as opposed to drawing at 1120x1120 then reducing to 25%). I'm happy with the result, though I still need to figure a way to make the characters look good against backgrounds. Maybe a glow instead of a shadow, since she looks best on a white background...?

A day later, I am definitely happy with the hair! That is the best hair I've drawn in my entire life!

18. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Legendary One, you know that I think your art is amazing.

My avatar is proof of that. Hope I can rejoin Flat Earth some day.

Ruby, Ireth and Legendary Sidekick like this.
  19. Legendary Sidekick

Addy's got a gun...
    [​IMG]
    A grappler gun...
    [​IMG]
    This^ grappler gun (sort of).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Noma Galway, Reaver and Devor like this.
  20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That's a nifty looking weapon. Also, 1000th post in this thread! :D