Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Staff Moderator

Black Dragon was nice enough to set this up for us as a place to play. Over the next few days I'll be posting background information, rules relating to character generation, and everything else we need to get started after the first of the year. I'm looking forward to what should be an interesting game.

Sparkie likes this.
  2. Sparkie

Sparkie Dark Lord

Me too! Thanks Steerpike! Thanks Black Dragon!

3. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

If we'd like to create a character, do we just do it in the thread? I have some ideas!

4. Steerpike

I'm just going to have people create their characters and then PM the details to me. That way not everyone is aware of all of the details of every other character and knows only what the other player chooses to share in-game. I'll get the other class descriptions up as soon as I can.

5. Sparkie

Sparkie Dark Lord

Awesome. I'll be fleshing out a few different character ideas in the meantime. Just gotta narrow it down to one...

6. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Could I join even if I'm only marginally familiar with D&D-type roleplay? I loved the Second Hand RP we had going for a while.

7. Steerpike

Certainly, Ireth. Once I have all the details up I can help with character creation. I intend to start with a good number of people, because there is always some attrition :)

Ireth likes this.
  8. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Glad you liked Second Hand, Ireth!

I'll make my character in the next couple of days and send it along, Steerpike.

9. Steerpike

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you are interested.

I put a few more classes up. One thing I want to point out while you look over the classes - the classes have listed Abilities that are specific to those classes. These are not meant to be read as exhaustive options for the characters. There is a mechanism in place in the game system (which I will explain in a later post) that is tied to your Prime Attributes and allows for the character's to do all kinds of interesting things. The special abilities listed above are those abilities that are specific to a given class and generally not accessible to others. But you'll have a lot more you can do in game. This is something to keep in mind when looking at the Fighter class, for example, which doesn't have much in the way of special abilities, but can still be formidable in game and has a fast progression.

10. Ankari

Ankari Staff Moderator

Hey Steer,

While looking at the classes, I got that warm nostalgic feeling of reading AD&D 2nd Edition rule books. I can't wait to play!

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Dark Lord

Ah, I wondered what the Prime Attributes thing was about...

12. Steerpike

Yes, I'll have details on that. It allows for open-ended possibilities in terms of what a character can do, and if what you are attempting aligns with one of your Prime abilities, then you have a much greater chance of success.

For example, if you are familiar with D&D 3.X, you may know the feat Cleave. With that feat, if a character gets a killing blow against one enemy, he gets an extra attack against another enemy within range. Only characters with the feat can do it.

Under this system, any character who gets a killing blow might say they want to attempt something similar to that Cleave feat. The action is going to be either STR or DEX related, so a character that has one of those as a Prime attribute will have a better chance of pulling it off than one who does not. You might try to throw a rock through a small, distant opening. That's a DEX check, and if you have DEX Prime you'll have a much better shot at making the throw than if you do not. A character might want to sense the motive of an NPC, which would be a WIS check. Characters with WIS as a Prime ability have a greater chance of success. The thing about this system, is that it really opens things up to trying anything you can think of. It is up to the GM to set the difficulty level you have to meet. I prefer it to 3.X, which has skills and feats, because players tend to look at their skills and feats on their character sheet and limit themselves to what is on the sheet. They tend not to feel that it is OK to do something that isn't on the sheet somewhere. With this system, there are no skills and no feats. The classes have a few special abilities, as I've been detailing, but beyond that things are wide open. If you want to try something, try it. Not having skills and feats also makes character creation much faster, lessens the feeling among players that they've screwed something up by picking the wrong feat, lessens min-maxing, bookkeeping, and so on.

The game system we're using is Castles & Crusades, by Troll Lord Games. Great group of game designers there, and they've even has some of the 1e AD&D people working on some of their material.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Sparkie likes this.
  13. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick Staff Moderator

So as a barbarian, you'd have CON as a primary attribute. But as a human, you could choose to have STR as another primary attribute?

I don't know much about D&D, so in addition to the PM I sent, here are some questions that are more general.

1. Leveling up - how does that affect your stats? Do your primary attributes level up? Do you pick a stat (or two) to level up? Do they just... all increase?

2. Is XP based on quest completion? Do we automatically share XP evenly with party members?

3. Is this site helpful? LINK!

14. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick Staff Moderator

Brachos the Barbarian has been submitted to Steerpike for approval.

EDIT - I like the barbarian being a tank build, but will consider a female bard as a possible alternative. I'll make my final (actual) character submission once I (a) know what the class is like and (b) how stats/leveling works.

If I stick with the barb, I'll use a name that came up on a random generator because it's funny.

The name is Goros Baldknuckle II, but I will call him:

Goros Baldknuckle Jr.

I felt like a cheeseball for using a generator name, but... now that I've had time to sleep on it, I prefer that name over mine.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. Ankari

Ankari Staff Moderator

Steer,

Are we waiting for an item list to determine what arms and armor we have? Do you just want the character sheet or a back story as well?

I've completed the stats, class, and race assignment. My character's name is my handle. I used to be an avid MMORPG player and have always gone by Ankari Fyremist the Ranger

16. Steerpike

I'm stuck at an airport due to weather, so I'm behind. There will be more class information, lists of equipment, spells and rules for casters, and general game rules in the coming days.

17. Sparkie

Sparkie Dark Lord

NP. And while you're stuck, we'll be hoping for your safe passage.

18. Phietadix

Phietadix Shadow Lord

Not very many classes. There isn't any paladins or clerics or Wizards. Why not?

19. Steerpike

Read the thread you are commenting in.

And please don't post in the sticky thread. I want to keep the posts there continuous so people don't have to search through a long thread of posts to find information.

20. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Oops, I posted there in reply to Phietadix before noticing this. ^^; Shall I delete it?