1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Thanks! That's not entirely accurate for sometimes I draw smiling people too, though they get a Mona Lisa smile or what looks like a murderous smile.

Hm, yes, you could say it's a recurring theme. My stories aren't the happiest; they aren't completely grim either, I just tend to enjoy the said "villains" and gray areas.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I guess we're waiting for scouts to return, so I won't have Baldy rush in. I'm also waiting for steaks to cook—7:05. Better get out there!

3. Cant Wait for the bloody scouts to return. been waiting for a day now :D

4. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Ankari had better return with a gnoll spilling all their strategies and dirty secrets! xD

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Tell me about it, Hey Nihal i saw your drawings their pretty good,actually thats an understatement, They are brilliant. Are you any good at drawing maps?

6. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Thank you! In truth I'm not used to draw maps, why?

--
    @Ireth What was that roll?! Haha, amazing!

Ireth likes this.
  7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That roll was a freaking lucky shot, that's what it was. XD If only her attacks were more like that!

8. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Hey guys, I'm just waiting on El Gato.

Ireth likes this.
  9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

For a second there I thought you were talking about Gato Cat. XD Wrong feline.

10. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

That's really what I meant by waiting on scouts. Scouting is only useful when the GM says it is.

Speaking of El Gato, some unfinished Act II business… Baldy didn't pick berries for fun!

Keit, can you roll 2d4 four times? I think post-battle rest would get you your 8 MP, and cook-eat time, travel-to-surface time, and travel to Srilkind would get your 8 MP back.

@SP, is it okay with you if Keit rolls Goodberry in act II? She PM'd me that she'd join the hunt-gather, so I was waiting on that before finishing Act II business, but since Act III RP started I think it didn't make sense to anyone to RP Act II anymore, but instead to just say 'X happened.'

@Keit, Baldy has 48 berries. It's more than you can possibly turn with 8 MP, so let's see how many you get!

Nihal likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I PMed with Ankari last night. Have a PM in to Severin as well.

Keit can roll for berries in Act II. That's not a problem.

Nihal and Legendary Sidekick like this.
  12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Oooh, cool things are about to happen!

@LS
    Branwen drank some water in the room with the Gaita, what means there was water there. I believe this water was safer than the water with a dead lizard floating. xD

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I think you rolled it wrong. Liadan gets a +5 because she has +2 WIS mod, +1 for being level 2, and +2 Enhanced Senses (which is the same thing as Listen, so you don't add it twice. I wrote it in my post as "racial bonus"). Aldar should have +3 total: +1 for WIS and +2 for Enhanced Senses. Since he's level 1, his level bonus is 0.

Also, looking at your profile -- the +1 DEX mod for elves doesn't apply to your attribute as a bonus; it affects the numbers you choose from. Ask Sidekick or Steerpike how that works. ^^;

Nihal likes this.
  14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

It could be a bonus given by his summon familiar spell. I have not read about it with attention to know the exact bonus it gives, only enough to know that some types of familiars enhances senses. I'll read later to see if I can make sense of the spell.

However, I missed completely the DEX mix-up. Elves are a mystery for me. xD

15. Yeah its pretty solid to work this one out, see I get a +2 Listen bonus As well as a +2 enhanced sense, And then i gave myself a +1 because of my WIS. Ok not sure exactly, I suppose the familair could come into play ,but i guess we'l just have to see. :)

16. Nihal

Nihal Vala

The question is from where this "enhanced senses" comes. From what Ireth said elves get +2 and that's all. Something your calculation is missing is the character level.

Also, you've got to see with the SP how your familiar will work. It's a random roll, and the ritual requires a crazy amount of money or something. Possibly your character would already have his familiar summoned, but I don't know if he'll cut the cost or not. Besides this, I believe the bonuses weren't a simple + something, it depended on the situation, because animals don't perceive the world as we do. Yeah, I've got to read the spell.

Ireth likes this.
  17. Ahh i see, yeah ireth was just talking it over with me there, It is +2 enhanced sense and thats it . The character level is one so there is no bonus at all, as far a i know.

Steelpike could you possibly clear tis up for me please.

This is another thing i was just talking over with ireth. When i summon my familiar, 1. How long does it stay with me?
    2. Is it a familiar of my choice, Or an animal that is native to the area we are fighting in? (i thought it would be one fof my choice seeing as to possibly develope some sort of relationship with it, but i wasnt sure.)
    3. How much does it cost if it does in fact cost as i didnt see anything on the actual magic page, However Nihal is informing me it does now, so i just want to make sure.
    Nihal you wouldent happen to have a rough number would you, I happen to have 61gp 1sp and 6cp leftover from equipment buying.

18. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Lunch time! I may be wrong but I believe you add your level anyway. It's 1, not 0, so it does matter.

I've read the entry of the spell. SP can always change it, but if it stays as defined by the book, here we go:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #f3f4f4"]
    A familiar is a unique companion, a magical, unusually though and very intelligent version of a small animal. The spell takes a day to be cast and uses up materials costing at least 100gp, binding the familiar to the caster. A link is formed between the familiar and its master, granting certain abilities but functioning only if they are within one mile of each other.

Familiars do no fight. They may fight if they feel their masters are in a life-and-death situation, but magical beasts, especially the evil ones, might not fight if they feel their own life is at risk. If your familiar dies or is dismissed, the master loses a level in the class used to cast the spell (wizard in your case, your only class) and also permanently loses the number of HP the familiar granted him. You must wait a year and a day to replace your familiar, and like characters, dead familiars can be resurrected.

The type of familiar is random. The GM might apply modifiers if the materials used are special or he deems appropriated. A caster can refuse a certain familiar, but will have to wait a year and half to try again. Certain magical beasts only serve masters of a certain alignment; if one is summoned and refuses to serve the caster he can try the spell again in a month and a day.

Then, there is a table of rolls determining the familiar, with notes about them and some stuff about HP, intelligence etc. They're the cat, hawk, owl, raven, toad, weasel, GM's choice or magical beast–which can be celestial or fiendish animal, demon, devil, faerie, familiar dragon.

About the senses it's said that the master can share the familiar's sense as long the master concentrates in doing so. When concentrating you share his five senses, e.g. seeing through the familiar's eyes. If the familiar has an enhanced sense, like superior hearing, the master gains the benefit of the enhanced sense as well, but only as to what the familiar can sense.

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The exact bonuses must be written in the Monster Manual. From this reading I conclude you actually don't add something to your own stats; you use the familiar stats, listening, hearing etc through his senses.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. wow interesting,Some really steep penalties if your familiar dies.
    It would be great to have a dragon though, as due to aldars religion, He is able to speak the language of the ancient dragons should he stick to the duties of a worshipper.
    So basically, if he dies, i lose a complete level?

20. Nihal

Nihal Vala

The table associates the familiar with a certain number. To get a magical beast you must roll a natural 20. To get a dragon (remember, familiars are small, even the dragons are tiny!) you must roll another natural 20. Allowing you have one is SP's call.

From what I have understood, yes, you lose a level. The HP you lose is only the extra HP granted by the familiar.

About your attributes, any reason to stick with intermediate numbers? I see no point in keeping a 14 instead of a 13 unless you are anticipating items that would boost your score, turning it into a 16+ and changing the +1 bonus to +2 or more.

Given the confusion I believe SP would allow you to adjust your attributes. Based on Ireth's explanation your stats currently are:

STR: 6 [-1]
    DEX: 12*
    CON: 13 [+1]*
    INT: 15 [+1] (Prime)
    WIS: 14 [+1] (Prime)
    CHA: 6 [-1]

*11+1 racial; 14-1 racial

----
    Unrelated P.s.: I just saw I wrote "did she hearD". Shame on me, I'm always doing this!