1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

12 DEX is a waste of 3 points, since a 9 in DEX is the same mod as a 12 (0).

If SP lets you change: [9 DEX, 18 INT] or [9 DEX, 16 WIS, 16 INT].

Basically, when creating characters, stick to 4, 6, 9, 13, 16, 18. If you have points left over, dump them into whatever attribute will get you 1 point away from a better mod.

[18, 18, 9, 9, 6, 6] gets you mods that add up to +4. Any other combination of those 6 numbers should get you mods adding to +3.

If you're ever bothered by discovering such a mistake, let me know and I'll edit. Otherwise, I'll just fluff it off as, oh that Mauve and her improper grammar.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

@LS In some cases you might have access to items to increase these status, however, it's not guaranteed and I don't know yet how those bonuses works.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Right… but why have a +1 item increase your mods when you can just start with the best possible total?

But regarding +1 items, that's what I meant by dumping leftover points into one attribute. So, 18-12-9-9-9-9 works better than 18-10-10-10-9-9, but 17-12-10-9-9-9 is silly.

4. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Yeah, I agree. I, particularly, would leave some attribute like this only if I had nothing else to do with a point (especially since I already messed them by making some eccentric choices >D ), but it's his choice. He might not have noticed this detail, too.

P.s.: @LS
    I'm always doing these mistakes, I would bother you by asking every time! Sometimes I catch them in time to edit the post, others I don't.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Depends on the approach you take to characters. Some people will take the 9 for RP purposes, as that's a weaker than average character even though for purposes of a roll the modifier isn't different. In older versions of the games, I used the actual value on occasion for attribute checks (for a STR check, you had to roll under your STR, for example). C&C kind of eliminates that with their attribute check system.

The info on Find Familiar is correct. The spell takes some time to cast, and you can try to target towards a particular creature by choosing the reagents and how you cast the spell. You aren't guaranteed to get it, but the higher your casting roll the greater the likelihood of it. When a wizard has a familiar, they are imparting some of their life force to it, as well as their magical energy. That gives them the link to the creature, and it will grow over time as the wizard advances in level. Wizards have to be protective of them, though, because the death of a familiar extinguishes that part of the wizards life and magic forces that are shared, thus the lost HP, EXP, etc.

6. Legendary Sidekick

Well, yeah… RP is more important than being a combat machine. (Otherwise, I'd have scrapped the 13 in INT for better DEX. But I wanted a smart, clumsy, foolish barbarian—high INT, low DEX and WIS.)

7. Thanks for clearing it up for me about the familiar, Il definetely be aiming for a dragon, For mny reasons but mainly i think it would be interesting seeing as aldar is currently followin the religion which allows him to speak the language of ancient evil dragons.
    As for my attributes, The reason i left them as such was because i thought as you leveled up you gaines points i must have been mistaken.
    Ireth did tell me about the whole attributes aspect to things so i changed them slightly. I now have.
    STR :6(-1 mod) WIS: 14(+1) INT 15(+1) CON:14(+1) DEX:11 (0) CHA 6: (-1)

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

You could tweak them further still, since 14 and 15 have the same modifiers as 13. If you want, you could take 2 points from INT and add them to WIS, giving him a +2 WIS instead of just +1. Or take two points from DEX and add them to STR or CHA to make them stronger. Just my thoughts, it's up to you. :)

Nihal likes this.
  9. ok i adjusted my DEX to 9 and gave the points to my WIS
    Cheers all

10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Since he's a wizard it would be better if he improved his INT instead of his WIS. It's the prime attribute for our class, so, I guess it's the only one that can be added in spellcasting.

In combat WIS is useful for mana or listening/hearing checks. If his INT should be high, probably higher than his WIS it'll be the attribute that will dictate his mana bonus as well. He has summon familiar, hence, some extra HP and the option of using his familiar's senses.

If the idea of relying too much on the familiar doesn't bother him, he could prioritize his INT over CON and WIS. It's a risky move, not only because the familiar can die but he doesn't even know which one he'll get, but it's still a valid move.

@Something, you should read http://mythicscribes.com/forums/dragons-egg-rpg/6544-dragons-egg-rpg-character-creation.html. Pay attention to the Score / Modifier table.

And a small observation: Why would your character, being a good aligned character, want to chat with evil dragons? Now I'm taking a good look at the deity you picked, it's a chaotic evil deity! Your good character would be required to capture and sacrifice creatures every new moon. I don't think it's going to work...

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I can answer the deity question, Nihal. Aldar has a thirst for knowledge, and the language of evil dragons is something he wants to learn. That's a good point about the sacrifices, though... at least Liadan only has to sacrifice twice a year, and it's taboo to sacrifice elves or innocents.

12. Ahh no Nihal , i realize my deity choice is bit out of the blue, But there is very good reason!
    Aldar is knowledge hungry, it is the foundation of his being, Hence talking to dragons entices him, So he will have to make the sacrifice in order to do so, He is a good guy, But the knowledge of that was too tempting for him to pass up.

Relying on the familiar it really sort of risky for me, I would be less worried when he gets bigger/slightly more powerfull but to start i would be guarding him very closely.
    I have read it thanks, Im just not 100% used to the whole system yet, Il have another read over it now just so i can familiarize myself with it all really.
    The best way to get used to it is playing ehh? I want to thank you all for being so patient with me. It is apreciated greatly.
    Hmm, I thought you used WIS for magical attacks?

13. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Yes, I imagined the thirst for knowledge. Líadan is also required to sacrifice things, but she can opt even for not killing things; she worships a Lawful Good deity.

Aldar worships an evil deity, I can't picture a good character worshipping an evil deity. It's like...

Aldar: Hey, hello little child! Do you want a ice cream? :D
    Laurus: *whisper* Kill the child.
    Aldar: Okay. :D

I don't know how to explain properly, my skill in English knowledge is getting in the way, but it sounds wrong to me. A deity isn't just a bonus-giver thing, your character believes in it, follows its commandments, puts his heart on it. Evil deities are evil, I can not see a good character knowing this, believing in this and still being good because he's required to follow a certain code of moral conduct, and in this case, it's an evil code.

It's not the same situation of a good character committing an sporadic evil act for the greater good nor of an evil character doing an occasional good act or doing every wrong things for a good reason.

TL;DR, I guess we'll have to see what SP has to say about this. ^^'

P.s.: About Magic: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/dragons-egg-rpg/6662-dragons-egg-rpg-magic.html
    Our class prime attribute is INT, so, I believe it's the one used in spellcasting, otherwise it would be "INT or WIS". We do not have this choice.

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

The way I see it (solely my opinion, mind you), he's more doing lip service to the god than anything. Maybe he only does it for the knowledge, while in reality he worships a good deity with all his heart? I picture it like the ancient Christians who'd bow down to the Emperor or sacrifice to him just so they wouldn't get executed. Sort of.

15. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Deities are no mortals to be so easily fooled. The boon he received is something of divine nature, something special bestowed on him by his deity, at the least by some high priest. It's not a trinket he received in a temple, it's important.

Gah, I'm not in position to discuss this, I'm just saying my impressions. We should wait the almighty Feline Overlord's input. xD

P.s.: In Gods: "For the gods below, I have provided basic information, including alignment (which should be within a step of the worshipper's alignment)."

To worship an evil deity your character should be at least a true neutral. I knew there was a rule like this, I just forgot to look in the obvious place, the thread he created about gods. Duh.

About INT vs WIS: I forgot, INT determines also the number of extra spells a wizard starts. It's described as the attribute involved with arcane spells, so... yeah... xD

Ireth likes this.
  16. Well any character can worship any god, Their alignment can change says the rules, So technically it shouldn’t matter, However i will just state why he does it.
    He is thirsty for knowledge, It is even his one weakness, He feels he must learn everything he can and ancient spells and abilities enthral him even more. The ability to talk to dragons intrigues him so much that he feels he HAS to learn it anyway possible, Its not " Oh i think il follow an evil god for the fun of it" It is very much , I hate evil, But i feel i could do good with my power of being able to talk to dragons in the long run , maybe even benefit the party at some point, so i want to worship said god, (worship maybe being to strong) do what is required of me to gain this ability. Thats where i stand anyway.

17. No probs about the Int , Wait, So how many spells should i be starting with then :O I thought it was only 3 level one spells? Do you get a mod if your int is a certain level?

Also about the true neutral, i didnt know that so disregard my bit in my post about it.

Hmm.. he is a neutral good character, He definitely is not a bad guy, But he NEEDS to learn this language its who he is, i just know it :D

18. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Getting ready to hit to road, so I won't be back online until later.

With respect to the issue of gods - the boon, taboo, and ceremony are only for devout characters. To get, those, you have to live in a way that is consistent with the tenets of the god in question. To worship a chaotic evil god, you'd want to be neutral at least. You'll want to act in a way that is consistent with the god's tenets and at least not outright contradictory to the god's alignment. The ceremony and taboo are important to receiving the boon, so if you don't maintain those you won't get the boon.

Remember, you don't have to follow the ceremony and taboo just because you worship a god. Those things and the boon are for the truly devout among the god's worshippers, so you really want to do your best to embody the ideals of the god to maintain that degree of devotion.

Nihal likes this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

To answer the question about the number of spells Aldar starts with...

Nihal likes this.
  20. Ok SP. Thanks for the input, I want that for my character, So be it, Thats the way it will need to be. I know it will come in handy at some point ;)

cheers mate