1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

PM it to Steerpike. He's our GM. Also, we use "attribute checks", not feats. :)

2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

@ PlotHolio
    No feats to pick if I remember it right (I don't play a melee). Here is the Quickstart, if you didn't stumble on it already.

@ Ireth
    Welcome back! Try to post your characters thoughts on their new destination if possible. The discussion starts here, #175386. So far everyone agreed on Drimmen-delve, except Ankari, who wants to go talk with the gnolls about an alliance instead.

P.s.: Feline Overlord, could you PM me with Mauve's Detect Magic check result later? I doubt Dalla has anything enchanted on her, but...

Ireth likes this.
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

This system is better than one that has particular feats if you ask me. If you do something that requires strength, like lift a really heavy thing, roll a STR check. If you want to do acrobatics to show off, do a DEX check. Some skills require a certain kind of check, so pick your primaries wisely based on… meh. You're a fighter. Yeah, no worries for you.

I never played D&D, so I don't know what having to pick feats is like. I just knew having generic feats of strength is better when I scored my first kill. I'll skip the successful roll. Just read Baldhart's result in the GM post.

4. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Feats give your character bonuses or special abilities. In Pathfinder, for example, there's a feat called Sneaky Vagabond that gives you a +2 to Hide and Move Silently if someone is actively trying to find you. There's another for Barbarians that allows them to use two-handed weapons as if they were one-handed weapons.

5. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Special abilities are listed with the class.

The human gets 3 prime abilities, which when making abilitiy checks is very important. ((although most of my fails are clear fails, the dice is either feast or famine.))

Fighter: only gets weapon specialization(+1). All other warrior classes get alot more "feats".
    Fighter is the basic swordsman, almost no special abilitys. Primes change for different warrior classes, but with 3 prime, thats not a problem. {Con-barb, , Cha-knight, paladin, bard; STR-ftr, ranger}
    Don't rush character making. Maybe even make a few characters.
    Thief advances levels faster then any Paladin slowest(at least for 2nd level)(wizard 2600exp, Paladin 2700exp)
    Several races can move silently, thief has that ability.

also deities offer bonuses and requirements that can spice up a characters life. Choose wisely.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. Legendary Sidekick

Don't underestimate mental attributes either. I would suggest WIS or CHA as a prime. WIS is the means of resisting holding spells, and CHA resists mind control. If you can't decide, WIS checks also help patch wounds. We had a player who dumped 18s into STR, DEX, and CON primes, but between crappy rolls and singing harpies, his seemingly perfect melee stats did not help him!

Personally, I wanted my character to be intelligent, likable and foolish, so high INT, low WIS, prime CHA were really about character and not about battle. She's huge, so STR/CON are awesome and DEX sucks. I don't expect you'll see her swatting arrows out of the air despite having the skill to do so.

PS- Nissa's tone is meant to be calm and gentle, not bitching anyone out. I only typed her dialogue, so tone may not be obvious. I had to submit without looking back since I'm working for the Dept. of Education today.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

No Feats or Skills. I find 3.X/Pathfinder to be too bloated for my taste even when sitting around a table, and when running a game on the forums with a group who may have never played before, it really becomes unwieldly. The only real advantage is having the SRD online.

Also, 3.X/Pathfinder lend themselves heavily to min/maxing and people constantly trying to game the system to eke out every minor benefit. It all becomes a bunch of metagaming as opposed to role-playing. Also something I'm not interested in :)

8. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Well, most of my d20 experience is with Rogues/Thieves, and I didn't want to be the third Thief. I thought about being the second Barbarian, but I decided I wanted to be slightly more well-rounded than a Barbarian would be.

Also, thanks for pointing out that deities do things. I forgot about them when I made the character.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Yeah… and you'd be the 3rd barbarian. (4th ever, counting the former barb PC.)

10. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Eh. I'll throw an Assassin together tonight and see which one I feel like playing more.

11. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

ehhh... bettter give u guys the head's up when Batos reverts back to elf form he's gonna be a fighter. lol

and hello PlotHolio, hope you have a fun time here

12. Legendary Sidekick

Oh… Baldhart will be very disappointed when it turns out he doesn't talk like Scooby-Doo.

Also, I didn't read the above post before I replied in-character. Now I'm REALLY glad Baldy said stay out of the store. I think a wolf-warg is hard enough for the villagers to deal with. But a wolf-warg becoming a naked elf? In public? During Father Geralt's funeral? Hmm… now I'm NOT glad Baldy said stay out of the store.

13. Nihal

Nihal Vala

@PlotHolio

Welcome aboard! I'm under the impression your character lives in Arendal, or is a regular, or was there the night before, so I'll give you a quick summary of what happened recently or rp-wise things would be slightly odd for your character.

Then and Now

Magic is feared by the majority of the population. People who practice it and anyone who possesses magical features are seen as demoniac, and witch-burning isn't exactly uncommon.

We're in the north of the world know as Mathera (map of the north here), and there has been quite some stir in the region since an unnatural darkness known as the Taint descented on these lands (started years ago, I think?). They say it's somehow linked to the disappearance/death of the priestess Aslaug, born in neighboring town, Srilkind.

Two days ago a group of adventurers arrived in Arendal (the town you're at). The majority of them aren't northerners, and some of them are elves, which are extremely rare in the north. They brought some survivors from Srilkind and the news that the neighboring town was nearly burned to the ground by an army of gnolls and goblins.

They had a "demon" with them, a winged child (an harpy), which the head priest of the temple of Tyr in Arendal desired to purify (burn). During the night an elf of the group killed the priest, and aided by an one-eyed woman also of the group he fled. She was arrested under charges of helping a murderer escape and practicing witchcraft, but she managed to escape too.

Later in this same night fish-demons coming from the sea attacked Arendal, the gnoll army appeared out of the blue, but somehow the adventurers had struck a temporary alliance with them to push the fish-demons back. It worked, and thanks to the adventurers' efforts there were almost no casualties during this attack. The gnolls searched the village, looking for someone, and left peacefully. A tiny winged woman known as Nissa revealed herself a valkyrie of the goddess Brynhild during this fight. (LS might be able to give you more details here, I don't remember exactly who could have seen her in this occasion and later around)

Another minor incident happened the following night, something involving another elf covered in scales, but whatever it was it ended quickly. Some of the group left the town during the night, others the next morning (now).

The world's lore, if you have any interest in it: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/dragon-s-egg-rpg/6661-dragons-egg-rpg-background.html

14. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Actually, that works out pretty well with what I wrote. We'll just say Roderick was guarding Da-VEED during all this.

15. Legendary Sidekick

Guarding Da-VEED and being clueless/hazy about the events as a result could work.

16. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

lol, i plan for him to be turned when keitsumah gets strong enough to turn into an animal- and then the spell somehow backfires the first time (afterwards she'll be ablt to shape-change as normal) but the first time she'll end up passing out and lose all mana, rather than the usual ammount. seems fair considerign that drastic spell break and how strogn a druid Batos's mother is, or was.

*wince* it's not gonna be pretty...

as for Batos's appearance, he's gonna be pretty scary up until he calms down. over-protective wolfy remember? he wont lose that nature very easilly, but he will be able to talk. however, he will growl, glare, and have a few odd features. For one his appearance will be sharper than the normal elf, he will be bigger, and his hair...

how long can a person's hair grow in 18-20 odd years? he'll need a haircut for sure.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Looks like Rod will see a really huge white wolf emerge from the woods. He may or may not notice Nissa is unfazed by the animal's presence.

(Silly half-halfling and her racial trait, "fearlessness," which contributed to her untimely death.)

18. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

So how big is the world in general, And why is a massive section of the continent unlabeled?

19. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Annd i feel Batos is going to be very amused by this character...:p

20. Legendary Sidekick

It's going to take more than 2 weeks to travel from Arendal to Drimmen-Delve. There's also a southern continent which I assume is bigger, and that's where more of the player characters are from. (Keit, Batos and Mauve are from the north, I believe.)