1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

@Plotholio,

Enjoyed helping get Rod in-game!

I just wanted to make a suggestion, in case the topic of the fish-demon battle comes up again. I think it's fine to say Rod was in the fight, but I'd advise a realistic tale regarding his involvement. To say he killed 2 or 3 fish demons with help would work, and he'd have to have been outdoors, since PCs would have seen fish demon corpses in the inn.

I just don't want you to be in a situation where you're claiming multiple single-handed kills in a place that players secured, when some experienced players might have killed one or none because of bad rolls, and those who killed 5+ had really good rolls. Three kills is already above average, and an experienced NPC nearly died taking three of them on by herself. (The two strongest NPCs had consistently crappy rolls!)

I only say this because if Rod were to claim 10 kills, or even 5, or "some by myself," or if he talked of seeing even one dead person, he'd come off as a BS-artist where I think your goal is to have him say truthfully that he was involved in a fight that the entire town was in. That makes sense for his backstory to include, "yeah, I was in that fight defending the children east of the caves*," as long as Steerpike's cool with that.

*((That's the left side of the battle map, which was south-side-up.))

Nihal likes this.
  2. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

I haven't really had the chance to read that far back. I just got greenlit last night and I've been at work all day. I can go back and edit if you want.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The world is large, with these northern lands making up only a very small part. The north is mostly still wild, and the unlabeled parts of the map indicate areas that the party knows nothing about. Even the labeled areas are relatively unfamiliar to the group, but they know the locations of a few towns.

Nihal likes this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

I don't see the need to edit. Just thought I'd let you know, since without playing, it's hard to tell what your character could really do. No harm in saying you got a couple in the cellar. A fighter wouldn't have a problem taking them one at a time with a short sword (broken but functional) and if he's armored. Three at once would be another story, as a strong NPC with a longsword was close to death when she got triple-teamed.

And because that NPC's the inn-keeper, a cellar of a building to the east would work rather than the inn that players and NPCs were careful to watch.

I'm just trying to help you avoid a situation a former player was in. He claimed to be a general and in-game, he was decidedly un-general-like.

Baldhart never wore a chain mail bikini either, and I know she's too distant in this pic for this to work as an avatar, but I completed it anyway.

[​IMG]

98+ rep points to the first to guess who's getting suplexed. Answer on Monday after work if no one guesses it.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Mauve is from somewhere in some mountains; she once traveled in the opposite direction they're taking now, but to make everything easier let's assume she mostly wandered around like a dork. She'd avoid bigger towns anyway, because people are freaks.

6. Legendary Sidekick

In case there is an enemy to fight, how many level 1's do we have? Just Rod? Did Bressel level yet?

7. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

What are you talking about? I'm Level 15*.

*Statement may not be true.

8. Legendary Sidekick

@PlotHolio, since you have no idea what children are among us, here's a list of every name in the party:

[​IMG]

…and a description + where they are now IF ahead of Rod:

Aliron - male elf, reformed thief, wears a moon pendant and a lot of black, is way ahead of the group last seen with swords sheathed and bow shouldered

Ankari - male elf, ranger in leather armor, maybe came off as a grumpy Gus in conversation, in battle has his game face on and head in the game, is way ahead of the others

Both of the above are stealthy characters with the move-silent skill.

Baldhart - female human, calls her self a nun, looks more like a barbarian, is a bit faster than average (due to monk movement bonus) and is currently running ahead with only a dress, purse and jewelry on her

Batos - male wolf/warg, the oversized wolf that Nissa was riding earlier, one of two animals in the party, but this one is unusually intelligent as Rod observed… he's probably running ahead either with Baldhart or passing her

Bressel - male human, huge red-haired barbarian with huge blades (2h axe, 2h sword) and heavy bronze armor (breastplate), likes to sing

And now, THE CHILDREN. There are two:

Branwen - female harpy, age ~4, big for her age, looks and acts like a normal girl except she has brown wings, talons for feet, and teeth that might give you second thoughts about hand-feeding her… that and the way she eats, which is animal-like. Rod also would have noticed that when she sings, small animals come to her in a trance. She thinks this is funny.

"Burnbright" (Catli) - female human, age ~12, practices martial arts a lot and wants to be like Veborg, who Rod likely figured is a warrior woman. Rod also might have noticed that no one is particularly bothered by the way she and Masama return from training with fresh bruises on the girl, and the large monk walking funny.

Cadell - male elf, looks like a knight, might sound like a drummer though likely Rod's only seen the drum since I doubt the party is trying to add to the noise. Rod's never seen him take off his left-hand gauntlet, or if he has, then he noticed there is no hand under the gauntlet… which is kinda funny since Cadell can grip a sword left-handed. He has the only horse in the party. Her name is Llucheden.

Dalla - female human, Ankari is training her, Rod heard doubts about her at the start of her trip, but probably not in the last couple days; she keeps to herself and cries a lot (maybe Ankari's words snapped her out of that)

Keitsumah - female, "Young elf of 18, large violet eyes, long brass hair, grey fur cloak and a glowing gemstone necklace the same color as her eyes. Under the cloak she wields a staff and a small knife, but that's not much more useful than for skinning animals. Clothes consist of tan skins stitched into a well-fitted shirt and leggings. She has a blotchy scar on one hand." ~Keitsumah

Liadan - female elf, Cadell's wife, priestess, and a healer (as is Keitsumah). Her bow has a topaz gem on it, which I guess makes the weapon look expensive.

Masama - male human, 6'7" with very dark skin, fights with his bare hands though so far, the party's only seen him fight Burnbright. It seems he is trusted by everyone to help care for the children. SP's post will state whether he keeps pace with Baldhart or with the children.

Mauve - "20 years old human female, black hair, one eye of brown color other golden with a slit pupil, like a cat or snake. Three jagged scars across a side of her face. Low pitched voice. No armor, a red trimmed with fur cloak that has seen better days, and unlike the other women in the group she wears pants. *shock* Weapon of choice: Spear" ~Nihal

Nissa
    - the tiny valkyrie, flying ahead twice as fast as you can run

Roderick - you

9. Legendary Sidekick

HINT: There's a reason why I think there's a chance any of you—regardless of age, gender, nationality—can guess the real-life wrestler in the manipulated blurry photo. Even if you don't guess, I'll show the video after work. It's pretty damn funny.

10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

There is only one thief and one ranger.

Aliron's history; raised in a travelling show, learned feats of dexterity to entertain and feats of thievery to survive. Although now he prefers to enter and leave unnoticed. When he first started he didn't risk going out alone, but with experience he can survive on his own if need be. Stealth, speed, and ability to blend in make his chance of surviving much better.
    His show days taught him to trust no one, but loved to make the kids laugh.
    He has a strong dislike for his father(an abusive thief). He also has a disreguard for authority. If he is ordered to do something, he usually finds a better way to get it done. Also the leader is always his first target.
    He believes if killing needs to be done, killing quiet is always much better.

11. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Welcome aboard, PlotHolio!

Gah, things keep moving so fast! *scrambles to keep up* I sent a PM to Steerpike with an idea I had, though it's up to him whether we actually do it.

Also, Liadan is not actually married to Cadell. They're lovers, but not husband and wife. (In their origin story, their people are rather free about sex and such -- no "sex-equals-marriage, instant soul-bonds for all eternity via losing virginity" stuff. Cadell has had previous lovers, and it's quite possible Liadan had some too. But they seem quite devoted to one another, so he might pop the question at some point, just to make things official.

13. Legendary Sidekick

Oh. My mistake then.

Also, though no one guessed I'll tell you anyway. Here's Baldhart's opponent:

The scene I used starts after the 0:30 mark.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  14. Legendary Sidekick

Whether the squire thing works out or not, I love this line:

15. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

A big thunderstorm knocked out my Internet and I'm not sure when it will be fixed. I will post from other locations as often as I can.

Steerpike likes this.
  16. Steerpike

Thanks for letting us know. Been there, and it's no fun. I won't have Roderick do much while you're gone, but I'll assume that if his life is threatened he'll defend himself.

17. Legendary Sidekick

@Keit, before we assume everyone has 4 berries, was a GM call ever made that we were able to keep all 53 as good berries? (Baldy's gathering rolls in Arendal + Keit's Goodberry spell cast as needed for 2-3 days + Liadan's Purify spell cast daily.)

It's possible a call was made and I missed it. A lot went on today between writing and car issues.

18. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

yeah -steer had Batos with the bag of goodberries offer them to Nissa. I figured that might be a good idea so we have three healers around rather than just two. Keitsumah can still cast spells of healing, as well as Liadan, so spreading it would help. I think we just have to wait for his call on whether all were changed succsessfully.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  19. Steerpike

Yeah, go ahead and assume you have all of them. I'm easy going :) Or, at least, assume that Nissa now has them in the pouch Batos delivered.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  20. Legendary Sidekick

If you don't mind, I'll have Baldy take them for now so Nissa doesn't run into a small, dark hole and die with our healing supplies. I was going to have Baldy offer to grab them from Batos as he ran by. (I couldn't remember if I did that or not as I honestly forget what I posted as opposed to though of posting.)

But yeah, Nissa can be on healing duty.

EDIT- Ah… already resolved in GM post. Cool!