1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Where I get it from is this:
    Half Elves favoring human lineage also get: +2 to all attribute checks with a chosen secondary attribute.

Maybe that's not quite the same definition as prime, but that's the bonus whose related attribute I'm trying to determine. (Sorry, I'm still learning the terminology here!)

I really would prefer to make an informed decision if possible. But if no one has seen an Illusionist before, I may come back to the random choice option. :)

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Secondary attributes are your attributes which are NOT prime.

This is my only RP that's anywhere close to DnD, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the Illusionist question.

3. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

This isnt a terribly mechanic heavy game, so just go with whatever sounds good for the character to you ;)

4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Example: INT is your class prime, and you choose CHA as your other prime.
    You choose DEX as your secondary with a +2 bonus.

This means that when you roll a DEX check or DEX save, you roll (if level 2 with 9 in DEX)—
    1d20+2+0+2
    —and it's a secondary, so you still need to roll an 18 + difficulty level.

Ireth likes this.
  5. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I think I'm going to go with WIS as my bonused secondary. I like the idea of Cali being able to read into people to determine what illusion to choose. Here's to hoping the poor girl doesn't die early in battle, given her complete lack of physical prowess, LOL!

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Don't worry, we'll protect her. ^^

tbgg likes this.
  7. Legendary Sidekick

We have meat shields.

Crap. I play a meat shield. The meatiest. (HP=meatiness)

Ireth likes this.
  8. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

I am sorry I get lost so quickly in this rpg but I still wish to welcome you. I started getting lost when we got to the orc camp because school is making it hard to find time to make posts but we have gotten 3 feet of snow and are off until at least Wednesday so hopefully I will make a post in rhe next go around.

9. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Don't freeze in the cold! And thanks for the welcome. Nice to meet you, too. :)

Philster401 likes this.
  10. tbgg

tbgg Sage

One more thing...given Cali can't carry that much, weakling that she is, I was thinking about having her buy a pack mule - I'm pretty sure she'll have enough coin for that. What do you guys think about that? Or are we not messing with the encumbrance stuff listed in the player handbook?

11. Legendary Sidekick

Stay safe over there. Hopefully, your governor will put safety before politics and not have you in school on Saturday or in June to make up state-of-emergency days.

Philster401 likes this.
  12. Philster401

Philster401 Maester

We normally have 2 weeks of snow days built it to the school year and what we have to worry about at least on my street is the rain we supposed to have tomorrow.

13. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Well, I got to reading in the C&C handbook about how DEX helps mages stay focused during battle, so I made that Cali's second prime instead of CON. Now she's not totally useless in a physical challenge, but she won't be taking damage all that well. Bring on the meat shields! ;)

14. Legendary Sidekick

You can perform some feats of dexterity. Can illusionists throw weapons? They should have.... I don't know... razor sharp playing cards? A throwing rabbit? Rabbits have been thrown. They bounced harmlessly off Baldhart, but there is a precedent.

Philster401 likes this.
  15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Hey guys, I'm at work and don't have the PHB with me. I'll get answers to all the questions first thing this evening, when I have my materials to refer to as needed.

@tbgg - We're not really messing with encumbrance. It's more of a "keep it reasonable" standard. I went with C&C to begin with because when we started we had a lot of people who never played any kind of D&D, and I wanted something simple. Keeping track of encumbrance can be an unnecessary burden, so unless things get ridiculous I won't do it. If you're walking around with ten sword and five shields or something, then there will be an issue :)

A mule would certainly be handy, though, as the party has already begun to accumulate things.

tbgg likes this.
  16. Steerpike

@tbgg

Do you know which printing of the PHB you got?

17. tbgg

tbgg Sage

The 4th printing. I got it on Kindle, so it's on my iPad.

Oh, look. I just found the info on racial ages, LOL. :eek: I was looking in the Half-Elf section, not at the beginning of the Racial section. Sorry about that!

18. Steerpike

No problem. Glad you have the 4th printing, since that's the one I have as well :)

19. tbgg

tbgg Sage

I don't know about throwing, but illusionists can carry staff, dagger, dart, and/or club. I was thinking about picking up a staff and dagger for Cali, but it almost sounds like I should rethink that. I would assume any of those could be thrown, though throwing the staff sounds kinda dumb unless you're using it as some kind of feint maneuver. The club might be too heavy for her low strength, but I would think the dart and dagger would be light enough. And if she could get some of that poison that party got from the drow for darts, oooh <evil laugh>

Steerpike: Are illusionists allowed to throw weapons? Even though the PHB says Illusionists eschew weapons because no intelligence is involved, Cali's human grandfather (who she was raised by) was a Paladin who specialized in tactics and strategy. He always taught people to use any weapon they could, and to think of things that weren't normally weapons as potential weapons. If what you had was not something the enemy expected you to use, so much the better. Accordingly, she doesn't hold the standard Illusionist prejudice against using weapons, though I understand she won't be able to cast a spell and throw something at the same time. But if for some reason she can't cast, having a weapon to throw would be a nice fallback. What do you say? Is it legal for her to throw something, given her now high DEX-as-prime?

20. tbgg

tbgg Sage