1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welcome to the Dragon's Egg RPG subforum

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Darts are a throwing weapon... so yes you can throw those. possibly daggers too if they are designed for it.

2. tbgg

tbgg Sage

This appears at the very beginning of Act IV. The group didn't go back through Srilkind before heading north, did they? I just need to make sure that when Cali meets up with Matthew, the party didn't come back through Srilkind as they made their way toward Ballara. If I'm reading the map right, if they'd stuck to the road, they would have needed to. But if they avoided the road as implied above, they might not have, depending on where exactly they left the road.

Then the other question I have is, does anyone remember whether the party told the builders where they were headed, so that the builders could tell Cali and she can avoid a trip to Arendal to find out their destination? I did go back a way into Act III to try to find out, but I didn’t see it mentioned. I might not have gone back far enough, though.

May I assume a little license here and say that at the last minute before the builder group left for Srilkind that Liam remembered a toy he wanted to bring with him and his parents let him run back to get it, and as he was running by the party, he heard them say something about resupplying in Ballara?

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I don't think they went back through Srilkind.

Also... Matthew? He hasn't been with the group for a loooong time. I'm not sure how likely it is that Cali would meet him at all, even if Steerpike decides to bring him back as an NPC.

4. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

My, you are REALLY detail oriented, aren't you? I wish I had more players like you in games I run.

5. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Gisla (of Arendel) would likely suspect the group is going to Alfoss, but she'd also know the local seamstress' daughter is with the group. (Dalla's mother--I forget her name. An E word) Maybe Dalla's mother might know Ballara is the destination. She made Nissa's outfit, and fixed the backpack so it could hide her wings.

If Cali travels along the main road, maybe Inquisitir Brecht would confirm the group is in Ballara. (He'd likely keep a secret unless Cali is a good character. He can detect evil, though he asks permission.)

6. tbgg

tbgg Sage

The goal was to avoid the trip to Arendal in the first place if possible - Gisla and Elli (Dalla's mom) are both IN Arendal. And the problem is still that if she doesn't go to Arendal, she needs something to cue her to move from Srilkind toward Ballara. She wouldn't move north on the main road from Srilkind without a reason to. (And FWIW, she's Neutral Good, so the Detect Evil wouldn't be a problem.)

@AkamaruGames Yep, that's me. My detail-orientedness is both a blessing and a curse! :D

7. Legendary Sidekick

Grimm would likely figure out the ultimate destination is north. Ballara is the northernmost human town outside the Taint. That might work.

8. tbgg

tbgg Sage

1. I just recently read the whooole story from the beginning, so I think I have a different perspective on the time lapse than you do. Don't forget, what may have taken a loooong time for you guys to RP seems to be somewhere around a week, give or take, IG time. (I forget travel time from Srilkind to Arendal, but it can't be that long - looks how close together they are on the map. They were in Arendal for a day or less, then there was one point after that that they traveled 5 days. I don't remember the timeframe between killing the drow and arriving in Ballara, but again, I'm thinking not that long. Travel time from Arendal to Drimmen-Delve was stated as being only 2 weeks, and the party isn't even halfway there yet.)

2. The timeframe I'm talking about for having Cali talk to Matthew, is LATER THE SAME DAY after the party left him there. I seriously doubt Matthew would leave the children until there were adults on hand to see to their care.

3. Matthew never needs to show up as an NPC for any reason I can think of. Cali just needs to have had a conversation with him in Srilkind for her to become interested in joining the party BEFORE I officially introduce her into the RP. (I'm working on her immediate-past backstory here, so when she meets you all, she doesn't sound like a stupid fool - she's supposed to be smart after all, LOL).

Make sense?

9. Legendary Sidekick

*sigh of relief*

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Thanks, TB, that does make sense. Though I can't recall what sort of terms Matthew left the party on, like whether it was amiable or not. Matthew's views on the rest of the company in that case might taint Cali's decision one way or the other.

11. tbgg

tbgg Sage

That was never really stated. It was like Phietadix just stopped playing one day, and you all drug him around with you for a while, and you, Ireth, actually played him for a little while, particularly in the battle against Calexa, if I remember right. Then when you all got back to Srilkind, someone had the idea of leaving him to watch the orphans, which made sense under the circumstances - no player. So IRL, we don't know if his departure was amiable or not. IG, I say we assume it was reasonably cordial if maybe a little strained in absence of the player telling us otherwise.

I don't know if you guys remember, but in the last few posts Phietadix made, Matthew was either talking or at least thinking about committing suicide. I'm going to say that a little bit of that came out, and Cali started asking him about it. Then he told her the story of the party facing the lizard queen and her minions - the one where he said he was protecting Burnbright, and he stayed back in that one room the whole time with the table turned on its edge. He also mentioned something about Mauve missing her spells, which lets her know you guys worked with a magic user and are not opposed to them like so many in the North are - and that is what gets her interested in joining the party. So then she's torn - concern over Matthew's mental state vs. gee, I really want to meet these people and see if it's safe for me to practice my magic with them, and when the builders show up, she chooses her pursuit of magic, though she does ask Grim and his wife to keep an eye on Matthew's mental state. And as she meets the party, she's REALLY hoping Baldhart isn't a terrible leader.

And FWIW, I'm assuming discretion on the part of Matthew in terms of talking to her about the overall quest. I'm saying he had to explain that he went back to the room because there was a young girl at the center of the mission who needed to be protected even if it meant everyone dying, but he never told her anything else about what their mission was about. Seems to me like an honest knight, however flawed, would keep that in mind. ;)

Ireth likes this.
  12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

@tbgg - I'm open to however you want to introduce your PC. We can work it out in this thread or via PM.

13. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Her "knowing things" might make it easier to "fit in" and be accepted by the group.(except for Aliron, maybe Marius, but we aren't in the "trusting " business.)

(The list of people Aliron trusts to any degree is very small.)

The "knowing" of not using magic in view of the masses is very important.

Game note: Branwen "hiding": That's what I thought. Even if an ability or not for harpy's she can learn to be better. Aliron can point out anything she can do to improve.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

The only thing that will decide whether Marius trusts anyone or not is the 2-week-copper.

Ireth likes this.
  15. Legendary Sidekick

@SP, does the party leave the Orc camp with the dwarves following us?

I'm holding off on Baldhart's reply to Liadan since I assume we all get out (based on that there were GM clarifications after Ireth posted, but none saying "you're not out of Orc camp yet"), but I don't want to go too far in case there's a reason our exit would be delayed either by Korgak or by enraged orcs openly defying their leader.

16. Steerpike

Yes, assume the party is allowed to leave, dwarves in tow. I'll be on the road this morning and I am judging a science fair this afternoon, so update will be tonight.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

How injured are the dwarves, HP-wise? Just wondering how many healing spells Liadan will have to cast, depending on the outcomes.

18. Steerpike

The first dwarf you saw isn't all that bad. The one who was naked looks pretty beat up and has plenty of scabbed over cuts, a few oozing blood, but after initially being out of it when put back in the cage he seems to have recovered and isn't acting like he's very hurt (dwarves are stubborn, so who knows for sure). In any event, a single healing spell would take care of the wounds. Even if he's not fully healed HP-wise, that will put him in pretty good shape. Some rest will help too.

Ireth likes this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Well, my first attempts were natural 1's for each dwarf, so Liadan tried again anyway.

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

You typo'd. Liadan is a she. ^^