• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you call shoes that fly?

keiani

Dreamer
What do you call shoes that (mechanically, somehow, not magically) make you fly? I keep wanting to say jetpack shoes but that doesn't seem right, nor does rocket shoes or hover shoes. Thoughts?

Mindfire

Istar
I've heard them called rocket boots. But that only works if they're actually boots. For shoes in general... i think rocket shoes is your best bet.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Last edited:

keiani

Dreamer
Hmmm, thanks! Maybe rocket shoes wasn't rolling off the tongue because I was trying to find "boots" instead of "shoes."

I've heard them called rocket boots. But that only works if they're actually boots.

Not necessarily. If they started out as boots but evolved into shoes over time, the "boot" designation can be vestigial. Kinda like how "car" originally meant a kind of chariot, or modern cannons are still called that even though they are very different from actual old-timey cannons.

Phietadix

Auror
It really would depend on how they work. If they are rocket powered, then rocket boots sound good. But what if they use magnets or an anti-gravity device? Then rocket boots doesn't really fit.

Mindfire

Istar
It really would depend on how they work. If they are rocket powered, then rocket boots sound good. But what if they use magnets or an anti-gravity device? Then rocket boots doesn't really fit.

In that case they'd be maglev or anti-gravity boots, respectively.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Flying + shoes = Foos
Jet + Shoes = .... err... that won't work.... lets skip this one.
Rocket + Shoes = Roos
Gravity + Shoes = Goos

Flying + Sneakers = Freakers
Jet + Sneakers = Jeakers
Rocket + Sneakers = Reakers
Gravity + Sneakers = Geakers

I'll stop now... but you get the idea

Phietadix

Auror
Flying + shoes = Foos
Rocket + Shoes = Roos
Gravity + Shoes = Goos

Jet + Sneakers = Jeakers

That just doesn't sound right. Besides some of those are real words.

keiani

Dreamer
Thank you! I had not decided how they worked but anti-gravity boots are sounding more enticing than rockets. Aaand now I want a pair of JS wings, haha (or some more Icarian sandals?)

Saigonnus

Auror
Flying + shoes = Foos
Rocket + Shoes = Roos
Gravity + Shoes = Goos

Jet + Sneakers = Jeakers

Jet + Shoes = Shets? i.e. shoes with jets :p

You could also consider naming them after the person/persons that invented/created them within your story. Don's Flying flip-flops or "He put on his shoes of Icarus and headed out the door, winging his way to work."

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
In the big space battle in the Return of the Jedi one of the space ships is supposed to actually be a tennis shoe. It could be an urban legend as I've never actually spotted it myself.