• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What if a bunch of superpowers cooperated with each other? (Worldbuilding or chat.)

I'll declare that discussion of this idea in the context of real life or worldbuilding are both acceptable, unless the people who run this site say otherwise.

So I was think about how the world seems to revolve around the United States, because you can see American movies in almost every country, and listen to American pop music, almost every country has a McDonald's or Coca-Cola being sold, the United States has extreme military dominance across the world, I could perhaps list many more examples.

China is also kind of a superpower, but my impression is that the United States and China could be most accurately described as friendly rivals rather than equal partners. There's not many mainland Chinese movies being shown in theatres in the United States, or across the world in general, I think many English speakers have never heard a Chinese pop song in their life, the world does not have Chinese military bases in places like Okinawa.

Anyways, those are two contrasting examples. My idea is instead of one country hogging all the power all to themselves, the world could instead be ruled by a collection of superpowers that cooperate with each other, so for example, we would see both American and Chinese movies in theatres.

What do you think of this hypothetical idea, in real life or fiction?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
We could quickly run in to politics with a small and big P...
You are only really talking about cultural issues [military aside]. Movies and pop-songs are fine but you would have to look at how manufacturing, technology, finance, resources and debt is all inter linked.
I don't think "Friendly" is a word I'd use for most international relations. Cautious tolerance would be more like it.
You could add Europe as a Superpower.
Or the places that are [kept] unstable that could be in only a few years... Africa
Anyway... The European Union might be worth looking at for what you were thinking of.
28 [soon to be 27 :(] countries that cooperate on just about everything from how labels on food looks to where planes can fly. There are a few bigger countries [France, Germany, the UK...] and a few really tiny ones [like the Baltic states or Luxembourg] and about a dozen more. All have a voice and agree [or not] on how to do things.
As for story possibilities. It would work.

Reaver

Staff
I'll declare that discussion of this idea in the context of real life or world building are both acceptable, unless the people who run this site say otherwise.

I'll allow this thread to continue so long as the discussion stays within the confines of writing fiction. Please refer to our FORUM RULES regarding the discussion of politics.

Thanks in advance for your participation and cooperation.