• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When is the best time to write?

Sparkie

Auror
I work a second-shift job (4:00 pm to 12:00 am). In keeping the required sleep schedule, I often find myself writing the bulk of my daily quota between 1:00 am and 4:00 am. I find that writing after most of the days events have passed leads to a relaxed atmosphere and businesslike attitude. On the other hand, I've also enjoyed writing in the very early mornings before I go to work and run errands.

What times do you find to write? Is there a time that lends itself to better writing? Do you do all your daily writing at once or do you break it up into different times each day?

Kelise

Maester
Everyone has different preferences, whether they write better in the early morning or late at night or whenever.

Generally my best time to write is after dinner, but like writeshiek I write whenever I can and don't see much of a change in quality or ease in general.

If I'm writing 2,000 words a day, then I get it done in one go. If I want to write 5k or more in a day, I break it up.

My best time is between 22:00 and 02:00 each night, after the kids are in bed (and usually the wife, too). I turn on some music and since nobody's bothering me, it's easy to get in a groove.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I write before bed, even if it cuts into my sleep (although not of late). If I like what I wrote, it's better than sleep. It's like waking up with a shot of adrenaline.

Nyx

Scribe
My best time to write is between 3am and 7am. I'm full of creativeness then for some reason.

Reaver

Staff
I like to write anytime/place the conditions are (for me) right. A well lit area that's quiet and free of any distractions. First thing in the morning and right before bedtime are usually my preferred times.

Shadoe

Sage
I have somehow turned out to be a morning person. I get up at 3am and write until 4 or 5am, then go to work. I get an amazing amount of writing done during breaks at work. Then, when I get home at 7pm, I try to write, but can't seem to manage it.

Empathy

Dreamer
It depends, some days I won't write at all; but other days I will just write until the following morning. I find it depends on what I've seen during the day or what has happened.

Masronyx

Minstrel
Right now, I can't remember the last time I had a full writing session (fiction). Normally, I write whenever the mood strikes me. I have no set time of the day or day of the week. I used to, but have since broken myself of that. I have been told to write at least once a day, every day. But it's okay if you get writer's block and don't touch it for a while.

I'm at the point now where I can write fiction and non-fiction. I've been doing mostly non for a large part of the year due to frustration with my fiction and college work.

Erica

Minstrel
When I write really depends on my schedule. I'm a night owl by nature, so I prefer a schedule where my evenings feel open ended and I can stay up really late if I get on a roll. I'm teaching as an adjunct at a community college, so this semester my teaching is in the afternoon/early evening, which is actually ideal for me. I get up late, take care of teaching stuff/housework/exercise before going to campus, work, come home, take care of the doggies and eat dinner-then I start writing. I have trouble getting into my creative groove if I have some undone task hanging over me. Once I get going, I hate being disturbed (won't even answer the phone if I have a choice).

It creates some tension with my husband who seems to be able to play a computer game or watch TV for an hour or so and then spend an hour or so grading papers and then maybe spend the last hour before he goes to bed doing something fun again. I can't enjoy my fun very much if I know I've got a stack of papers or chores waiting for me.