• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When should I start writing my second book?

MikePierre

Acolyte
First, let me introduce myself. I am Mickael Pierre, a pen name for a known book critic and writer from a non-english-speaking territory of the USA. I have always dreamed of writing fantasy even though English is not my native language. I published my ebook recently, it is called “The Winged Blade: Griffin.”
Now, I have been reading some insights on self publishing and the like and have stumbled upon a repeating topic: The more books you publish, the better you are going to promote yourself.
Is this true? If it is, should I start writing my second book right away or should I wait and see how sells go? Do readers consider whether the series is complete or “in the making”?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Hello Mike,

You should start promoting yourself before you book is published. Some will argue the amount of time, but I would start as soon as you write the first chapter of your book. Others will say no more than 6 months beforehand. Authors fall into this trap all the time. They think their masterpiece will sell itself, because it is a masterpiece. This is not the case.

Things I have seen work for other authors are:

1. Create a Facebook page.
  2. Get a beta reading group going.
  3. Contribute to other organizations that allow more people access to you.
  4. Write short stories for anthologies or fantasy e-zines.
  5. Create a website
  6. Go to conventions.
  7. Create a business card for those conventions (this was advice from an author at a convention).
  8. Create amazing cover art for your book.

That being said, you already published your book. I would tell you to start on your second book while trying to get your marketing going on your first. Hopefully, by the time the second book is complete, you'll have enough fans that want to buy both books.

To answer your second question, yes it does matter. A lot of authors have exasperated their audience because it takes them so long to complete a series. Just ask any reader of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire or Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. That is why the newer authors, such as Steven Erickson or Brandon Sanderson, have gained a cult following with the swift release of their series.

SeverinR

Vala
For the writing Facebook page, What kind of information would you put on it?
If you haven't been published yet?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
When I spoke with an author about a month ago, she told me that authors are the worst when it comes to self-marketing. She is a successful author that started out just like most authors do; with a dream and a great story. She told me that the first thing she did was create a Facebook page for her novel (it later became a trilogy). She asked her 40 or so friends/family like her facebook page. She then took a sentence or two, the juicy ones, and shared them. Her 40 friends became 1,500 friends by the time she finished her book.

She told me that she intended on going self-publishing but the huge interest she generated proved enough to attract a publishing company. She listed her Facebook page as a credential, noting that she built her fanbase from scratch. The publishing company loved it, and signed her up.

To answer your question specifially:

• An line or two from each chapter.
  • Any art you've created pertaining to your novel (for those gifted with the skill of visual art as well as literal).
  • Milestones. Tell the world when you've completed a chapter.
  • Musing. "Today, it occurred to me that women are alway portrayed as weak, unable to handle their own in fight. Well, I can't wait for everyone to meet XXXX."
  • Snippets of your world. "I just hammered out the culture of the XXX people. I don't mind saying so myself, but they are great!"

I'm doing that on my facebook page (link below). I add a few things that are not related to the novel because what I plan on creating isn't going to be a novel only. So anything I do that pertains to fantasy is thrown in there (like my trip to the Florida SuperCon).

The point is, keep people sticking around. Use Facebook Ads to get more people to your site (it's like 0.12 per click). I have (only) 53 fans so far, but every post that I create is spread to 12,000 unique people! I currently receive from 5 to 7 "likes" a week. I hope, by the time I finish my novel, I'll have over 1,000 "likes."

JonSnow

Troubadour
Great idea on the Facebook page... I think I might actually do that when I hit the midway point of my first book on paper.

As far as writing the second book, why wait at all? If you want to write it, write it. Don't wait for a publisher to give you the go-ahead... don't wait to see if your first book is a success. Even if NONE of it ever gets published, it is not wasted time. I have 3 books to write. The ideas have been forming in my head for 16 years or so. I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment I am going to feel when I finish the first.... let alone the second and third. Getting published will merely be icing on the cake.

Hi Mike,

It occurs to me that you should have more pull than others at promoting your book given your work. My thought would be that since you're in the business, why don't you send copies of it to the other critics, I'm sure you must know a few, and see if they'll do a review.

As for the other part. I agree with what others have said, writing more books is a great way to promote what you already have out. Each book attracts others to you as an author, and that in turn leads them to your other books. Its a synergistic effect. So yes, if you have the time and the passion I'd say start work on your next book now.

Cheers, Greg.

I'm creating a Facebook page for my book now, since it's almost done (pretty much just waiting on the art at this point). I'm finding that creating and editing a Facebook page can be a colossal pain in the arse. Every time I update the basic info, any further changes are ignored for the next 10-15 minutes even though it says "Information Updated" every time. WTF?

Helen

Inkling
First, let me introduce myself. I am Mickael Pierre, a pen name for a known book critic and writer from a non-english-speaking territory of the USA. I have always dreamed of writing fantasy even though English is not my native language. I published my ebook recently, it is called “The Winged Blade: Griffin.”
Now, I have been reading some insights on self publishing and the like and have stumbled upon a repeating topic: The more books you publish, the better you are going to promote yourself.
Is this true? If it is, should I start writing my second book right away or should I wait and see how sells go? Do readers consider whether the series is complete or “in the making”?

Promotion will influence sales - so there's your answer.

What you're trying to do is build a following. Or fundamentalist disciples. I call it the Steve Jobs Method.

You're also trying to create anticipation so when you do write your next book, people are ready to buy.

There's a whole field in marketing where you build the brand and then create the product.

Welcome to StephenKing.com has a future works section.

I have put up a blog and will be doing a facebook page as well. The blog has had 1200+ hits without even a product to buy. I also have a little trailer on youtube and will be doing a live action one, nearer the time. (I want to get the book out around October, in time from Xmas.)

SeverinR

Vala
Thanks, I had read about using Facebook, but wasn't ready to invest time into a page then.

OP:
Write when you have the inspiration, maybe book II will be the spark that ignites the fans, and book I will be a prequil.

MikePierre

Acolyte
Woa! This thread has spurred a nice bundle of information. First: I think anyone agrees by now that a Facebook page is a "must" with indie authors. Secondly, I read Mark Coker's book on marketing on Smashwords (It is free and easy to read so here is the link. Smashwords – Smashwords Book Marketing Guide — A book by Mark Coker) and he puts a lot of attention on using Twitter as a marketing tool. Now, I am no Twitter savy, but you got to build a lot of followers before you start posting. So, the question is, has anyone tried twittering their books to the world? Thirdly, I recently browsed some Book Previews for the NaNoWriMo on youtube.com. Frankly, I didn't liked them. I don't know if they are a prerequisite for the contest. If anyone can shed some light about the wonders of using youtube as an e-book marketing device, feel free to share.
Finally, I have to prepare for the Nation's (including its territories) toughest law bar exam (Only 30% passing rate). But, what the heck, I'll start creating the outline for Book II of The Winged Blade: Moonslicer! Keep writing guys, best of wishes!