1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

When to start an Author Site

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Incanus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Snikt5

Snikt5 Scribe

It is hard to strike the balance. I began a blog once I knew I was in the final stages of drafting my first novel. I wanted to document the process and looking back it was rewarding to see just how much time and effort the process was. However, I also knew I needed to maintain interest in the blog and so I posted several reviews of the books I had been reading. Four years on I had reviewed over 200 books, each review ranging from 500 to 1,000 words long.

My site had been visited over 40,000 times, but I had become known more for my reviews than my writing. It is difficult to know how many of those visitors went on to buy my books but I do know, the effort I spent on those reviews (whilst enjoyable) could have been spent on writing another book.

My advice would be to start an author site as soon as you can, but don't spend all your time and effort on it. The important thing is the book.

2. piperofyork

piperofyork Scribe

I'd wager many a platinum that this has been discussed at length in other threads, so I apologize for any redundancies here. I have plenty of academic publications from my day job, but nary a tale in print (although my first novel is, as Orwell might say, within measurable distance of its end). I understand the importance of having an author website, but without a single fiction publication to my name (yet!), is there any point in publishing an author website now? To be clear, I can see the point of working on my website now. I'm just uncertain about the usefulness/prudence/point of publishing it before I have at least one publication to mention and one forthcoming publication, or something like that. I'd love to hear any advice you have!

P.S. I can't see myself getting into blogging, at least not yet. (But who knows? Perhaps my thinking about blogging is too limited.)

3. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I’d say there is minimal value to it until you are ready to do… something. Whether that is approaching agents or readers or whatever. That said, building it early is a good plan. Blogs, I am on the side of casual blogging, meaning update whenever the hell you feel like it, because you’re better off spending that time writing. Unless, of course, you just have nothing but time. Unlike me.

4. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

Incanus, you asked the question back in 2014. Did you start your author website? How's it going?

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  5. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Damned zombies anyhow.

Ned Marcus likes this.
  6. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

They get me sometimes, too.

7. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I’ve been watch Walking Dead, I should’ve known better. heh heh

Ned Marcus likes this.