• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where and what is your "thinking place"?

I was just curious, and I wanted to know: where is your thinking place? What is it? Mine is in my room, the living room, or my trampoline. What about yours?

Insolent Lad

Maester
I need a place where I can stop thinking, sometimes. Those voices in my head follow me everywhere! :) I do get some of my better ideas when working in the yard or garden, or when out biking or hiking.

For me it's a time more than a place. Early mornings, and by early, I mean 4:30/5:00 am. I usually have time to myself (when the cat allows) until 8ish so that's the best for writing, thinking etc. It's quiet/dark and my head hasn't kicked into go-gear yet. But also, before bed, right when I'm pushing the boundary of falling into sleep, I seem to get a number of inspired ideas for scenes, world-building etc. I don't consciously do it, it just seems to come out. :)

Mad Swede

Auror
Anywhere. It was something I learnt in the army, you have to be able to sleep when you have the chance, eat when you have the chance and retreat into yourself (for a little while) when you have the chance.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I think I'm thinking most times and places. That's what I think I think, anyway. I try not to think about my story while operating a vehicle, as the fellow I run into isn't likely to be as sympathetic as I think he ought to be. But sometimes thinking cannot be helped. Of course, then there's the approach that says the best path to solving a problem is not to think about it. But I don't want to think about that.

Am I helping yet? <grin>