• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do you write?

Burst

Scribe
Where do you go to get away from all the noise and distractions? I go to my room where its quiet and I tend to write better than I do in the front room.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Typically either in my bedroom or the rec room beside it, but sometimes I'll write at the kitchen table as well.

Everywhere. Truly. Anywhere I have access to a writing implement, if an idea strikes, I will start writing and fleshing it out. I have actually typed out dialogue on my I-Phone while sitting in my car over a lunch break. :)

But my favorite place is at my PC in my basement with some nice Native American music or thunderstorm sounds going on. Anything without words is great writing music for me.

Kelise

Maester
I write anywhere, but find I write better without distractions - like my room, where my books are and my computer table is set up perfectly. At work where I have to hide it works very well, with everyone else being productive around me, though I can write just as well at home (once I stop checking every second thing online). Writing on holidays on the plane works well also.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It depends. With pen and paper, my best work occurs outside in my garden. With a laptop, on my couch after 7 when my kids go to bed.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
In class.

There's nothing like a lecture on pharmacology to make one want to edit a couple chapters. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. It tend to listen better to the lecture when my mind is somewhere else. I know, I'm an odd duck. Whatever works, right?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I usually leave the house to write. It changes up from time to time, sometimes it's the library, others it's the mall food court. Lately, it's been McDonalds with their free wifi. My laptop is my writing office. I find when I leave the house it's like going off to work, so I my mindset is focused on writing first. Home is a place to relax, so too much temptation for a nap.

It depends. With pen and paper, my best work occurs outside in my garden. With a laptop, on my couch after 7 when my kids go to bed.
Ah yes...the 7:00 bedtime. I remember those days...life was much simpler back then. :) Now with my at-home kids between 10 and 18, I'm usually going to bed before some of them and I'm a night owl as it is. :)

Saigonnus

Auror
Usually in my chair with my laptop at night once the wifey goes to bed. Occasionally I will be on the bed with it and relaxing to some music, or when I am out and about if I think of something, I will take it down in the "notes" feature on my iPod so I don't forget. :p

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Usually in my chair with my laptop at night once the wifey goes to bed. Occasionally I will be on the bed with it and relaxing to some music, or when I am out and about if I think of something, I will take it down in the "notes" feature on my iPod so I don't forget. :p

Oooo... the pre-sleep ideas. Those and the pre-wake up ideas I find tend to be the best ones.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Oooo... the pre-sleep ideas. Those and the pre-wake up ideas I find tend to be the best ones.

It's True. I don't know how many times I'll wrap up the laptop then go to bed only to find out that a floodgate of ideas opened and they are demanding attention.

Chilari

Staff
Usually in my room, because that's where my computer is, but I've written on my fiance's laptop at his house, at work (shh, don't tell my boss), when I was a student I'd write in the uni library sometimes or in the postgrad office in my department. I've written on the train a few times - it's a nearly 2 hour journey to London and I sometimes have to go there for work, to visit friends, or even just for a day out going round the British Museum (always good inspiration).

I write best at home, though.

I commute to Sydney every day from a place called the Central Coast. It's an hour on the train each way and I've been doing it for 12 years. I'd estimate about 70% of my writing is done on the train, but inspiration can hit anywhere anytime. I'm always jumping out of bed in the wee hours to jot something down (it always seems to be 2.42 when this happens), and in any social or work situation I might suddenly pause mid-sentence and say: "My god! Quick! Who's got pen and paper!

It's an unusual day when I don't come home with at least one post-it note scrawled with ideas or snatches of dialogue.

I'll scrawl down ideas in my notebook at any time, but I won't actually type them up unless I have access to a computer. This typically means my home computer, but I'm willing to work with any computer available to me, so long as it has a QWERTY keyboard and reasonably large keys.

Well, I'll be writing in my room. It's about the most quiet place I can write in, and with my music on and my concentration problem (not necessarily a bad one, It's just that I almost don't get distracted when I'm really concentrated) I'm sure I'll be able to write just fine. :)

The Din

Troubadour
At the lake with a bag full of beer and a bunch of girls to perv on. The Whistler lifestyle is a hard one... I seem to get some of my best writing done surrounded by people, rather that alone. (What could you write about if you spent the entire time locked in a basement/bedroom?) If I lived in a major city I'd probably be one of those douche bags writing in the local cafe/starbucks.

In winter though, it's gotta be next to the fire with a big cup of coffee and some meaningless action movie on in the background.

A friend of mine (and quite a successful writer) loves writing in crowded shopping malls. He says such places are full of energy and he feels the energy being transmitted into his work.

I have to say that on the few occasions I've been moved to write in a mall it has definitely worked well...but was I writing in a mall because that's where I was when the muse took me, or did the muse take me because I was writing in a mall?

This is one of the great imponderables of our times?

Ghost

Inkling
I love writing in places where others are busy, so a classroom with a droning professor or a crowded mall is right up my alley. When I'm really in it, all the hubbub melts into the background like white noise. Right now, I can't go to those places, but a couple of little parks and the desert are both within walking distance. I've considered writing in those places because they're soothing in a different way because I can feel the breeze and listen to the leaves. I need to get up before the day is too hot, though, and there aren't too many any tables in the desert.

I usually write in the family room on a shared computer. I thought it wouldn't work out, but since it's not my computer and I don't have access to the content it's less distracting. Focusing on the perfect writing spot is just another way for me to procrastinate.

Last edited:
My favorite place to write is outdoors. Be it sitting on the deck or at the park. Sometimes I just sit by an open window or if the weather is rainy, I put on my outdoor ambient sounds and write.

Even when I don't have my iPad or a notebook with me, I can write in my head. I can see the words as if I were actually typing them. However, I don't suggest during that while driving.