• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where does writing fit into your life?

What is the role of writing in your lige?

• It's my hobby.

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • It's a part-time job.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • It's my full-time job.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's my vocation, and I do it to answer the calling.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • It's my vocation, and I am, or am hoping to, monetize it.

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
So I'm curious about the role writing takes on in your life as individuals and the overall makeup of the Mythic Scribes community through the lens of this question.

Is writing your hobby? You Part-time job? Your Full-time job? Do you consider it a vocation? If it's a vocation are you trying to make money from it? Or do you do it just for the personal enjoyment?

As a follow-up question that can be answered in replies to this thread - are you hoping to change the status of writing in your life from what you answered in the poll to something different in the future? And if so, what?

To the mods: I wasn't sure if this properly belonged in Writing Questions or Chit-Chat. Apologies if I got it wrong.

JSDR

Scribe
It's a compulsion. I *have* to write like a shark needs to swim.

That's an option I didn't see.

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
It's a compulsion. I *have* to write like a shark needs to swim.

That's an option I didn't see.

Personally, if it's a compulsion for you I'd say that qualifies as a vocation. Also, apologies to everyone for the poorly worded last choice. My grammar got away from me there a bit. It was intended to say more clearly that it is a vocation that you are either making money doing currently, or hoping to make money with in the future. Whereas the fourth response is to signify that it is a vocation or calling for you and money is not a concern.

For myself I picked part-time job. I have made a grand total of $70 so far based on one semi-pro rate sale, so it's a very poor part-time job at this point, but that's how I choose to think of it. With dreams of making a living at it someday.

Mythopoet

Auror
Right now, I can only justify answering "It's my hobby". But I'm hoping to increase my writing efforts to the point where I can say "It's my secondary vocation and I am, or am hoping to, monetize it". Secondary because I'll always be a wife/mother first and foremost. I love writing and storytelling, but I never want them to come before my family.

Hobby, definitely. If it were a job, I'd have to care what's marketable. (Or, for that matter, who's marketable--I don't write as many dark-skinned women as Jabrosky, but a lot of my stories still risk being pigeonholed as "ethnic.")

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Is writing your hobby? You Part-time job? Your Full-time job?
I'm far too obsessive & goal oriented to consider writing a hobby. Although it's hard work, I don't know if I would go so far as to call writing a job yet either. I still enjoy it & I've not yet made any real income. Therefore, at present, it's difficult to classify. I'd call it an artistic pursuit with aspirations.

Do you consider it a vocation?
Certainly. Although it's a vocation I aspire to & work towards daily.

If it's a vocation are you trying to make money from it? Or do you do it just for the personal enjoyment?
Both. Since I would hope to eventually write full time, I have to be able to make income from my work. However, if it was only about some dream of money...well there are much better & more reliable ways to achieve wealth. For most, writing will never generate good income levels. Personal enjoyment is a strong motivator. Just enjoying writing, the creation of art from nothing, is a huge part of the attraction.

Are you hoping to change the status of writing in your life from what you answered in the poll to something different in the future?
Absolutely... Well, I couldn't answer the poll accurately as I don't feel any of the choices are representative. I'd hope to be successful enough to write professionally, with little need for other employment.

Last edited:
Could it be an invocation by the gods of art and writing? But seriously, I have a day job for pay, I have a writing job for less pay. Were I to choose a lifetime vocation it would be writing but even if it payed all the bills my family and I would still need insurance. Writing is hard work but a desire that I can't ignore.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh, writing is definitely the monkey on my back, but it's a monkey that I hope will support us some day. I am a writer first and foremost, always have been. Thank goodness I married another writer! She is my writing partner and encourages my madness every step of the way. I honestly think I could not survive without my stories and my characters. To tell the truth, I wonder how people who aren't writers get along. Being alone in one's head without characters whispering their stories to you must be a lonely existence, indeed.

C

Chessie

I am going to go with obsession, maybe some day it will be full-time job.

Ha ha the same for me. I'm fortunate to have a schedule which allows me to play with my ideas/write almost daily. I try to work on something for my WIP (which I haven't started writing yet) most of the week then take a day or two off to give my mind rest, returning to my work refreshed. Creating daily time for my project has allowed a great burst of ideas, when I used to think they would just come out of the blue. :rolleyes:

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I opted to read "writing" in a more general sense of "storytelling" and then could vote "vocation."

If I thought I could (anyone could) decent income from just writing... I think I'd go that route. But as many here said before, making an income is more reliable in other ways... and I am in the lucky position that I can do some things well, that also pay well.

I do think though, that one can be a professional writer/storyteller w/o it being one's sole income.

Addison

Auror
It's always a good idea to have something to fall back on, whether you're a grown adult or still in high school. If you didn't get the summer job as star bucks or some place you can fall back on babysitting or yard work. Writing is, for me at least, a way to relax and de-stress at the end of the day.

One thing that helps, no matter how writing fits into your day, is to read. Lots.

ecdavis

Troubadour
Well, I answered hobby, because that is how I intended it to be, but now it has become sort of responsibility as I have several fans who want to read more. I have several people telling me to try to publish my stuff but I doubt I will, so my status will probably stay the same.