• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where to find in-depth knowledge about the Vikings and medieval Sweden?

cibir

Acolyte
When I google it, I only get children's websites with maps where the Vikings settled. I need to know more about daily life, etc. Any good resources that I haven't yet been able to find?

Also, I love this smiley and this is my first chance to use it: :confused:

Jessquoi

Troubadour
Sometimes it's hard to find really specific data on subjects on the internet. People who have researched them (say for example a PhD graduate) write books or essays on that topic but the rights are signed to them and so it isn't released on the internet. You might want to have a go at actually buying a historical book on Vikings. This was the first one I found which is just an example of how a book can have what you want when the internet doesn't.

The World's Greatest Civilizations: The History and Culture of the Vikings: Charles River Editors: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Devora

Sage
Sometimes it's hard to find really specific data on subjects on the internet. People who have researched them (say for example a PhD graduate) write books or essays on that topic but the rights are signed to them and so it isn't released on the internet. You might want to have a go at actually buying a historical book on Vikings. This was the first one I found which is just an example of how a book can have what you want when the internet doesn't.

The World's Greatest Civilizations: The History and Culture of the Vikings: Charles River Editors: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

There's also libraries, if one doesn't have the means to buy multiple volumes on a subject matter.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There's a great book called Exploring the World of the Vikings, published by Richard Hall, that has 100% glossy pages showing you their artifacts and archaeological diagrams, as well as lots of details and analysis of their lifestyle. I've only been able to find it at the library. Definitely the best of the many that I looked at.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

That seems to be the paperback version of it. I have the library edition (still on renewal, even if I haven't looked at it much since I put that story aside). I can see at least a few differences - this picture in color not black and white, and so on - so I'm not sure how close they are. I don't remember seeing the paperback when I looked before, but that was a while ago.

((edit))

I just noticed that there's a hardcover listed there, and it's not the same. I remember flipping through "The World of the Vikings" at Barnes and Noble and being disappointed with it.

((edit))

The other book that was really helpful is this one, mostly for the artistic reconstructions in the middle, like the diagram of their ship.

Last edited:

Shockley

Maester
I can not recommend the Viking Answer Lady enough. One of the finest scholars on the material ever.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a private message - this is an area where I am particularly knowledgeable.

Fargoer

Dreamer
One more vote to the Viking Answer Lady, immensely helpful and detailed in many subject matters.

I've found historical fiction to be very helpful as well. For example Frans G. Bengtsson's "The Long Ships". I haven't read the English translation but it tells a tale of a Viking warrior from the southern Sweden. The style is quite peculiar, but if you can manage it the information it contains is extremely good.

Another one, even if not set in Sweden, I could suggest is The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. I have read only the first book but it has been very informative. It is set in Viking Age Britain, during the 800's when the Saxons fought against the Danes for the control of the island.

Vikings tv-series started just recently. For what I have seen (just one episode) it looks exciting enough for a source material as well.

Petteri

Shockley

Maester
I'm coming back in to second Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles. I've read every book in the series, and they're wonderful and fairly accurate.