• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which of these is better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Maximum7

Dreamer
I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me?

Infinite Improbability Drive.

Otherwise, just pick something with a fancy name and run with it without explaining how it works. Superfluid Vacuum Drive sounds interesting enough. Another option is something like a Quantum Vacuum Field drive (dig into the difference between the false vacuum of space and a true vacuum and Quantum vacuum state - Wikipedia)

Eduardo Ficaria

Troubadour
You could go for the classic (and scientifically realistic) warp drive, but with a different name. The warp drive has a problem which is that it builds up an energy concentration at the front of the warp field. Then, when the ship stops, that energy keeps travelling forward at whatever FTL speed, effectively becoming a really deadly and devastating weapon! That waiting time you mention in your setting, Maximum7 , could be the time needed to "cooldown" the field (by absorbing or dissipating the energy built up at the front). And the time could vary depending on the amount of energy accumulated, giving you more room to play with the circumstances around that kind of FTL travel in your story.

I kind of think a combination of the two possible solutions is the best think of it like this for a second. A warp drive is already a ftl drive each increment increase is that many times speed of light.

But a worm hole is folding time and space in on it's self creating a fixed point.

So why not add the two into one and have a worm drive that also allows warp travel. The worm hole is for really long traveling let's say from Earth's orbit to Pluto's orbit. However if they only need to travel from let's say Mercury to Mars or quick escape's they can use warp speed for quick bursts with less drain and recharge if being constantly pursued.

Mist Dragon

Dreamer
What if worm holes were destructive to the space around it? So, using one inside a galaxy would permanently scar the space on each end causing long term gravity waves that could destroy many solar systems and possibly cause a ripple effect across the galaxy, but out in the void between galaxies, there are no large masses that have gravity to react to it and ends up being safe, and since no one yet has been through a wormhole, who knows how long it actually takes to traverse it? :sneaky:

Maybe the ship has to travel a month or so by normal drives to get far enough out to use it?

Lots of possibilities.