• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which resources would you recommend for storytelling?

fantastic

Minstrel
So, most of the time when someone mentions story structure, most people mention books about story structure.

These tend to be about the general ideas, such as hero's journey and other views that split the story in a few different parts and explain why they are necessary. These are usually very good for learning the basic ideas about stories. But I think that some parts are not very useful.

Other type of books mentioned are books that are much more specific and tell you how many characters should be in your book, whether the antagonist should be someone with different ideals than protagonist , in order to compare their idealism and have that as the theme of the story. I assume these books are helpful for some people but I am not sure that all stories have to be like that.

So, I wonder if there are any books that are specific but they don't tell you what you have to do and give you many good advices about stories.

Also, are there any books that tell you about things you need to keep in mind when writing world building? Not a guide to the world building but a book that covers many aspects like what you need to keep in mind and things that you may not have even thought of.

oenanthe

Minstrel
well, the first thing that came to mind is a series of three blog posts Elizabeth Bear put up the other day:

Pt 1: the sun in your eyes made some of the lies worth believing - throw another bear in the canoe
Pt 2: i don't need to see any more to know - throw another bear in the canoe
Pt 2: don't cry, 'cause i ain't changing my mind - throw another bear in the canoe

The thing about all those books about story structure is they're really only talking about straight up 3 act, protagonist on a quest stories. Bear here talks about over a dozen different ways to structure a story, and that might be helpful.

Another resource that might be close to what you're talking about is the Breakout Novelist stuff by Donald Maass, and even if it isn't, it's straight up good advice.

for world building, there's Patricia C. Wrede's list: Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions - SFWA
also, N.K. Jemisin: http://nkjemisin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/WDWebinar.pdf

(Worldbuilding ritually makes me itch, so I don't do it.)

fantastic

Minstrel
well, the first thing that came to mind is a series of three blog posts Elizabeth Bear put up the other day:

Pt 1: the sun in your eyes made some of the lies worth believing - throw another bear in the canoe
Pt 2: i don't need to see any more to know - throw another bear in the canoe
Pt 2: don't cry, 'cause i ain't changing my mind - throw another bear in the canoe

The thing about all those books about story structure is they're really only talking about straight up 3 act, protagonist on a quest stories. Bear here talks about over a dozen different ways to structure a story, and that might be helpful.

Another resource that might be close to what you're talking about is the Breakout Novelist stuff by Donald Maass, and even if it isn't, it's straight up good advice.

for world building, there's Patricia C. Wrede's list: Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions - SFWA
also, N.K. Jemisin: http://nkjemisin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/WDWebinar.pdf

(Worldbuilding ritually makes me itch, so I don't do it.)

Thank you. These links seem very interesting. Especially the questions mention some things you might not really consider.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I would say read lots of stories by different authors. Work out why you like some stories and authors and not others...

Hey there! I won’t be kidding when I am saying that telling a good story is one of the toughest jobs there is out there. And there is no one sure-shot way to achieve success in it. The only way to become a good storyteller is to read a lot and to be brave enough to get inspired by people rather than having an ego for originality. There is nothing original in these times and people or your audiences love it when a good story is being retold. For resources, I would recommend books, and sites that will help you practice, like contentmart.com

Russ

Istar
So, I wonder if there are any books that are specific but they don't tell you what you have to do and give you many good advices about stories.

I think Story Trumps Structure is a very good book on writing that probably hits the sweet spot you are looking for.

neodoering

Minstrel
I think Story Trumps Structure is a very good book on writing that probably hits the sweet spot you are looking for.
On your recommendation I bought this book and read it. The author is a bit of an extremist (such as: every word of your story should escalate tension), but he has some valid points about how to build a story and when to break the rules. I'd recommend it.

Russ

Istar
On your recommendation I bought this book and read it. The author is a bit of an extremist (such as: every word of your story should escalate tension), but he has some valid points about how to build a story and when to break the rules. I'd recommend it.

Glad you found it helpful.