• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

White Mage

Queshire

Istar
So, one of my character's is a psychopathic white mage. Her magic's limited to healing, buffs, curing status ailments, and creating barriers, and she will KICK YOUR ASS with them. I'm thinking of a Mad Doctor type archetype but with white magic instead of medicene.

Actually, all that was just bragging about my character, my main question is what to call her? I don't like the term white mage, that's a blatant ripoff of final fantasy, but my only other options seem to be some variation of priest or cleric, however, she's NOT a priest or cleric, if she ever actually met a god, she'd probably try to eat them. So what should I call her?

So far, I'm thinking of something like Life Mage, or Biomancer, but that gives the ideal of making magically created monsters. A very different feel then I want for her, and is already the Elve's hat.

So, any ideas?

(btw, her BFF is a bubbly, pacifistic, love-freak necromancer)

Drakhov

Minstrel
I don't know, i think Biomancer would be a great name for a practitioner of healing magic, i'd prefer that to Life Mage.

The -mancer part I like - you could try variations on that - Physiomancer, Vitamancer (hmm, maybe not Vitamancer)

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
Why not vitamancer? I think I liked that best of your suggestions.

EDIT: How about Vitaurge / Vitaurgy?

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
'Healer'...of the renegade persuasion. (assuming that there are other mages with those abilities who are not psycopaths)

There is also the ever so popular 'witch'.

Queshire

Istar
mrr... witch is generally considered to dark, and healer doesn't sound... magical enough, plus she's not limited to just healing, also having buffs, status heals, and barriers.

Thanks for the ideas though, I really appreciate the help.

EDIT: Hm... maybe something with the latin word for white(album)? Albumor? Yeah, that sounds pretty fantasy-ish.

Last edited:

Drakhov

Minstrel
mrr... witch is generally considered to dark, and healer doesn't sound... magical enough, plus she's not limited to just healing, also having buffs, status heals, and barriers.

Thanks for the ideas though, I really appreciate the help.

EDIT: Hm... maybe something with the latin word for white(album)? Albumor? Yeah, that sounds pretty fantasy-ish.

The latin for healer is vigoratus, and another latin translation for white is niveus

healing magician could become vigomagus, albumagus or using -mancer as we discussed earlier could be vigomancer, niveomancer, albumancer, etc

Well, is she the only crazy one? if she was the only ass kicking one, and the rest used their powers peacfully, then she would be a renegade __________. But if her gifts were compleatly unique, then she wouldnt really have a name to begin with, cause no one would see her coming.

Queshire

Istar
Well, first off magic is ridiculously common in my world, it's as common as technology is in our world. This character has a rare condition that causes magic to build up in her body, the pressure builds and builds, causing her great pain until it reaches a breaking point and is released in a random magical effect. To relieve that pressure, she has to cast spells.

There's many different types of magic, kind of like how there are many different types of martial arts. The type of magic she uses is pretty common, and well known as a peaceful, nondestructive style. She was taught it at first simply as a way to relieve the magical pressure, sort of like Tai Chi. She's not allowed to learn the more destructive styles of magic, because, well, she's psycho, but she's ok with that, seeing the look on the other guys faces as she beats them up using a so called "nondestructive" magic style is soooooo worth it.

Ah, by the way, if you've read the Neon Genisis Evangalon fanfic "Nobody Dies" she's partially inspired by the depiction of Rei in that story.