• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who are the best Warriors

So, who are the badest of the bad in terms of fantasy warriors? These are among my favorite characters in all of fantasy lit...no need for magic or tricks, just a sharp sword or axe, some muscle, and fearlessness. What do you think...certain characters, races, societies?

Check out my writing exercise thread I just posted on the Challenges board and get involved there. You'll see some of my favorites: Conan, Druss, Caramon, etc.

In terms of races/cultures:

The Plainsmen in Dragonlance
The Dothraki in Game of Thrones

Ravana

Istar
Kane, from Karl Edward Wagner's series. Probably at least a few incarnations of Moorcock's "Eternal Champion." Aragorn, of course, and the Rangers in general.

Xanados

Maester
By the Gods! Really, guys?!

*Sigh*

CHAOS WARRIORS.
Engra_Deathsword_Concept.jpg

Shadoe

Sage
I like Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files. Or Rachel Morgan from the Hallows series. Neither are particularly strong physically, but they just keep going and going and eventually they win.

Allyssianne

Dreamer
I would say the Dark Hunters from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. They're a little clichéd, being immortal badboys executing things that prey on humans, but they're also quite interesting. Given immortality by the goddess Artemis, the Dark Hunters are humans who were already fierce warriors during their human lives, but died, normally by brutal betrayal. Lots of Greeks, Romans, Amazons, etc... Some of them are granted powers, but most tend to use weapons. Another thing I like is that there are pretty much equal amounts of male and female Dark Hunters.

Dragonie

Scribe
Thirding Harry Dresden! I like that he's not an invincible behemoth (or, he wasn't in the last book I read in the series) but instead he's got lots of tenacity and cleverness.