1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Why I Write Fantasy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneL, Apr 4, 2014.

1. AnneL

AnneL Closed Account

I just wrote up a blog post on why I write fantasy and kind of surprised myself with the answer once I got to digging down into it -- turns out that there's a real philosophical underpinning to it regarding it being a space that opens up wonder and potential.

Here's the post, if anyone wants to read.

Why I Write Fantasy » Anne Leonard - Author

Thanks....

Philip Overby, Jabrosky and Svrtnsse like this.
  2. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Nice article Anne. I agree with your personal conclusions. They mirror my own.

AnneL likes this.
  3. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Well put. I think for me it comes down to the "what if?" and that's probably what I'd had answered if someone had asked me about it. I like how you pull it out and go on to the wonder of discovery though - it adds a bit more depth/meaning to just asking "what if?"

AnneL likes this.
  4. KC Trae Becker

KC Trae Becker Troubadour

I love your description of fantasy being a "thought experiment."

When I create my fantasy world, hopefully there will be more than one someday, I experiment with the "what if" and "wonder" what it would be like. Then I can tell a story illustrating a point that is easier to demonstrate in this new world with different limitations.

For me, fantasy is not escapism, it's a beautifully conceived and written deep extended analogy that begs us to explore it further, so we can learn more about this world and ourselves.