• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why would overclocking the Human body actually Weaken my Abilities?

Erebus

Troubadour
My name is Dio Brando, the embodiment of masculinity and the manliest man to have ever manned. As the epitome of physical male perfection, I am stronger, faster, sexier, intelligenter, and frankly just better than you in every possible way you can imagine. I became this way through my mastery of Hamon, the life energy that flows through the human body. Being able to access Hamon allows the individual to overclock their body and increase performance, similar to overclocking a computer's CPU and memory.

Hamon can be used in 3 ways:

1. Multiply the body's physical strength by double, triple, or quadruple times.
  2. Increase the body's speed, acceleration, and reaction time.
  3. Harden the magnetic field surrounding the body to create a defensive barrier. It allows for light protection from concussive force

A person can sustain one of these modes for as long as they are able. An experienced practitioner will be able to last for 2 - 3 minutes, while a master like myself can go for 5 minutes at a time. After the time limit, a period of cool down occurs until it can be used again. The more it is used, the more "debt" the person owes, extending the cool down period.
Being a superior alpha male myself, I have decided to use all 3 of these modes at once. Logically, doing this would increase and push my abilities to the maximum, while forcing me to endure a long cool down period before reuse. However, I have discovered that doing this actually makes my abilities weaker overall, and has caused significant damage to my own body. Why would this be the case?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Is this a serious question?

Perhaps the answer is along the lines of yes, you can push it too far. Seems like what you are attempting is lacking any sort of balance, and something has got to give.

While I am not familiar with Hamon, I can attest that too much and the body does get weaker and not stronger over time. When I was in the army, on the day I went to basic training I could 3 pull ups (Woo hoo), but everyday we were required to go to the pull up bar and do 10. If you could not do 10, someone was to help you. Over time, you would expect I would get stronger, but the opposite happened, With no rest, I went from 3 to 2 to 1 in short period of time. At the end, I could do 3 or 4, but never 10. That's cuase the army worked the crap out of you. But...when it came to front leaning rest position, I could do that for hours ;)

Vaporo

Inkling
Just so you know, in case your story ever has to be translated to Spanish: jamón (pronounced "Hamon") is Spanish for "ham."

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>Hamon allows the individual to overclock their body and increase performance, similar to overclocking a computer's CPU and memory.

I'd have to say no to the question because of this. One cannot overclock the human body. Increasing performance by definition does not overclock but stays within parameters. Exceeding the parameters results in injury, which then requires a recovery period to return to within limits.

I'm curious as to the nature of the story in which this scenario occurs.

Gray-Hand

Minstrel
The increased strength going through the muscles and tendons in the body and the extra force caused by the quicker movements might put a lot of strain and wear on stuff like bones, cartilage and certain organs.

Over time, the wear and tear on the body caused by the use of Hamon might prevent the Hamon from flowing as effectively. Alternatively, the Hamon might redirect itself to healing or compensating for the parts of the body that are breaking down, thereby leaving less Hamon for the superhuman powers.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So. I did a quick google search on this and i could barely find anything on it. All i could find was cartoon characters who claimed this. I doubt any of this is real. However, if you are a practitioner why not go find another master and ask them. I don't think many have heard of this.

Futhark

Inkling
I agree with Gray-Hand. Check out Rock Lee in Naruto when he opens his inner gates and essentially overclocks his body.

Ep.48 Gaara vs. Rock Lee: The Power of Youth Explodes!

Last edited:

Kalessin

Dreamer
Look at the effects of adrenaline. Isn't that precisely a form of overclocking? Our muscles have way more potential than our bodies give us access to in normal circumstances, but it requires us to genuinely fear for our lives or the lives of others. The classic example is mothers who lift cars to save their children. Edit: We actually use adrenaline all the time, but I'm referring to the kind of output during life-or-death situations.

In real life we don't have direct cognitive access to this power, likely because anyone who had such control would abuse it. It's about physical sustainability.

Using drugs that uncap our serotonin and dopamine use could be seen as another form of overclocking, but for happiness and motivation. Eventually you fry the circuits so to speak.

Last edited: