• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Wishlists

Nimue

Auror
The threads recently about good/popular writing made me think about wish fulfillment, which I think, despite its bad rap, is key to leaving the reader satisfied and invested. Everybody's familiar with the really broad audience wishes--power, popularity, uniqueness and importance, an ideal romance. But what are those things that you specifically like to read about, and how do they inform what you write?

For me, I realized there was a lot of overlap between the things that will make me keep reading a book, and the things I like to write about: A feminist or lady-inclusive vibe, atmospheric magic, lush descriptive prose, smart and compassionate romance, and a capable, non-teenage protagonist (I've made some exceptions on that, particularly if said teenager grows up during the book.). There are even some specific plot elements that I like: secrecy and hidden identities, sacrifice, and overcoming injury or personal suffering. Oh, and let's not forget a roaring magical climax, that's important.

This is, of course, keeping basic things like good prose or characterization or pacing out of the equation, and it's simply meant to be personal, not prescriptive. I'm curious to know what you guys' specific positive triggers are! Do any of you like to read things you wouldn't want to write, or vice versa?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Oh! Fun post!

Poetic prose (Patrick rothfuss style)

Mystery and treasure hunts (smart ones, like national treasure but in fantasy form)

Definitely female characters that are not there purely for romance/wish fulfillment purposes. But also not the traditional bad ass wishes she was a boy either.

Internal conflict equal to the external conflict.

Multiple ages in characters. I hate a cast of all gorgeous teenagers, or all amazing adults where each one is more beautiful and powerful than the next. I like variety in a cast.

I don't care too much for hard magical elements. I like the subtlety of soft fantasy where it is the choices of the characters that matters, not how powerful they are.

A tragic romance where both people have conflicting goals and paths.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I like well developed and believable settings I can get immersed in. I enjoy characters that I can get to know over the course of multiple books and that I can see grow and evolve.

For me, reading is a lot about escapism, and about visiting different worlds or dreaming about the ways things could be.

I like happy endings and I don't mind if a story is a little bit cheesy or a little bit cliche, as long as it's fun and makes sense.

Nimue

Auror
I like happy endings and I don't mind if a story is a little bit cheesy or a little bit cliche, as long as it's fun and makes sense.
Happy endings! Okay, that's a definite requirement of mine. I honestly don't care if it's meant to be thought-provoking or suspenseful, if it has a downer or incomplete ending I am kind of disappointed that I read it. Some have argued that fiction is the only place to get true happy endings, and I dang well want mine. ^^