• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Word Count?

Fyri

Inkling
Anyone got advice on the word count of a first novel? So far I feel like mine might be too long. I've heard genres in fiction tend to vary when it comes to acceptable debut novel word count, and fantasy can range from ~80,000 - 130,000 words. I want to be certain, and if thats true, could I get an explanation on why? Could it be that fantasy novels just need more words to develop their world, magic, etc?
Please and thank you!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
A novel really should be as long as it needs to be to tell the story. My advice to you is to use the showcase and crit sites like Scribophile to make sure that your story is as tight as it needs to be before you publish it. Once you figure out what really needs to be included, the length doesn't matter.

All that being said, I think that 100-120k words is a great range for an epic fantasy, and it is generally considered that fantasy novels do need more words than other genres.

Chilari

Staff
Write it however long it needs to be. You can consider requirements for publication once you've got it down on paper (figuratively). There's no point worrying about length yet when you don't know you'll still like it when you're done, you don't how long it'll even be when you're done, and you've not come close to starting editing. If it needs to be shorter, you can edit it down, or split it up, later on. But focus on telling the story for now.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'll just chime in with the above; there are more important things to worry about.

I also think that as long as the reading satisfies the reader it doesn't matter terribly much how long the story is. What you don't want to do is drag things out for the sake of dragging it out. If the reader starts to feel like the final battle is drawing near and then the story somehow doesn't get around for it, then that's something that's going to annoy the reader.

From what I've heard word count is less of a concern with digital publishing. When printing, a book of length X will span Y pages. This results in a book Z inches thick. For a fantasy reader looking for a good reading experience in a new and interesting world they'll want a big chunk of a book, something to really dig into. Buying a thick book will be more appealing than a thin one.
With e-books that just doesn't matter. Your kindle won't get any heavier no matter how many words the books in it add up to.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Another vote for don't worry about it. Write the story first, get it critiqued, edit it to make it as tight as possible - then, if you plan to submit to traditional publishers or agents, you can begin to think about length. If you self-publish, it really doesn't matter at all.

How Long Should a Book Be? -- Word Count For Books Explained | WritersDigest.com

Science fiction and fantasy are the big exceptions because these categories tend to run long. It has to do with all the descriptions and world-building in the writing.

With these genres, I would say 100,000 – 115,000 is an excellent range. It’s six-figures long, but not real long. The thing is: Writers tend to know that these categories run long so they make them run really long and hurt their chances. There’s nothing wrong with keeping it short (say, 105K) in these areas. It shows that you can whittle your work down.

Outside of that, I would say 90K-100K is most likely all right, and 115-124K is probably all right, too. That said, try to keep it in the ideal range.

(Of course, there are places to publish at almost every length if you look hard enough. The one big gap is between 10K and 20K--that usually means self-publishing.)

Fyri

Inkling
Thanks for replying everyone! Sorry, I was in a Science class.
Okay. I really like to see the don't worry about it. Haha, I wonder why.
So, here's my issue. I'm rewriting this novel for the third time and I'm 24% through it and already have about 128 pages(word count ÷ 250). If my math is correct, I will be finishing it with about 534 pages (135,000 words). And this is supposed to be the first book out of four in the series. I really have a hope to see my books on a tangible book shelf, and I can see this might present a few problems.
I suppose I should just finish writing it as is and then try to trim down the content to an ideal word count without starving the story of needed instances. Try being the key word. :)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Rhizanthella,

I really hope you're not writing in a vacuum. It's hard to emphasize how helpful it is to get feedback from other writers.

Fyri

Inkling
What do you mean? I have other people reading my works... I belive feedback is amazingly important and the more people I can get, the more opinions I see. At the same time though, I don't want to put myself at too much risk by having twenty beta readers that do what they like with my works.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Rhizanthella,

A lot of debut authors write their books without getting any feedback from other authors or editors or anyone knowledgeable about writing fiction. These authors tend to self publish books before their craft is ready. Just wanted to make sure that you weren't one of those.

This comment did concern me, though:

At the same time though, I don't want to put myself at too much risk by having twenty beta readers that do what they like with my works.

The work is yours. No matter who tells you*, "You absolutely must change this character's name from Joe to John," it's your choice. You should always carefully consider the advice of someone who has given freely of their time in trying to help you, but that's where your obligation ends. The story and writing have to be yours.

The more eyes you can get on your work, the better, imo.

*With the obvious exception of me. All my advice is solid gold that should be followed absolutely with no question.

Fyri

Inkling
Oh! Hahaha! No, by "do what they want" I mean, steal ideas and characters or the story altogether. This fear might stem from Stephanie Meyer when she was writing a novel from Edward's POV and one of her beta readers put it online or something and ruined the chance of her publishing it. No worries about the editing process. I love getting feedback from them! Not /all/ my ideas are good and not /all/ theirs are. I hope that I can reach a happy medium.

And Yes. I agree. Your advice is probably solid gold. ;)

Hi,

I'd agree with the others - word count is one of the last things you should be concerning yourself with. Just write the book and let the words fall where they may.

Having said that there are a couple of places where the count will be important. The first is if you submit to an agent. They will want to see something within their expected range. So for most books that'll be something like 60 to 80k, for epic fantasy 100k to 140k. That's all to do with their perceptions of saleability and the printing process.

Now for printing, and here I'm talking from my experience with Createspace. There are physical limits to how big a book can be. Using a six by nine format, fourteen point font, I've squeezed out one 250k novel. But at that it's damned near a telephone book and I don't know that it could become any larger. Also, not to be forgotten, the more pages a book is the dearer the printing process will be - which means the sale price of the book goes up. To give examples again from CS, my shortest book is 47k squeaking in between a novel and a novella. I can retail that for about six bucks. My longest is 250k, and its minimum retail price is about 24 bucks.

There are also the expectations of your readers. These are trickier to guess. But in general they want a good read. Short stories and novellas don't sell as well as novels. And if they're fantasy readers, they will expect a longer novel.

But as I say these aren't things to worry about while writing. You write what you need to write to tell the story.

Cheers, Greg.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Out of curiosity, is there any good rule of thumb for converting word count to book thickness? Like, if a book is 120,000 words it will be 1 inch thick, for a standard size (I'm assuming that's 6x9?).

Fyri

Inkling
Thank You all! Words of encouragement are so useful! As for the book thickness rule, I only know how to determine pages per word count.

Hi,

No, sorry Svrtnsse. Word count per page will vary wildly depending on font, font size, formatting, books size, margins trim etc. As a general rule I use a six by nine book simply because its one of the standard sizes, however, the books are larger than trade published paperbacks which are I think eight by five and a quarter. I use a two centimetre margin with two and a half on the gutter on a thick book, Times New Roman font, twleve points, and block formatting (i.e. gaps between paragraphs - to which I then add indents as well). I do it because it looks both good to my eyes and is easy to read. And a simple calculation using that of 250k words and 750 pages will tell you I get 330 words per page. But I could get more if I were to decrease the font size and knock my formating back to the more standard indent only.

However, CreateSpace has a formula for converting page numbers to book thickness, something you have to use to measure up for covers. I can't remember how exactly it works but my 750 page monster is about two and a quarter inches thick. If you go to the CS community you'll no doubt be able to find it.

Cheers, Greg.

Last edited:
Hi,

Actually I just found it:

White paper: multiply page count by 0.002252
Thus, if your book si 750 pages x 0.002252 = 1.689

However I don't thick this is the complete story since my book is thicker than that. Maybe I used different paper. I thought it was just plain white. And also the book is slightly thicker than the internal spine width which is what this calculates.

Cheers, Greg.

I don't think the number of words is important. Readers will stay if it is good. Publishers might be more specific about what they want to buy.

If you need to trim down, find ways to make each scene do more, like multitasking.

Butterfly

Auror
Word count is only important when it comes to selling and printing your book.

Out of curiosity I've looked at a few submission guidelines from a couple of publishers. I found this at Tor.uk.

SUBMITTING A NOVEL TO TOR UK « Tor Books Tor Books are looking for works between 95,000 and 150,000 words and anything outside those numbers will not be considered. Read the responses and comments at the bottom of it to see what Tor says about it.

I take it that each publishing house will have its own preference on word count. But at least for Tor, your 135,000 word novel is well within the range of what they are looking for.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
No, by "do what they want" I mean, steal ideas and characters or the story altogether. This fear might stem from Stephanie Meyer when she was writing a novel from Edward's POV and one of her beta readers put it online or something and ruined the chance of her publishing it.

Rhizanthella,

2 quick points:

1. I hear this concern from newb authors a lot. The general consensus is that your ideas and characters and story aren't really worth anything to anyone besides you. Personally, I have more story ideas than I will ever have time to write. If you want some of them, just ask.

2. It's not that Stephenie Meyer now can't publish Midnight Sun; it's that she felt so betrayed by her beta reader posting a rough draft for everyone to read that she lost interest in the project. That's a shame, too, because that book, imo, is far superior to Twilight.

ndmellen

Minstrel
This is actually a big concern for me, as well...The final draft of my manuscript is massive, topping out at 240k. I know that this is far too long for a first time author, but I can't see how to make it smaller. There is no fat to trim, and no place that I can change the story arcs to make it two books that both have a satisfactory ending....Everything leads up to the last twenty pages. Should I even bother trying to go the traditional route, knowing that it is too big?