• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

World building advice!

Iapetus777

Scribe
So I have been struggling with some worldbuilding recently. I have been rather indecisive on how realistic I should make an alien world. I have established that is heckling cold there, and beyond that, I don't know how realistic I should make it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I write as a world builder that gets lost in the world building...
Make it as realistic as you want it to be. As long as it is coherent [if X is impossible, it has to stay impossible, or city A is on river B, it can't suddenly move, etc] then the story, if it is good enough, will pull the reader along.
About the cold... I saw a film at the weekend called Wind River [which I highly recommend]. A cause of death in the film was suffocation because of chocking on blood in the lungs. Apparently if it is cold enough and you take no precautions [say, when you are running for your life], then the blood can freeze in your lungs and tear them apart. I had never thought that possible.

Iapetus777

Scribe
Info dump! This planet is called Thalos IV. 60% of all landmass is considered tundras. All thing above 30 degrees north or 30 degrees south are comparable to Vostok station in temperature. The rest of the planet is considered more temperate, still cold on human standards however. The areas that are above their artic and and Antarctic circles were not inhabited by populations above 1000 until their year 1903. These people are not native to the planet but the records of how they got there have been destroyed by war. The Thalosians have United under one flag in their year 2130. They are now known as the Zai'Koth'Hora Imperium. The Zai'koth'hora Imperium is a hyper feminist society. The majority of political leaders are female. Only two instances have happened were a Male ascended to the Throne. Currently they have control over 324 star systems and 56 planet with a population over one billion. If the current crown family has no eligible heir to the Throne, then there is a challenge hosted by the family to see who will start the next dynasty of Godess Empresses. The process will be in the next post.

Last edited:

Iapetus777

Scribe
Godess Empresses from the current leading family, whom are chosen by the families elder counsel, will continously rule until there is no eligible heir to the Throne. Then a challenge is hosted. Any female from a royal family from the age of 14 to 16 can enter. They go through a difficult series of trials to prove their worth of their line. If successful, the current Godess Empresses will choose from the remaining young women to be her heir. The family name Zai'koth'hora will be transferred to the heirs family. The old royal line will revert to its original name. And a little on their hierarchy in government. Local governors report to the Elder counsel, whom vote on how said problem shall be resolved, then the Godess Empresses will make the final decision. The royal hierarchy is, 10th is knight, 9th is Baronet, 8th is Baroness/Baron, 7th is Viscountess/Viscount, 6th is Earl of Countess/Count, 5th is Marquise/Marquess, 4th is Princess/Prince, 3rd is Duchess/Duke, 2nd is Queen/King and 1st is the Godess Empresses or the God Emperor.