• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Would this have a chance of getting published?

Holoman

Troubadour
Hello everyone,

Over the last few years I have been developing (mostly in my head) a story about a man which journeys through his entire life, from late teens until old age which I want to write down. I wont go into the detail but its essentially about someone growing up in a fantasy world filled with social and racial injustice and oppression. The main character almost falls into a destiny of tackling the tyrany and oppression in the world and attempting to end centuries of war.

The problem I have is that it is a very long story, which I have estimated would span about 7 books as it stands now, but I have read that publishers are very unlikely to accept books from unknown writers that are part of a series, and prefer standalone stories. While the plans I have for each book are sorts of mini-stories with main themes and resolutions at the end, they all leave something at the end either unexplained, or unresolved which leads into the next book or leaves the main characters journey incomplete.

Would writing these as currently outlined be a waste of time, and do I need to completely rethink how to write them into being stand alone stories? Or should I just take the risk and write them how I think is best?

Thanks

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've always preferred a sort of "Discworld" or more recently Joe Abercrombie's approach. Write novels in the same world with some of the same characters, but don't make them rely on each other in any way. Meaning they're not exactly sequels, but books that can stand alone in the same world. That's my preferred method for writing at the moment. I much prefer to write a stand-alone novel and then continue to write in the same world with different story-lines, characters, etc. with some overlap. For instance, in Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy, Nicomo Cosca is a rather minor character that appears, while in his most recent one, "Red Country" he's one of the main characters.

However, this is my own preference. I think fans generally like to get a big series from writers they like if the series is on track to completion. People tend to not like incomplete works. If you feel like your story works best that way, then write it as seven books. Try to weigh the pros and cons though. Have you finished all seven books? Have you finished the first book?

I'd suggest making a list of what makes you want to write this story. Then see if you really need seven books to tell this story. If you do, then by all means, but like you said, some publishers may be more interested in a stand-alone book from a new author to see how you sell first. However, some things are unpredictable in publishing. Write the story you really want to write and do it justice the only way you know how. You'll be happier writing it if you're doing it the way you want to in the end.

Holoman

Troubadour
Thanks for the reply. I think one of the problems is that this is really my only idea, and all my best ideas have been merged into this one story. I dont plan on becoming a huge writer but rather wanted to write this one story as well as I can, as it seems to have just been developing in my head for so long, without really any intention to turn it into a novel at first but now thinking I should do and give it a go.

I haven't started to write properly but have most of the story in bullet points, I like to plan things out thoroughly before getting into the actual hard work.

I suppose I designed it as well to have the unanswered questions at the end of the books to make the reader want to carry on reading, thats one of things I enjoy most about a series of books, when you finish one and you immediately cant wait to start reading the next one.

JCFarnham

Auror
If you ensure that each book stands-alone there's no real reason for a publisher not to pick it up. I can definitely see that general outline working in your favour you know, just so long as you aren't going to be charting every moment of his life through the seven books. Pick the important moments :)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Thanks for the reply. I think one of the problems is that this is really my only idea, and all my best ideas have been merged into this one story. I dont plan on becoming a huge writer but rather wanted to write this one story as well as I can, as it seems to have just been developing in my head for so long, without really any intention to turn it into a novel at first but now thinking I should do and give it a go.

I haven't started to write properly but have most of the story in bullet points, I like to plan things out thoroughly before getting into the actual hard work.

I suppose I designed it as well to have the unanswered questions at the end of the books to make the reader want to carry on reading, thats one of things I enjoy most about a series of books, when you finish one and you immediately cant wait to start reading the next one.

A couple of things: First of all, finding a major publisher to accept your work is extremely difficult regardless. You have to write well, have an idea they're looking for, and have some degree of luck.

You have options, though. There are small publishers who may be more willing to take a chance on you if your writing/idea is strong enough. Second, you can self publish. It's not just for delusional people any more.

My suggestion is to start writing it.

1. Get a chapter done.
2. Get feedback. The Showcase forum here is excellent. Alternately, I accept short submissions for critique on my blog.
3. Incorporate the comments.
4. Go back to step 2 and keep repeating until your writing is up to snuff.
5. Finish your book.
6. Decide what to do from there.

At this point, the important thing is to write.

Face it, right now, your writing is probably dreadful. Seriously, in all likelihood, no one is going to want to read your story. It's difficult to create a competent story and really darn difficult to create one worthy of being published.

The good news is, you can learn, and the act of creating can be an extremely rewarding experience. The first time you write something and people like it is awesome.

Holoman

Troubadour
If you ensure that each book stands-alone there's no real reason for a publisher not to pick it up. I can definitely see that general outline working in your favour you know, just so long as you aren't going to be charting every moment of his life through the seven books. Pick the important moments :)

Well a lot happens to him throughout his life, and most of it is hopefully interesting :)

I'm pretty sure my writing is going to be terrible, even if I improve it, I'm just hoping the story is good enough and I can find a good enough editor to make it nice. I've looked at self publishing a bit, it does seem like its a viable option so I guess I'll just dive in and start writing it how I want to write it.

You might consider thinking in terms of short stories. It seems like you build the concept out of different ideas, so tackling some of the pieces separately might be easy enough.

And short stories are much better for early work, as a way to develop your grasp of what makes a story and how it all fits into its arc, without needing months and 70,000 words of sweat to see what you can of the big picture. Each short becomes a lesson in its own right.

Meanwhile, if your real interest is in the set of novels you've planned, you can define some parts of your world as side stories (for backstories or secondary characters?), and/or some as short- or novella-sized units along the central journey. That way you can write the grand story you want and also have the smaller steps that help you learn faster (and offer those as quicker-read teasers to build reader interest in the big tale).

Alexandra

Closed Account
... The problem I have is that it is a very long story, which I have estimated would span about 7 books as it stands now, but I have read that publishers are very unlikely to accept books from unknown writers that are part of a series, and prefer standalone stories....

Publishers are very unlikely to accept books from unknown writers period, so why worry about traditional publishers? If you're serious about tackling a project this large odds are bricks and mortar publishers won't be publishing much fiction at all by the time you're near completion (even your first novel), everything will be digital and the indie writer will rule the realm of fiction and all its principalities. The important thing, as many have already said, is write. Once you've got a product to sell, worry about how and where you'll sell it; until then tis nothing but idle speculation.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Here's a strategy for you. Write the first book, put everything you have into it, make sure it has a satisfying ending and can stand on it's own. BUT if things work out well, you make it so the ending of the first book allows you to continue. So you really only commit to writing that first book.

That's what some authors do. Write that first book. If it does well, they do a second. But if it falls flat, they don't piss off readers by leaving them with a cliffhanger.

As for writing series, I'm no expert, but I've heard 'people' say that having a series of books already finished can be a plus for selling a book. If the publisher really likes the first book and think it can be a good seller for them, it's really appealing because they don't have to wait for the writer to finish the series, or risk a bus hitting author and having the series never be finished. The publisher can plan ahead because everything is ready to go.

Last edited:

Holoman

Troubadour
Thanks for all the further advice. I've taken it on board and have just started writing, done about 2,000 words so far.

I will try as much as I can to make the first book a book in itself but it really is just the sort of opening up of the entire series and builds up to a major climax at the end which then opens up a completely different direction the series will go in. The first book is almost entirely about the main character finding out who he is, after waking up with no memory of his former self. Sounds a bit cliché writing it like that but hopefully it wont come across like that in the actual book! Once he finds out the story then opens up.

I'm enjoying the writing and after looking at the self publishing I think I will just plough on and plan to write at least the first few books regardless. After that if its a total flop I might wind the story up faster than currently planned.

My first draft of the first chapter is almost done, and its completely terribly written, but I think I can get it to something Im happier with. I think I'll re-read and re-write it a few times over the next couple of days and then share it here for some feedback on my writing. Its not something that comes naturally to me and I've realised that I lack even some of the basics of writing :p

Last edited: