• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Would you rather...

Twook00

Sage
Would you rather your work pay the bills but be forgotten after you're gone, or to not make a single cent during your lifetime but become beloved classics after?

Quillstine

Troubadour
Good question.
I have pondered on this muchly.... At first the answer was obvious. Who would not rather be renowned for the length of all eternity, crowned a classic and adored like a king. But then I thought about my bills, and them pilling up around me. The disconnections, the evictions and the likely law suits that would hunt me down.....stressful. Not to mention the lack of espresso, movie tickets and ribbons for my antique type writer that would then plague me. All this for accolades I my self will never receive or know of! Is that really worth it?
Now I like being a penniless wanderer who uses intuition, inventiveness and creativity to keep stomach pains at bay and the world rotating underfoot. But when I am in this mode, the lack of money never arises because the wealth is in all I am exposed to. Those I meet and that I see, and of course the knowledge that when I want to slip back into the materialistic world, I have the skills to do so with relative ease.
So for me....I guess it's I'd rather work and pay my bills and when I want them have my luxurious than be remembered as a classic. If I am happy with how lived, then forget me!
But I's rather be penniless and in a box than without passion. Remember my work or not, I want to burn for what I do rather than meander through life without seeking a true sense of accomplishment just to keep the re-possessors at bay.

Twook00

Sage
Well said! Frankly, I'd be incredibly lucky to have either, but I think I'd prefer to just pay the bills myself. I want to enjoy being a writer and see its impact first hand. Still, the thought of being a Tolkien or a Twain one day does have its appeal.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo all worked on commission. So, why can't I be a hack paying the rent, and be remembered? I'll take Door #3, thank you very much. ;) Mama needs her Frappe's!