• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Different Types of Characters

Lorna

Inkling
This question has come to mind following reflections on the evolution of my WIP. It began as a story about two young naive girls coming of age and trying to find their way in a world torn between a corrupt visionary and a hegemonic Order. Their perspective got axed in favour of the POV of a character who first appeared in their story as the red eyed villain.

The other main characters are: The corrupt visionary,who is in love with a man who is a figment of her imagination and has many forms. An alchemist whose city is his crucible and the essences of the city's people his mixture. A sweetmaker with a secret connection to some fiendish ice elementals.

My learning process has taught me I am better at writing characters with 'villainous' traits.

I'm wondering

What determines the type of character you are good at writing?
- Is it an innate ability, like being good at horse riding but rubbish at cooking?
- Is it determined more by emotion / intuition- you're drawn to and feel for a type of character so read more about that 'type' and write them?
- Is it a matter of practicing writing a type?

Do you try have a balance of characters or do you write the ones who inspire you / come to life?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Lorna said:
My learning process has taught me I am better at writing characters with 'villainous' traits.

Whenever I hear a writer say this I wonder if it's an issue of proactive character. Villainous characters, by their nature, are proactive and normally are the cause of the entire story. Because of this, writers often feel more affinity to these types.

Lorna said:
What determines the type of character you are good at writing?
- Is it an innate ability, like being good at horse riding but rubbish at cooking?

Sometimes. The character just has to be interesting for me to want to write about them. I like characters with flaws, insecurities, hidden strengths. For me though, I really love when there is something a bit dangerous about a character, something thats a central part of the character arc. Maybe they don't really understand it themselves at first.... Their growth is then interesting.

I don't think I have an ability with writing one more than another. If they're interesting, I'll throw myself behind them.... That's what I need for success.

Lorna said:
- Is it determined more by emotion / intuition- you're drawn to and feel for a type of character so read more about that 'type' and write them?

I do prefer my characters a bit grey when it comes to reading so my writing tends to head in that direction. The characters in my current WIP start out very good in nature but they all move towards a more morally grey area, some faster than others. I find these types of characters more realistic and therefore I have more sympathy for them. Hopefully, what I'm attempting is working.

Lorna said:
- Is it a matter of practicing writing a type?

I feel it's more in the realm of making a decision on archetype than it is practicing a type. I pay attention to character archetypes during the planning stages, select archetypes for main characters, use that as a framework in their development, and work with nuances within that archetype. Each character, even within the same archetype, will be different from another. Once they're well fleshed out, writing them as unique character types is easier. I still struggle with keeping their dialogue unique to them but I think that's improving. I now leave a lot of the dialogue characterization to be handled in the 2nd revision.

Lorna said:
Do you try have a balance of characters or do you write the ones who inspire you / come to life?

I write characters that makes sense for the story I want to tell. I look at the story idea and think " what kind of character would be affected by this in the most dramatic way?" Sometimes the character turns out being a frightened little girl. Sometimes a seasoned & jaded warrior will be more intriguing. I don't concern myself much with balance & I never bother with the idea of inspiration.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." - Jack London

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I don't know if I'm good at I writing characters of any type. :p But I've been told I write interesting minor characters that show up for a scene or two. I'm not entirely sure if that's good or bad, but for me just like major characters, I try to give my minor characters lives of their own outside of the story. So in some ways, the intersection of my story's major character and my minor character is like a meeting between two people who are the heroes of their own story. Even thought the reader won't get to see the minor character's story in full, the minor character still has a hero's story to live out.

I guess I just try to write about characters that interest me. For me, characters come to life and become interesting when they come to a point where there's an obvious path to take and they find a not so obvious direction to go instead.

Last edited:

Lorna

Inkling
@T.Allen.Smith
Whenever I hear a writer say this I wonder if it's an issue of proactive character. Villainous characters, by their nature, are proactive and normally are the cause of the entire story. Because of this, writers often feel more affinity to these types.
My struggle with my first pair of MCs possibly resulted from the fact they were victims of circumstances out of their control, had little understanding of the world or power to act. I think if written by a more sympathetic author their story could have had alot of pathos. I ended up wanting to give them a good kick...
Another reason their story didn't work was because was because they ended up staying with the Order who are traditional and conservative. Reactionary rather than proactive. I prefer writing radical characters / revolutionaries. I guess many people would swing the same way.

@Penpilot
the intersection of my story's major character and my minor character is like a meeting between two people who are the heroes of their own story.
You're very good to your characters. My minor characters get treated like the people I don't want to make the effort to get to know. Seen briefly then forgotten or avoided...

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
@Penpilot

You're very good to your characters. My minor characters get treated like the people I don't want to make the effort to get to know. Seen briefly then forgotten or avoided...

I'm good to some of my characters, but for the others, who says the minor character's story can't be a tragedy too? :devil:

Last edited: