• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing diplomacy

Hi, I'm writing a book about a man becoming a duke of a country which has been in semi-anarchy for 200 years which involves putting an end to the civil war and then a whole lot of diplomacy drama with neighboring countries, I think all of this is interesting but I'm worried that my readers will be bored with a political drama. Thoughts?

CT

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Who are your readers? I would imagine you would be writing such a book for people who like political drama? Right? Do you actually have a collection of flesh and blood 'readers' you are writing for, or do you just mean the general public? I know a lot of people who like political drama.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I think all of this is interesting but I'm worried that my readers will be bored with a political drama. Thoughts?
As Helio says, it depends on who your readers are. Even though it sometimes feels like it, it's very rare that there isn't anyone else who enjoys the same things we ourselves enjoy (but they can be hard to find). There's sure to be people who absolutely love political intrigue framed by a fantasy setting.
Sure, there may not be as many of them as there are people who love stories about tossing rings into volcanoes, but they're out there.

Fantasy doesn't have to be about chosen heroes and dragons. There's room for all stories. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Books of political chicanery behind the throne? Nah... They never sell.:whistle:
Game of Thrones is a political drama when you strip it back. The Dragons and the fighting are just methods of applying power.
I'm reading a book which the middle half has been about an election. There is some action but a lot of it has been about counting votes and getting people to support the "right" cause, using threats, coercion, bribery and outright force.
It is going to be in how you write it that means if people will read it.