• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing software

Messenger

Hi ladies and gents,

I am planning on starting my first fantasy novel and have a question. I have been writing my ideas in Microsoft word but I was wondering if most authors use some kind of software instead. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Personally I use Word for the actual writing. As far as notes go, I prefer using Scrivener. It helps me keep all of my characters, locations, factions, and such organized.

Reilith

Sage
I usually use Word, but I am giving a chance to yWriter. It is a writing software similar to Scrivener, but free to download. You can write your story in chapters, scenes, add characters, places, notes etc. I am still figuring out if it works for me.

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 using Tapatalk

Russ

Istar
I use Scrivener and am immensely happy with it.

Writers are all over the map with what software they use, but I am not convinced Word is well suited to the task.

Geo

Troubadour
I use Word. I have been using it for about 15 years, version after version. I've tried many others but not other software does everything Word does. It takes a bit to learn how to use it well, but once you do, you can do anything and everything you want (insert evil laugh here).

For work related documents, I use LaTex, because several journals prefer LaTex files (understandable since it was created for fast and good typesetting).

I use Scrivener and am immensely happy with it.

Writers are all over the map with what software they use, but I am not convinced Word is well suited to the task.

I'm using word for my outline and all the other info. that isn't the actual prose itself. I'm still getting everything together.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Most anything can work, Scrivener is the best I've seen and not costly, really. Organization and different compile settings for manuscript format and whatnot are sweet. I will write in whatever font my eyeball likes and Compile corrects it for different industry standards that are customizable. Also has note cards, which I got used to in screenwriting... then I use Aeon Timeline for keeping track of characters and their movements to make sure they line up, and so I don't forget what date I said such and such historical event happened, heh heh.

And got maps, character pics, religions, and lots of stuff organized right in Scrivener too, so I don't have to leave the one program for most anything, unless checking on the timeline.

Last edited:
I'll probably end up getting Scrivener when I'm ready to start actually writing and not just focused on researching and resource gathering.

Geo

Troubadour
Most anything can work.

Completely true! It is most significant to learn well how to use the software you have than the software itself.

If Scrivener is your thing, learn all the tricks. If you prefer OpenOffice, learn that, because the best software is the one you know everything about.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
If you are thinking of taking that plunge anyhow... consider that it's also a good program for keeping track of your research... I've got photos stored for locales that "inspire" description for writing in the book. That way you can stick research and ideas you know you'll use into the program so when you start writing, you won't have any downtime transferring stuff into it... if you would use it for such things, of course.

I'll probably end up getting Scrivener when I'm ready to start actually writing and not just focused on researching and resource gathering.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I use Scrivener. BUT speaking from experience, don't get caught up in thinking that you need a specific type of software to write or write well.

Honestly, any word processor will do. And until you figure out what your writing process is and what you need to optimize that process, you risk wasting your money and time better spent writing.

If you have Word, Word works fine. I wrote my first novel in Word. Brandon Sanderson uses word.

When I moved on to editing my first novel, I incorporated yWriter into the process to help organize my chapters and notes. Then I found Scrivener which did what yWriter and Word did for me, so I migrated to that.

But again, don't spend any money until you know more about your process. I mean some people write in notepad because they don't like the clutter of Word.

Writer's Café
For plotting, planning and organising my ideas, story-lines, characters etc. I've been using Writer's Cafe for a while. It's similar to Scrivener, though probably not as feature rich, but it does have a native Linux version which is why it's my preferred choice, even though it's no longer being actively developed.

LibreOffice Writer
For churning out the actual prose I fire up LibreOffice Writer which I actually much prefer over MS Word.

Sigil
When it's time to produce an EPUB ebook, Sigil is a very good open source program that can be downloaded for free.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of taking that plunge anyhow... consider that it's also a good program for keeping track of your research... I've got photos stored for locales that "inspire" description for writing in the book. That way you can stick research and ideas you know you'll use into the program so when you start writing, you won't have any downtime transferring stuff into it... if you would use it for such things, of course.

I picked up a copy. Not a bad price for what you get. We'll see how it goes.

Velka

Sage
Like others have said, I find Scrivner works best for me as an all-in-one program. I like how I can organize scenes and chapters into their own files, but still have easy access to hop between them through the tree and easily reorganize them using drag and drop. The index cards are handy for notes. I also like how you can bring in websites, images, pdfs, etc and organize them for easy access into research folders. Once you learn the ins and outs of the compile feature it painlessly produces manuscripts in different formats, and while I'm light-years away from publishing, there is something very cool about printing out a manuscript to then attack with an editing pen.