• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Software

Dreamhand

Troubadour
Michael Sullivan wrote a fabulous review of the new Scrivener software release (read his blog post here, and check out his other posts... the man shares superb insights here). After reading it and checking it out on the Scrivener site, I added it to my Christmas Wishlist. It looks like a fabulous program to support good writing habits and give writers more freedom in the construction (and de-construction and re-construction) of their work.

I was curious if anyone else out there is either A) Using writing software they enjoy or B) using conventional software (MS Word, etc) in a unique way that might help others get the most out of our keyboard time?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've tried Scrivener, Liquid Story Binder (which has been around quite a while for Windows, and which I like better than Scrivener), the online program Yarny, ywriter, and others. I end up going back to a simple text editor where I can just write what I want to write.

Larkin

Scribe
As just a plain word processor, rather than story-writing software per se, I very much enjoy Atlantis, as I've found it quicker/more responsive than Word and also packed with useful tools such as an overlong sentences analyzer and an overused words analyzer. (As someone who tends to fall prey to the curse of "slightly/a bit", that last one is extremely helpful for me, anyway.)

It has a 30-day full trial, and the cost of a registered product is a small fraction of the cost of Microsoft Word. If you want to, you can set it into a locked-down/distraction free format with some monkeying around, too, and, though it's designed for Windows, it runs well on WINE on my Linux-equipped netbook, too. (I have no idea if it runs on a Mac.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Larkin:

Looks interesting. What are the advantages over a free, lightweight word processor like Abiword?

Dreamhand

Troubadour
Larkin, I'd never heard of Atlantis... looks like a pretty cool app. I'm gonna download it and kick the tires. ;)

Steerpike, what was it about Liquid Story Binder that put it above Scrivener in your opinion? At first glance, they both appear to be packed with features.

Larkin

Scribe
Steerpike: Those tools mentioned above, PowerType to remember long and stupid words (think your typical fantasy hero name of Grignr McG'kglgowkrh), and a live word count (the lone reason I'm not using something like OpenOffice, either). The live word count alone was enough for me to pony up for Atlantis, which I use for Ph.D papers as well as writing and have never had problems with in that environment.

The advantages are worth $35 in my book anyway. I wouldn't say they were worth $100.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Steerpike, what was it about Liquid Story Binder that put it above Scrivener in your opinion? At first glance, they both appear to be packed with features.

I didn't use Scrivener as much, but in general I liked the set up and customization of LSB. The developer, Jesse, stays in close contact with the community and actually adds features people request on the listserv, so that was nice. I think the learning curve is a little steeper, but once you get into it I think you have a lot more room to make LSB work any way you want it to. But I didn't use Scrivener as much, and since I use linux now LSB isn't an option. I've reached the point where I just like a nice, clean full-screen text editor like Focuswriter :)

Steerpike said:
I didn't use Scrivener as much, but in general I liked the set up and customization of LSB. The developer, Jesse, stays in close contact with the community and actually adds features people request on the listserv, so that was nice. I think the learning curve is a little steeper, but once you get into it I think you have a lot more room to make LSB work any way you want it to. But I didn't use Scrivener as much, and since I use linux now LSB isn't an option. I've reached the point where I just like a nice, clean full-screen text editor like Focuswriter :)

Props for Focuswriter, I use it and yWriter for my stories when on my computer, linux desktop, yWriter works well under Mono.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Hmm. I might have to check some of this stuff out sometime. For now, though, I'm content with Word 2010. Although that bit about PowerType remembering names was pretty alluring as was the bit about Atlantis and the overused words deal. Although basic, I think Word is good enough. Sometimes I think trying to find new things to help you write and whatnot actually hinders it because you're thinking of the next best thing to help you write when all that needs done is a little focus.

On software though, I think my parents might be thinking about getting me that Dragon software (the one where you speak and it writes what you say), but I'm rather skeptical about it. How is it going to pick up if I mention the completely made up name of a character? Maybe there's a program within it that I can create a custom voice recognition for that. Who knows. In terms of efficiency, it might be a go, but I do tend to write the same sentence fifty times over until it says what I want it to.

Codey Amprim said:
Hmm. I might have to check some of this stuff out sometime. For now, though, I'm content with Word 2010. Although that bit about PowerType remembering names was pretty alluring as was the bit about Atlantis and the overused words deal. Although basic, I think Word is good enough. Sometimes I think trying to find new things to help you write and whatnot actually hinders it because you're thinking of the next best thing to help you write when all that needs done is a little focus.

On software though, I think my parents might be thinking about getting me that Dragon software (the one where you speak and it writes what you say), but I'm rather skeptical about it. How is it going to pick up if I mention the completely made up name of a character? Maybe there's a program within it that I can create a custom voice recognition for that. Who knows. In terms of efficiency, it might be a go, but I do tend to write the same sentence fifty times over until it says what I want it to.

I used Dragon a while back. Couldn't deal with my speech at first. I also found that when it did, I couldn't speak very fast, slower than I can type in fact.

I was faster typing than fighting with Dragon.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

myrddin173

Maester
I use a combination of yWriter and Word. Once I actually have money to play around with, I might look into purchasing Scrivener...

Larkin

Scribe
Hmm. I might have to check some of this stuff out sometime. For now, though, I'm content with Word 2010. Although that bit about PowerType remembering names was pretty alluring as was the bit about Atlantis and the overused words deal.

Quick clarification -- PowerType is a tool within Atlantis.

I know in text-to-speech programs, if it bungles the word, you can edit and type it in as you want it to sound (ie, for "cliche" [assuming it doesn't know that], if you type "clishay," it will pronounce it correctly). I'm not sure how it'd work the other way around, though. I am a faster typist than speaker (having done secretarial work back in the Dark Ages of about 2000 AD), so it's of no use to me as speech-to-text.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
I just used my NaNo discount to get Scrivener and I can say I enjoy it so far. I think (as the pitch and software tutorial states) is geared more for getting your ideas together and getting a first draft finished with ease. It does have a lot of bells and whistles that will appeal to any writer, but I get the feel that this program isn't meant for the heavy load.

I tinker with New Novelist, just for the readback features and the analysis of my writing. The real problem is that it is laggy as heck and demands I write in Word first before I use it.

I will have to check out Atlantis, see what the craze is all about.

EDIT: Oh yeah, White Smoke. Duh. $300 for the full version but SOOO worth it. It has helped me tighten my writing and gives me little tips to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:

Ness

Dreamer
I must have been living under a rock because I didn't even know there was awesome software like this available! No longer will I have to have my writing in dribs and drabs spread over multiple word documents and folders. Hooray! Scrivener looks perfect for me. *Adds to Christmas wish list*

zizban

Troubadour
I used to use FrameMaker (which is to a word processor what a sledgehammer is to a nail) but now I use only OpenOffice. It does what I need it to,

danr62

Sage
I'm actually using Google Docs so that I can be completely portable. Being able to work from any computer or my phone without having to worry about synching anything to a central location is very freeing.

A downside to this is that I have to have internet access. This can be a problem because at home the only internet connection I have is my phone, which I tether to the computer when I need it. If I go over my limit for high speed data my connection slows to a crawl. As long as I'm not watching a bunch of videos, this doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Ness

Dreamer
I bought Scrivener and am so far finding in really useful. I like its layout and it keeps me organised and motivated.