• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Sword-Fighting?

Devora

Sage
I've run into a dilemma in my writing.

I don't know how to write down a sword-fighting scene where one of the fighters (one of my MCs) is using a fighting style against an attacker.

The style i want to base it off of is Japanese sword-fighting style because I'm using the idea of basing the culture of Dark Elves in my story (which i actually call "Shadow Elves") off of Samurai Era of Japan.

Any advice or suggestions?

Also, even though I'm naming one style i would like the advice to be as if it were focused on other styles of sword-fighting as well.

You're being a bit vague and ambiguous here. Are you have trouble writing swordfights in general? Or is the problem describing that particular style? Only... you want the advice to be "as if" it was about other styles as well? :confused:

Butterfly

Auror
All I can suggest is take a look at how they move, strike, pause, prepare. Look at their facial expressions, their eyes and where they fix. How they evade blows, by spinning, leaping, tumbling away, etc. The sounds they make, growls, battle cries, grunts, etc. The sounds the weapons make when they clash against each other, or shield, or armour. Even, how the blood spurts and wounds open (depends on how detailed and gory you want it to be).

Make a list of words to describe these things so you know what you are trying to incorporate into your fight scenes.

Such as...

thrust, stab, slash, block, leapt, poised, stance, spun, evade, avoid, slide, skid, jarred, clanged, clashed, blade vibration, ring, pivot, teeter, tumble.

Also, choreograph the fight so you know where each character is, and where they can move. I've used simple things like circles on a bit of paper, counters you can slide around.

See what's on youtube to help you out.

Makai Tenshou 1981-Yagyu Jubei vs Tajima Nokami.mpg - YouTube

Samurai Fight Scene - YouTube

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
This is one of the parts of fantasy writing I struggle with. So much of what I want to describe, like sword fighting, archery, horseback riding, etc I either don't know how to do or have only a rank amateur's understanding. I therefore find it difficult to write these scenes in a meaningful way and I'm sometimes left with nothing but the hope the reader is as ignorant as I am...

Butterfly's suggestions seem quite useful. Maybe try to find some documentaries or videos about kendo or fencing? Though I suppose the modern sport versions may not be that applicable to an actual fight.

Shaun b.

Dreamer
Check out Iaido. Japanese swords were not made for fighting. They were made solely for killing. If they were used like in kendo, they would be useless within minutes.

from what i have heard conan barbarian movie(remake) used mixed mixture of martial arts and within the sword fights scenes to make them look more exciting

Devora

Sage
You're being a bit vague and ambiguous here. Are you have trouble writing swordfights in general? Or is the problem describing that particular style? Only... you want the advice to be "as if" it was about other styles as well? :confused:

I guess just focus on the Japanese Technique then. The thing is is that i want to have the Sword-style and the culture of my Dark Elves to be similar to the Edo Period of Japan since my Dark Elf MC's role would be that of a Samurai.

I'll second the advice to try to find nonfiction works that discuss this fighting style. Styles can generally be boiled down to patterns of moves and responses ("So if he goes for an over-the-shoulder blow, drop to one knee and block from below . . ."), and if you learn those patterns, then incorporate variables like terrain and weapon quality, you can write a battle as a kind of dance.

(Note that this only works for characters who actually know how to fight--amateurs may just swing at random.)

Alex97

Troubadour
If you're aiming to replicate the Samurai's way of fighting try and research it in as many ways as possible. I fence myself, but Kendo is probably one of the closest modern martial arts you'll get to Japanese sword fighting. I'd recommend watching some Kendo videos on youtube. Also take a look at some films: Last Samurai, 13 Assassins, 7 Samurai... They may not all be super accurate but at least you get a scenario where Samurai are fighting on a battlefield. There's also a number of books on the matter and plenty of websites.

To me the Japanese way of sword fighting is more graceful than its European counterpart (not necessarily better or worse). Samurai would fight with katanas and Diachi, Yari's and Naginata's (not sure spelling is correct). Shields weren't used, so fighting was more about the manipulation of the sword/weapon as opposed to bashing an enemies armour with a longsword. That's just my take anyway. I'm sure there's others on the forum with more knowledge.

Shaun b.

Dreamer
Samurai fighting was very exact and quick. lasting little longer than the opening blow. Imagine parrying a three foot razor blade?

Why not think up and name some moves that are descriptive in title and use those? I've seen a few writers do this quite effectively. Robert Jordan does it in WoT and I believe Rothfuss does something Similar.

Alex97

Troubadour
Samurai fighting was very exact and quick. lasting little longer than the opening blow.
That's true enough. I've read of certain fights during a clan feud where one Samurai killed another in a single move from the unsheathing of the katana. Might not be a very interesting fight to write about though.

Also forgot to mention that during battles the Samurai would seek each other out and fight one on one, so battles consisted of hundreds of duels. Of course this would have varied immensely from battle to battle and the Ashigaru (peasants) fought in a more regimented style.

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
I guess just focus on the Japanese Technique then. The thing is is that i want to have the Sword-style and the culture of my Dark Elves to be similar to the Edo Period of Japan since my Dark Elf MC's role would be that of a Samurai.

I wonder...if the goal is to portray the Dark Elf MC's role as similar to that of a samurai, do you need to copy the Japanese sword style also?

My impression of what makes a samurai is their position and behavior (i.e. warriors, often nobles, in a very status conscious, shame-and-honor based society, with a focus on loyalty and obligation to lord and family). If depicting that position and behavior achieves the "samurai effect" you're looking for, you might be able to use any fighting style you feel comfortable writing(potentially avoiding some heavy research).

Obviously this short cut won't work if mirroring the samurai fighting style is an integral part of your vision.

Check out Iaido. Japanese swords were not made for fighting. They were made solely for killing. If they were used like in kendo, they would be useless within minutes.

This is quite a generalization. It's true Japanese swords trade a bit of durability for added sharpness, so Japanese styles do tend to favor dodging over parries. But it's pretty silly to say Japanese swords can't be used in swordfighting.

Iaido is a specialized draw-technique, and to some degree a visualization excercise. But it's not the entire fighting art in itself; The art of fighting with a Japanese sword is called kenjutsu and pretty much looks like this:

Note the way they try to kinda swat away the opponent's blade, bind rather than block, use the flat or back rather than the edge, and plain avoid blade contact when possible. They'll still parry when required, though, because katana are not that fragile and besides, a chipped blade is better than getting cut.

(Though, it should be mentioned that "kenjustu" just means "swordsmanship." The Japanese didn't have one single fighting style - different schools could have very different techniques and the important thing was that you didn't die.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex97

Troubadour
I don't think Katanas are as flimsy as you make out. Despite the fact that they're not made for extensive bashing they would still have to cut through armour.

I don't think it was Iaido, but there is a martial art based on fighting multiple opponents (Japanese sword style) with a similar name.

EDIT: Swords are going to vary extensively based on the maker as well.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention that during battles the Samurai would seek each other out and fight one on one, so battles consisted of hundreds of duels.

Well, they did this before the Mongol invasions, anyway. Turns out that didn't work too well against the Mongols:

Hachiman Gudōkun said:
According to our manner of fighting we must first call out by name someone from the enemy ranks, and then attack in single combat. But the Mongols took no notice at all of such conventions. They rushed forward all together in a mass, grappling with any individuals they could catch and killing them.

Apparently this was also the first time the Japanese encountered battle cries, war drums and archers firing arrow rains rather than sniping at indiviuals.

The Mongols also forced the Japanese to redesign their swords a bit, because pre-invasion Japanese swords turned out to have some fairly fatal flaws against foreign armor technology.

I don't think Katanas are as flimsy as you make out. Despite the fact that they're not made for extensive bashing they would still have to cut through armour.

Swords do not cut through armor at all, as a general thing. That's the whole reason you wear armor in the first place. I mean, the cheaper type of leather armor? Maybe. The fancy heavy iron armors? No way.

EDIT: Swords are going to vary extensively based on the maker as well.

Well, in terms of quality, at least.

Devora

Sage
I wonder...if the goal is to portray the Dark Elf MC's role as similar to that of a samurai, do you need to copy the Japanese sword style also?

My impression of what makes a samurai is their position and behavior (i.e. warriors, often nobles, in a very status conscious, shame-and-honor based society, with a focus on loyalty and obligation to lord and family). If depicting that position and behavior achieves the "samurai effect" you're looking for, you might be able to use any fighting style you feel comfortable writing(potentially avoiding some heavy research).

Obviously this short cut won't work if mirroring the samurai fighting style is an integral part of your vision.

I obviously will give him the mentality of a Samurai, but i also plan to have a few scenes where he has to fight. I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture of the character. I want it to be authentic as possible. From the Philosophy to the Armor, to the swords and weapons, and to the fighting styles which both former points will be integrated.

I'm trying to base the Dark Elves of my story of the Japanese during the Meiji and Edo Periods of history. I'm starting with the Samurai Class, then i would go to the royals, then down to the Peasants, and then find the relationship between all the class and the little nuances they have to show towards each other.

Last edited:

Alex97

Troubadour
Swords do not cut through armor at all, as a general thing. That's the whole reason you wear armor in the first place. I mean, the cheaper type of leather armor? Maybe. The fancy heavy iron armors? No way.
Luckily for sword makers the Japanese relied mainly on leather armors - until the Europeans arrived anyway.

You make a fair point, however if you're swinging at a heavily armoured opponent, you're probably going to impact on his armour at some point, even if you are going at the exposed bits. If you're sword breaks when it hits... well, it's not a very good sword.

Last edited:

Nan desu ka?!

Anyway, I guess I agree with Anders on this one...AND ON A SWORDFIGHTING THREAD :eek:—quick, play the lottery!!