• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing tools

Varamyrr

Minstrel
Greetings,

I was wondering, pure out of curiousity, what tools you guys are using for writing, brainstorming, worldbuilding,...
Personally I running with the current configuration:

Scrivener: Actual Writing
Excel: cool stuff-file
Aeon Timeline: making sure all my events happen at the right time(outlining based on dates)
Mindmap: outlining thoughts + storylines
Photoshop: making the map
& all of that is running on my Macbook

Kr,
Varamyrr

Ireth

Myth Weaver
OpenOffice Writer - various documents pertaining to my writing (stories, worldbuilding notes, timelines, etc.)
Good ol' pencil and paper - for when I am away from my computer and inspiration strikes
My brain - for holding ideas when neither my laptop or pencil+paper are at hand (XD)

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Well, I don't have a lot of tools at my disposal, but:

Microsoft Word 2000 - Writing, outlining, world building, etc.
OmmWriter - Rough draft, because it lacks distractions.
MS Paint - Mapping
Pen(cil) and paper - Bestiary sketches, or writing down ideas as they come.

Word for writing, One Note for keeping track of notes, I have been playing with Liquid Story Binder a bit for the timeline stuff, and some of the other cool toys.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Word, OneNote, and a little bit of Excel.

The one map I have, I drew it with colored pencils and scanned it - actually, I scanned it in multiple phases so it would be easy to print it, change something, and scan it again.

SeverinR

Vala
MS 2007/10 (Depending on work or home)-world building, character list, beastiary, and each book itself.
Paint-mapping towns
I foget the terrain mapper program.
Excell-once, (forget what for.)

I use MS word alot. I have an Encyclopedia for my world. I have seperated the volumes though, ten pages of table of contents kind of slows down finding the item your looking for.
Magic, beastiary, character compilation, World history.
I did Onenote before, but when computer crashed, I pulled information from a flashdrive and it was saved as a mass of works, rather then saved in Onenote form.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I thought the point of Scrivener was that you didn't need all that other junk. Except for map-making software if you want maps, I suppose.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I use Scrivener for most of my writing. I use Excell to do the initial basic plotting. Manipulating the tables there are easer than in Scrivener, and it's a format that's easer to transport from machine to machine. But once I've got most of it down, I put it all into scrivener and that's what I work with.

I use wikipad to keep all my ideas, but once I begin to write out an idea, I copy and past into a scrivener project.